Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of you have more or less said the same thing, and the way I've promoted in the past - you meet certain criteria and are asked/told to promote. I guess I'm not going crazy.

I'd quote some posts by others regarding promotion, but the context wouldn't be accurate in a simple quote, and I don't feel like digging through threads to find them.

I was just wondering how common it is to be able to test when the student feels they're ready rather than when the instructor feels they're ready. it seems like some places have testing on certain dates, and anyone who wants to can try. Just seems odd to me to not be invited, but test anyway; kind of like an open testing policy.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
All of you have more or less said the same thing, and the way I've promoted in the past - you meet certain criteria and are asked/told to promote. I guess I'm not going crazy.

I'd quote some posts by others regarding promotion, but the context wouldn't be accurate in a simple quote, and I don't feel like digging through threads to find them.

I was just wondering how common it is to be able to test when the student feels they're ready rather than when the instructor feels they're ready. it seems like some places have testing on certain dates, and anyone who wants to can try. Just seems odd to me to not be invited, but test anyway; kind of like an open testing policy.

To the bold type above...

If this happens, imho, there's no use in having an instructor as well as a governing body!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: