Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

AndrewGreen
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Crazy Penguin Ninjitsu

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea on their part, from a money making POV.

You've invested 3-years of training, want to have it recognized, pay up or you get nothing.

If even a few pay, they're laughing. And with most people quitting shortly after black anyways, what do they got to loose?

$6000 would cover you for 5 years easily at most places. If they can get it out of you all in one shot, and then probably send you on your way soon after, if 1 / 10 who reach that point pay up that's a pretty sweet deal.

So, I'd say find a new school, one that is honest about their business practices.

Andrew Green
http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

jaymac
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: shotokan (nidan)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot believe that a school would charge such a fee. I am not against testing fees. In my school it starts a $15.00 per person and by black belt test, cost is approximately $100.00 per person. It costs money to open a school on an off day. Costs of heat/air condition, electricity, etc... Our BB testers also get new belt, new ghi, t-shirts, and new manual. Well worth the cost.
If this is true, you must be paying for the electric for a year in that place But seriously, maybe you should shop around for another school of the same style. They may even recognize your current rank and promote you after seeing that you have proven yourself in their school. Be open minded if you do leave. The new school will most likely have some differences that they will expect you to learn. Good luck.

armanox
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu, Hapkido, Aikido

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.......In Shorin Ryu there are no testing fees. For that matter, the only things that my instructor had to pay for was his teaching certification ($200) and his 7th dan, both issued by Katsuya Miyahara
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

patusai
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: So Ryu, Shorin Ryu, Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

armanox wrote:
Wow.......In Shorin Ryu there are no testing fees. For that matter, the only things that my instructor had to pay for was his teaching certification ($200) and his 7th dan, both issued by Katsuya Miyahara

Excellent!!

greenbelt_girl15
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Cuong Nhu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yikes! $6000! That is just stupid, at our dojo testingis free up to two black stipes,black belt testing is $100.Which seems resonable,but $6000!Sorry but I don't think that I would ever pay that much for testing.

TigerDude
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's clearly outrageous. That's just a pathetic thing to do to your students.

Holland
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Isshinryu, Okinawan Kobudo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume the testing fee includes a team of scantily clad dancing girls which show up to the incredibly well organized mega bash that the instructors must be throwing for you. Several full body messages, a 24 karate gold embroidered black belt, a full set of shureido weapons, and several brand new tailored uniforms must be included as well.

Even so, it would be a rip off.

ebff
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Sabre, a tiny bit of Wing Chun, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imagine failing, and having to pay another 6 grand for another test...
Ridiculous. Find another school I say, even if you have to work another year to adapt to their style - then you will have earned your black belt rather than bought it (not blaming you!).
$6000... that's unbelievable... I know many people who can live for a year with that...

NothingsShadow
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Karate-do, Kendo

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that $6000 is ridiculous but not unheard of, I have heard of a few dojo's that have grading fees this high. I think you really need to look at what your grading fee is getting you. Some smaller schools don't have the resources to grade above shodan, hence they may need to bring in instructors from interstate or overseas to carry out a grading, this costs money. That said a can't see that the cost of importing several instructors from the other side of the world (which is about what $6000 would get you) should fall to one student who is attempting shodan after 3 years with the dojo. This is obviously a farce and I personally would start looking for another place to train.

Fortunately in our dojo there is rarely the need to import high level sensei to sit on grading panels so our grading fees are on a sliding scale. They start at about $50 for your first grade and by the time you get to shodan your gradings are free. This is because the more time you put into your training and the more you put into the dojo the less you need to support the dojo financially. Our dojo is a non-profit dojo and any fees collected are put back into the running costs of the dojo. The lower grades contribute financially, the higher grades contribute with there experience. That said everyone pays the same training fees.

Sohan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Karate-Do, Muay Thai, Shudokan Karate-Do, Boxing, BJJ, Hung Gar Gung Fu

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, this smells of a practical joke to me. Where has our original poster gone?

With respect,

Sohan

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: