Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Techniques used but not in your art Reply with quote

How many use techniques that do not come directly from their art. For clarity sake lets confine this to the techniques found within the Kata only.

Do you practice strikes, punches, kicks, etc. that are not found in your Kata's?

I was responding to a post and explaining how many kicks have been added as Kihon but are not found within the Kata and it got me to wondering just how many practice techniques that are not from their own art during class.

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Techniques used but not in your art Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
How many use techniques that do not come directly from their art. For clarity sake lets confine this to the techniques found within the Kata only.

Do you practice strikes, punches, kicks, etc. that are not found in your Kata's?

I was responding to a post and explaining how many kicks have been added as Kihon but are not found within the Kata and it got me to wondering just how many practice techniques that are not from their own art during class.

Yes we do, in particular boxing instructions against mitts/shields. Turning the hole body, told to completely abandon what we just drilled in Kihon(basics) . And it makes Zero sense.

That's ITF taekwondo for you. Its parent art Shotokan might be more consistent.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly do. Mawashi-geri isn't present in any of my Shorin-Ryu kata, although it is implicit in the Seiyunchin kata of Goju-Ryu, and can also be seen as an angled mae-geri, if you really want to justify it. Regardless, I enjoy it, and it suits a purpose. I'll occasionally work some other techniques for sport fighting, for fun, despite them not being in the kata. Most of my time is spent on the techniques found in kata, so occasionally working some things for fun isn't the end of the world. I also work some hand formations that aren't present in any of my kata--ipponken variants, for example--since they can easily augment my kata applications.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

mushybees
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wado ryu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We train a lot of techniques that are utilised in shiai kumite where 70% of what we learn is abandoned

Wado Heretic
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Wado-Ryu , Kobayashi Shorin-Ryu (Kodokan), RyuKyu Kobojutsu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the student; I have a core selection of Kihon-Waza, which I was taught in Shorin-Ryu, and which I have mapped to the Kata in my teaching approach, so my students can under the integral links. In terms of formal Kihon-Waza, I have incorporated a few from my Wado-Ryu and Kempo background, but because they are largely variations on the formal Kihon-Waza of Shorin-Ryu, and I consider them useful for pragmatic self-defence and application study. About 15% of the fundemental, and required, Kihon-Waza I teach is not found in the kata.

My students who come to me to study Karate as a reality based self-defence system; I do teach a number of techniques from Gracie Combatives, and other self-defence paradigms.

My students whom compete I teach a number of kicking techniques, kick-boxing combinations, and shoot-fighting techniques which are not readily found in the kata.

So really depends on the student; depending on the end goal of a student they might learn far more techniques than found in the kata, or kata applications. So might learn a few variations I show them, but will be very grounded in the kata.

GojuRyu Bahrain
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu, Shotokan, Kobudo, Uechi Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my Goju Ryu training I regularly include Mawashi Geri because it is fun & effective in sport fights. For self defense training I like -and use a lot- Shuto Uke (based on Iain Abernethy's drills) which ties in very nicely with Kake Uke and Mawashi Uke limb control. It might be implicit in Kururunfa Kata, though... I also include boxing style drills/combinations but would consider those somewhat included in Goju Ryu as Oi Zuki, Gyaku Zuki, Kagi Zuki, Furi Uchi Ken etc..

@ Wastelander: I would be curious about where you see the Mawashi Geri implicit in Seyunchin Kata? To my understanding it is a wrestling Kata without kicks (of course it includes sweeps!)

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been cross training outside of Shindokan for as long as I can remember, and while Shindokan is my core, and it's an effective core, it's not complete!! Neither is any other MA, imho!!

My personal arsenal is widely varied because of my extensive cross training in the MA. The situation(s) beget the technique(s) that I'll bring forward with an determined resolve on my attack(s).

Whenever I'm teaching at the Hombu, I'm strictly held to the purity of the Shindokan methodologies and ideologies when teaching the curriculum. Albeit, within my dojo, I do teach that Student Body many things that are not Shindokan.

I don't learn or teach the MA to be politically correct!!

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing how Okinawan karate was practised and taught earlier in it’s recent history, it is highly likely that several techniques have been adopted and shared from one “system” to another.

If one goes back even further, there are some techniques that have been directly from Chinese systems and still very much recognizable as such when compared. Even within a single system, every instructor will have unique influences that depend on how, when and from by who they were taught.

Practically every single head of each style of Okinawan karate on Okinawa has has experience in another style besides the one they teach. The longer they have been active, the more this is likely. Many consider that the instructor is more important than the style and may change from one to another for this reason. In the end it matters little if something is from another system. If it works, is useful and goes well with everything else, why not?

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GojuRyu Bahrain wrote:
For my Goju Ryu training I regularly include Mawashi Geri because it is fun & effective in sport fights. For self defense training I like -and use a lot- Shuto Uke (based on Iain Abernethy's drills) which ties in very nicely with Kake Uke and Mawashi Uke limb control. It might be implicit in Kururunfa Kata, though... I also include boxing style drills/combinations but would consider those somewhat included in Goju Ryu as Oi Zuki, Gyaku Zuki, Kagi Zuki, Furi Uchi Ken etc..

@ Wastelander: I would be curious about where you see the Mawashi Geri implicit in Seyunchin Kata? To my understanding it is a wrestling Kata without kicks (of course it includes sweeps!)

As a Shorin-Ryu guy who does a handful of Goju-Ryu kata, I'll let a proper Goju-Ryu practitioner cover that one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbmI-pzkqAY
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do a ton. In fact, we use kata not found in our art. Isshinryu only has eight empty hand kata but we require fifteen forms for Shodan.

We learn three non-Isshinryu kata as a preparation before learning the first Isshinryu kata (which is admittedly very complicated for beginners, especially children). We then have non-Isshinryu forms sprinkled throughout our curriculum-- including a Kung Fu form we learn as the first brown belt kata to "shake up" the new brown belt and make him or her move differently than they're used to.

One of our instructors is also a 5th degree black belt in TKD, so we also do a lot of TKD style fancy kicking. Okinawan styles don't have fancy kicking, but we learn jumping/spinning/flying kicks from our instructor with the TKD background.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: