Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: That Which We Possess!! Reply with quote

Within each of us, as practitioners and as individuals, we've the necessary abilities to not only harm, but to also heal with whomever we have contact with for whatever the reason might be.

As a MAist, depending on ones knowledge and experience, we can harm another human being with such resolve, and with the harsh breath of time quite expediently.

With Bruce Lee's saying..."I do not hit, 'it' hits all by itself", is both pointed as well as it is responsible. That which I possess, MA wise, can be fatal to another human being either with cause or without cause; either way, judgement should be immediate across the board.

With what I possess, individually speaking, there's not much differences between me, the MAist, and me, the individual; that fine line of certainty as well as uncertainty shouldn't muddle my mutual goals as a MAist and as an individual.

I don't hit to just hit, but I hit to destroy said target, not with a proportional response but in complete totality!! It's either him/her or me, and I will, with all that I possess, do all that I can to protect myself.

It's that that is within me is dangerous, and is designed to harm another human being, and not to dance around in a gala celebration. The level of harm is my responsibility, and mine alone.

Nevertheless, that which I possess must be both wise and resolute!!

Your thoughts, please!!

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: That Which We Possess!! Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Within each of us, as practitioners and as individuals, we've the necessary abilities to not only harm, but to also heal with whomever we have contact with for whatever the reason might be.

As a MAist, depending on ones knowledge and experience, we can harm another human being with such resolve, and with the harsh breath of time quite expediently.

With Bruce Lee's saying..."I do not hit, 'it' hits all by itself", is both pointed as well as it is responsible. That which I possess, MA wise, can be fatal to another human being either with cause or without cause; either way, judgement should be immediate across the board.

With what I possess, individually speaking, there's not much differences between me, the MAist, and me, the individual; that fine line of certainty as well as uncertainty shouldn't muddle my mutual goals as a MAist and as an individual.

I don't hit to just hit, but I hit to destroy said target, not with a proportional response but in complete totality!! It's either him/her or me, and I will, with all that I possess, do all that I can to protect myself.

It's that that is within me is dangerous, and is designed to harm another human being, and not to dance around in a gala celebration. The level of harm is my responsibility, and mine alone.

Your thoughts, please!!

Along with great power comes great responsibility. (Have no idea who said that ).

The bottom line is it is a responsibility to know when to use our skills and to what extent. To be able to identify a real threat or just someone talking big with no real intention.

Empathy, humility and common sense play a huge factor. Those that would use skills easily are beginners that have no real understanding of the skills they possess or what damage they can do.

I think this falls down to two parts of responsibility. One the instructor not only teaching but informing. And two the individuals knowing what they can do and when it is appropriate to use their skills.

As MA'ist this becomes our way of life and beyond learning and perfecting the skills comes the individual responsibility to know when to use them and to what extent.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skills, technique and force are of no particular significance when considered by themselves. It is only when they are bound by the practitioner’s morals, character and intent that they take a purpose.

Judgement, decision and many other mental factors determine how physical movements will be used. There is always a choice to make and each choice one makes has consequences. Martial arts skills without a sound, stable mind and strong moral character is an irresponsible risk.

It is wisdom, good judgment and moral character that make it right to use force. These same factors must also dictate if force is necessary and how much or what choice are morally defendable. A skilled martial arts practitioner well-aware of his/her ability can make such a reflexion. Such a person, cannot and must not have only one extreme response to every situation. People aren’t automatons. Even instinct and trained reflexes can and must be tempered by the mind.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: That Which We Possess!! Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Your thoughts, please!!

Along with great power comes great responsibility. (Have no idea who said that ).

The bottom line is it is a responsibility to know when to use our skills and to what extent. To be able to identify a real threat or just someone talking big with no real intention.

Empathy, humility and common sense play a huge factor. Those that would use skills easily are beginners that have no real understanding of the skills they possess or what damage they can do.

I think this falls down to two parts of responsibility. One the instructor not only teaching but informing. And two the individuals knowing what they can do and when it is appropriate to use their skills.

As MA'ist this becomes our way of life and beyond learning and perfecting the skills comes the individual responsibility to know when to use them and to what extent.

To the bold above, you took the words right out of my mouth. Teaching the techniques we do teach is the easy part, really. Teaching our students when and how to recognize danger, and then how to deal with it appropriately, is the tougher part. That being the case, its so important that we spend the necessary time teaching it.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: That Which We Possess!! Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
MatsuShinshii wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Your thoughts, please!!

To the bold above, you took the words right out of my mouth. Teaching the techniques we do teach is the easy part, really. Teaching our students when and how to recognize danger, and then how to deal with it appropriately, is the tougher part. That being the case, its so important that we spend the necessary time teaching it.

I Agree.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: