Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we had to do a little bit of teaching today and he taught us:

C lear
L oud
A s an order
P auses

then everyone had to go up and teach a stretch or warmup with what there doing and why and stuff.

this post is for posting any tips for other teachers. even though youve probably already worked it all out.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a teacher of karate and also high school history. I know you got to teach your own way. Don't try and do it the same as your teacher unless that is the best way for you.
You got to find your own method to get across your point.

Being a teacher you got to do the best job you can by the means you can best use your ability. Its good to take ideas and things from others but too many people try and be a carbon copy of someone else. Be yourself and do what you do best.

At the end of the day you can look yourself in the miror and know you did it the best you could.

When your a teacher the one thing you got to realize is that you are now the boss. If you doubt yourself the class will doubt you. So come off as best you can and the only way to do that is to play to your strength and be honest with them.

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen G95

When I taught (not much, but enough to know some stuff) in TSD, I would first go over a technique slow, and let them ask questions. If I didn't have the answer, I'd go find it I also would teach kicks this way: I would have them hold on to a chair or stretch bar (for balance), and have them do the kick in slow motion. I would show/correct them if needed. This way they can get a "feel" for the technique. This is how I was taught. I would show them first usually, then let them try. To me, I think it's better to show them first to let them see how to do stuff, then try to explain it, then let them try.

koreantiger81
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice thread XpOiSoN FrEeX! That's right you have to be
C lear
L oud
A s an order
P auses
go here for my thread on instructor styles: http://www.karateforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=2935&forum=7&4
http://www.karateforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=2936&forum=7&14

anyway, i've trained and still am training under many different instructors and I am an instructor myself...I believe the role of the instructor is to critique each student, set goals for each student, discipline, and maintain or heighten the interest of their students

The most common complaint that I have with instructors who don't know how to teach is that they don't give each student enough personal attention. They constantly drill their students..The students go home learning that they have increased their fitness level! I believe in constant constructive critisim...extreme multiple critism is not recommended, since you'll give your students too much to absorb! I concentrate on one simple technique for the whole class..When I teach forms(katas, patterns), i Don't teach them all of it in one class..I teach it in bits and pieces...Once they get the hang of it, i explain the purpose of the movements...I find some instructors try to teach the whole form in one class!!! A BIG MISTAKE!!! That'll just frustrate students and will bore them to death...Especially for young children, it really doesn't make sense to cram them with so much info all in one class...Teaching should be done step by step, not all in one big step..
.Once class comes to a near, I sit everyone down and check each of my students one by one...I give them one or two suggestions or goals, to better their technique..(remember giving too much suggestions will frustrate them..)I believe this is probably the most crucial part of their martial arts learning...Giving attention to each student in the class is important.

Another pet peeve I have is having all ranks in one class doing the same technique...I know small schools don't have a choice to have a class with different ranks; however, having the red belt do a front kick a million times with the white belts, will just bore them!!! Why not give something more challenging to the higher ranks to spark their interest, while the white belts do the front kick?

Lastly, the worst thing is having a higher belt student teach a lower belt..

"YOu can be a good martial artist, but that doesnt' mean you can be a good teacher."

[ This Message was edited by: koreantiger81 on 2002-08-01 03:40 ]

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An acronym we use when teaching techniques:
T arget - where you're hitting
W weapon - what you hit with (knuckles, ball of foot, instep, etc)
A pplication - how and when to use the technique
T echnique - nitpicking on details

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohh i like the * one. i think we should do teaching acronyms!!

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we get plenty of jokes about that one.

The other one is IDEAS:
I ntroduction (quick introduction naming and explaining the technique)
D emonstration (demonstrate the technique, both at full speed and broken down)
E xplanation (explain the principles of the technique, mechanics, and use *)
A ction (practice the technique a couple of times, both broken down, to a count, and on equipment)
S ummary (summarise the technique, cover the first four parts again, but at speed)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

ZeRo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe keep 'um coming please.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2002 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this before somewhere. In my womens SD class I use.

G. E. T.

Groin
Eyes
Throat

Then Get out of Dodge.

Bretty101
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-08-02 00:59, G95champ wrote:
...womens SD class I use.

G. E. T.

Groin
Eyes
Throat

Like it!!

In myopinion this is the best and most practical self defence you can teach to some one with no formal training. Simple and effective is what you need when it hits the fan!!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: