Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Testing Tips From White to Black Reply with quote

Testing tips from white to black.

What tips do you recommend from white belt all the way up to black belt.

This also could be the right time to ask higher belts questions, in helping you to move up to the next level.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Testing Tips From White to Black Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Testing tips from white to black.

This also could be the right time to ask higher belts questions, in helping you to move up to the next level.

Put forth the effort and learn. Only testing tip I can give.

There is no big secret as far as I am concerned. Learn the information of each grade and put forth the effort. The more you do the better you get and the better the chance you have of progressing.

As far as tips for taking a test goes, make sure you have put in the effort, know your material and relax and do what you know. Some students psych themselves out before testing due to nerves. If you have put forth the effort and have learned the information for each grade you have little to worry about. The instructor will not invite you to test until your ready to test.

Other than that there are no mysteries. Learn and give 100%.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a black belt, yet. But I hope to in a few years. I would highly recommend that anyone who starts martial arts training at an older age (I started at 36) without a history of athletic training go get checked out by a doctor, first. I really wish I met up with a physical therapist and maybe a chiropractor before jumping in. I suspect I'd be getting ready for 4th geup soon, rather than testing for 5th geup.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
I don't have a black belt, yet. But I hope to in a few years. I would highly recommend that anyone who starts martial arts training at an older age (I started at 36) without a history of athletic training go get checked out by a doctor, first. I really wish I met up with a physical therapist and maybe a chiropractor before jumping in. I suspect I'd be getting ready for 4th geup soon, rather than testing for 5th geup.

Good points.

Unfortunately it's not just new students. As we age, even though we train, our bodies break down a bit and things like arthritis and popping/creaking joints and old injuries start to play a role. Staying in shape and being active definitely reduce the effects but eventually age happens to all of us.

Ah to be young again.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Put effort in to your training & gradings
- Work Hard + Smart
- KISS Principle
- Don't Rush especially in Kata
- Look after your body
- Don't treat others poorly

Tempest
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Judo, HEMA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Know the material. Don't just pretend to know it or polish it out for the test. Practice over the whole time in grade.

Make sure your Uke knows the material as well. Maybe not as well as you, but teaching them will help with your understanding and if they know the material it can help the test go smoother.

Don't try to pass, try to excel. Do as well as you can. Whether you pass or not is up to the instructor, but whether you give it your all is up to you.

Know the examiner if possible. In my style this is a non-issue as you are not likely to get an exam from someone you don't know, but it is possible. Know what they look for, know what will get you an auto-fail from them.

These are the things that helped me on my exams through Shodan.

ineluki
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Testing Tips From White to Black Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:

* Calm down
- it's only a belt exam, it probably won't determine if you end up as a millionaire, your wife/husband, your kids
- you are a student, you don't have to be perfect
- teachers and examiners were once in your position, they know you are probably nervous

* Don't give up
- you won't be the first and neither the last student to make mistakes in your exams,
- if you catch yourself in a mistake, simply correct and continue

* Don't rush
- between belts - ten years from now it won't matter if it took you seven years or eight years to reach your black belt
- within the exam - it's not a race who finishes first, don't sacrifice all technique for speed

* don't slack off - "we" examiners still want you to show your knowledge and effort

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:
- Put effort in to your training & gradings
- Work Hard + Smart
- KISS Principle
- Don't Rush especially in Kata
- Look after your body
- Don't treat others poorly

Well said and very true.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not mentioned so far, that needs a little attention is to spend some time learning terminology in your chosen style.

At the least, learn the terminology that relates to the material and techniques covered by your CI; both in English and the native language equivalent.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like what's been posted. To add...

If you make a mistake (which you definitely will), don't dwell on it; move on.
Don't take it personally if you're corrected on something.
Be prepared to be pushed to your limits.
Trust your training.
Expect the unexpected.

Every teacher I know has said the first thing they look for is spirit/attitude. Give it your all, and everything else should take care of itself. If you've been invited to test, your instructor thinks you're worthy of the next rank.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Share Your Testing, Grading, or Promotion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: