Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

cross
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:16 am    Post subject: Technique Assessment Reply with quote

Assessing the techniques you train and/or teach is essential if your intention is using them for effective self defense.

These are not set in stone rules, just some guidelines and ideas(in no particular order) that will allow you to assess how relevant your training is for self protection purposes. Keep in mind you can take any singular technique or combination of techniques and apply the guidelines below. Also im interested if you think there should be any other guidelines included within this structure.

1. Natural reaction

Is the technique based around your bodies natural instinctive reactions? This is not to say that the technique must be you EXACT natural reaction. But your training methodology should be aimed to improve your natural reactions and build on them, because the further the technique strays from what your body already wants to do, the longer it will take to learn and it will be much harder to retain and perform in high stress situations.

2. Gross motor

Is the technique a gross motor movement involving large muscle groups? In the event of an attack where you perceive to be prey, the body experiences an adrenaline dump which limits, if not completely removes your ability to perform fine motor movements, until the perceived threat is removed or the shift has been made from prey to predator. Not to mention the more complex a technique is, the harder it will be to perform and retain has mentioned in point 1.

3. Opponents Reaction

Does the technique or combination of techniques rely on your opponent to react in a specific way to one or all of the techniques? Unless you are training a combination with everyone possible reaction being factored in, a far more sound strategy is to react spontaneously based on what your opponent is offering.

4. Specific ability

Does the technique rely on specific ability that you might have personally, or that a certain group of people(i.e. males, athletes) might have? This is particularly important when teaching self defense to others, if you can make a move work, then by all means train it and use it, but if the reason for your success with the technique is based on your exceptional athletic ability or brute strength etc, then it most likely wont be applicable to the majority of people who want to learn to defend themselves.

5. Risk vs Reward

What risks are you taking by using the technique, versus what you might gain by performing it? I.e what good is winding up for a huge knockout punch that could potentially end the fight if it lands, but also will put you off balance, in a poor position and leave you open to a large amount of counters if you miss? This is all about playing percentages, go for the high percentage techniques.

6. Allowance for weapons

This is specifically for defensive techniques(blocking/jamming/parrying etc). Does the technique make allowances for the possibility of a weapon? I.e. can the block you use for a round punch to the head be executed without modification to defend against a knife slash to the throat? Being the the attackers body mechanics for a punch and a slash are the same, with the exception of the end result(getting hit or getting cut). This is important because in the majority of cases that a weapon is involved, the person being attacked doesnt realize there is a weapon present and in the case of a knife often dont know they have been stabbed until well after the fight.

7. Allowance for multiple attackers

Does the technique put you in a compromising position if multiple attackers are involved? I.e. attempting submissions on the ground that leaves you vulnerable to being stomped etc. This is important because whilst you may be initially fighting one person, in the blink of an eye, his/her friends or even bystanders can step in to help one or both parties.

Has i mentioned, these are just some guidelines, if your goal specifically self defense, most of these should be followed when it comes to technique selection. Finally to make sure the technique will be with you when it counts, making your training resemble reality has much as possible will greatly improve your chances of retaining and applying the technique if you have to use it.

Thanks for taking the time to read,

Cross.

KNOCKuOUT
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kenpo, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good post. I enjoyed reading it.

The BB of C
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kuk Sool Won, Isshin-ryu, Capoeira, Brazillian Jiu Jutsu, Judo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty good. Very well thought out.

Kajukenbopr
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kajukenbo - Emperado Method

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yiquan is the style for u, my friend.

you can also look it up as Dachengchuan

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are very good, simple points. Thanks for sharing.

yamesu
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin. MT. Arnis. Judo. JediMantre.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Positively good post.
Cheers

marie curie
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ko Sutemi Seiei Kan Karate, Kajukenbo, Kodokan Judo, Gracie Barra Jiu-Jitsu, Olympic Tae Kwon Doe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't seen this before- but great analysis!

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
-Lao Tzu
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: