Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Sohan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Karate-Do, Muay Thai, Shudokan Karate-Do, Boxing, BJJ, Hung Gar Gung Fu

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holland wrote:
I see where you are coming from Jaymac...but how much does it really cost to open the building?

I am not saying people should not charge to test...but I think people use it as a money making device for a dojo. (not saying your school is...just an observation of other schools) This can lead to an instructor testing people early or undeservingly just because of the income it brings in.

As I have said, I have no rent....so when I test I charge six bucks a test, because that is what the belt costs me.

For black belt I personally buy the candidates heavy weight shureido belt out of my own pocket. It is a gift from me to the student. There is no fee to test for black belt at my dojo.

Exactly. I guess I don't see why a dojo that charges a reasonable monthly fee for training needs to charge for testing. Seems like it's more about revenue generation than the best needs of the student. Testing should be part of the package---I mean, come on, who's going to train alongside others getting promoted if they're not going to be promoted? It's not really an option.

With respect,

Sohan

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

Aodhan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: ATA TKD, WTF, Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With some of the nationally governed systems, the national body charges the studio for testing. This covers producing certificates, keeping track of the history of the student, etc.

Where it gets exorbitant is when the school owner doubles, triples or more the fee that goes to the national HQ.

Holland, how many students do you have? A heavyweight shureido is about $200 US, and we generally have at least 3-5 people each testing. So that would be $600 to $1000 every two months, or $3600-$6000 per year. That's quite a chunk of change for some instructors to swallow.

I've been thinking about giving swords (Non sharpenable display type) engraved with the students name and date of rank when I open my school. Wholesale you can pick them up for $30 or so, and will be something they will have forever.

Aodhan

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: