Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
If a student has some difficulty of training southpaw or vice versa, then, for training purposes, secure the dominate arm so it can't move. Forcing the non-dominate to learn. Slowly but surely, the non-dominate arm will learn what it needs to learn.

It goes down to familiarity, imho.

Man that is a blast from the past technique. An old instructor (boxing) of mine tied my right arm up for two months until I learned to use my left.

Thanks for jogging the old memory Bob. Great stuff!

Thanks, and you're welcome Ken!! After all, I'm old school too!!

LastKing
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Freestyle karate, kickboxing, tai chi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that, guys. Much appreciated.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
If a student has some difficulty of training southpaw or vice versa, then, for training purposes, secure the dominate arm so it can't move. Forcing the non-dominate to learn. Slowly but surely, the non-dominate arm will learn what it needs to learn.

Man that is a blast from the past technique. An old instructor (boxing) of mine tied my right arm up for two months until I learned to use my left.

My former sensei tied me to another student once so I couldn’t “run” during sparring. He tied us together with a belt’s length between us. He did it to a few others here and there too.

Thanks for jogging my memory. I hadn’t thought about that one in years

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
MatsuShinshii wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

My former sensei tied me to another student once so I couldn’t “run” during sparring. He tied us together with a belt’s length between us. He did it to a few others here and there too.

LOL!!

Yep, I've done that more times than I can remember. I've tied them to me!! Now, that gets their attention really quick...saucer eyes and all; and they can't run far, if at all.

Life has its little perks as the CI. I've told my students that one of the biggest reason that they are in my dojo is that they're my only source of entertainment, and I get bored really quick. I mean this in the most harmless way. After all, much of the drills that I've created definitely challenge and help them to reach their AHA moments, and that is the primary reasons, but, well, I do get bored.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
JR 137 wrote:
MatsuShinshii wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

LOL!!

Yep, I've done that more times than I can remember. I've tied them to me!! Now, that gets their attention really quick...saucer eyes and all; and they can't run far, if at all.

Life has its little perks as the CI. I've told my students that one of the biggest reason that they are in my dojo is that they're my only source of entertainment, and I get bored really quick. I mean this in the most harmless way. After all, much of the drills that I've created definitely challenge and help them to reach their AHA moments, and that is the primary reasons, but, well, I do get bored.

Do I detect an evil grin? It's good to be the King! ROFL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: