Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Kieran-Lilith
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Eugue Ryu, Iaido, Aikido

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:38 pm    Post subject: Testing for 6th and 5th kyu Reply with quote

Well, Atalanta071 and I are both up for testing, at the same time, again. In February, she will test for 6th kyu, blue belt, and I'll test for 5th kyu, green belt. She has the easier part, if you ask me. She has to know three-four kata, terms, and techniques. I have to know four-five kata, terms, techniques...and I have to fight everybody in the class for an hour and a half, if I'm not mistaken. And nobody will tell me what it's like. Oh well. Hey, does anyone else have to fight for a kyu test? If so, what kyu?

DragonMike
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my school, we have to fight for every test regardless of the rank being tested for. The number of opponents and duration varies depending on the rank being tested for.

unknownstyle
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Matsumura Seito Shorin Ryu and Uechi Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

same here, i think the worst is your first test though, since youve never done it you dont know what to expect and you push yourself well beyond the limits, in the higher rank tests ive had a easier time because i was relaxed, the test were harder but when you know what to expect it is a little easier

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree unknownstyle. I had to fight every test for both (TKD and TSD) styles (except for white belt). Now I'm testing for BB in April. I have to fight two on one for, at least, three matches (that's after getting pooped by numerous one on one matches).

I'm getting a bit "spooked" by the test, but I know what to expect (my man went through it first. He gave me details). I think that will help. I can prepare for the test (I just hope it doesn't change LOL).

Drithen
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Bushido-Kai Kyokushin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10 back to back 2 minute fights plus fighting against multiple opponents for shodan... I dread that test...
"Whatever you do, do from the heart, as for the Lord and not for others. -Colossians 3:23

blackwatch
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: black promotionals Reply with quote

I would like to know what running in the middle of the night has to do with bb testings. When I sat my sandan test it lasted about 3 hours only because there 5 shodans and 1 nidan testing. I performed the shodan and nidan tests along with the others.I was given 2 weeks notice that I was testing. When your ready to test you know it.Forced runs in the middle of the night and sit up and push ups seam to me to be more like mental and physical cruelty and have no bearing on earning any black belt.

Rateh
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: WTF Taekwondo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sparring is required for testing starting at blue belt in our dojo. Though if you are good opponent for someone who is testing, you may spar during an earlier test, but it wont count towards your passing or failing.

solar_kid
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We always have free sparring on our tests, even for white belts taking the test for the first time. Of course, for the lower belts, you spar against an instructor(s) who approach the exercise with the appropriate level of restraint for the test taker.

When I took my recent test for 3rd kyu, though, the examiner paired me with another student testing for the same grade. I didn't expect that! Completely different experience!

Our black belt tests properly feature several rounds of free sparring against multiple opponents.

patusai
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: So Ryu, Shorin Ryu, Isshin Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was back a number of years...We only were awarded three belts (green, brown and Black). We needed to enter one outside major tournament at each level. Again, this was years ago and the process has probably gotten better
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: