Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:38 pm    Post subject: The #1 Attack Against Women Reply with quote

According to UK crime statistics, the most commonly reported attack on women was a right handed grab to the upper right arm, which was then used to control the woman and drag her to another location. This is some serious stuff, but I noticed that not a lot of self defense techniques that are openly shared seem to address it. I made a quick video showing the technique that I teach for this scenario:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsCAYcgeeVM
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Hawkmoon
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the video great point and well made!

Head on attacks and that video makes sense, but dark alley, bushy tree lined walkways allow an attacker to come up behind the victim!

Can you do, have a video to show a arm grab form rear?

An attack form the rear has always had 'teachers' I've worked with offer that the target do:

shin scrapes
    foot stomps
    reverse head strikes
    elbow
    low fist swing backwards looking for you know what!

...and that's pretty much it!

They all work and all are pretty much 'bread and butter' stuff, and even the default 'tool set' in the self defense box, but the use of Gedan Bari here was an excellent addition to the that tool box!

I took on Ju-Jitsu classes to build on the self defense stuff I had been shown. All fun as it was for me, that is a large commitment for anyone.
Its possibly to much for people who only wants to protect and run, rather than defend and fight!

Last edited by Hawkmoon on Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:01 am; edited 1 time in total

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: The #1 Attack Against Women Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
According to UK crime statistics, the most commonly reported attack on women was a right handed grab to the upper right arm, which was then used to control the woman and drag her to another location. This is some serious stuff, but I noticed that not a lot of self defense techniques that are openly shared seem to address it. I made a quick video showing the technique that I teach for this scenario:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsCAYcgeeVM

To the bold type above...

Imho, this is basic MA 101; baby level stuff. And it should be addressed because it is some serious stuff. An assault is an unwanted evasion, therefore, the aggressor needs to be made aware that his/her advances aren't welcomed.

Nice video. I think it needs to be made more simplified from a laypersons point of view. While what you're demonstrating is basic, there's a minor complexity to it that a layperson might have trouble grasping.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hawkmoon wrote:

Head on attacks and that video makes sense, but dark alley, bushy tree lined walkways allow an attacker to come up behind the victim!

Can you do have have a video to show a arm grab form rear?

An attack form the rear has always had 'teachers' I've worked with offer that the target do:

shin scrapes
    foot stomps
    reverse head strikes
    elbow

They all work and all are pretty much 'bread and butter' stuff, and even the default 'tool set' in the self defense box, but the use of Gedan Bari here was an excellent addition to the that tool box!

I took on Ju-Jitsu classes to build on the self defense stuff I had been shown. All fun as it was for me, that is a large commitment for anyone.
Its possibly to much for people who only wants to protect and run, rather than defend and fight!

Solid post!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its important to look into these kinds of statistics, and then work on ways to deal with them, and work on consistent tactics that help with this and other attacks in similar ways. Thanks for sharing the video with us!

muttley
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Hawkmoon wrote:

Can you do have have a video to show a arm grab form rear?

shin scrapes
    foot stomps
    reverse head strikes
    elbow

Solid post!!

Attacks from the rear (and from the rear doesn't just mean from dirrectly behind, it is anywhere outside of the subjects periferal vision - try it, walk from the point where they can see you to the left, in an arch to the point where they can see you from the right...it's a huge space!) The way I teach it is that the most important thing to do is react, remember fight, flight or freeze...

If it's a one handed grab, spin, face, it's now no longer an attack from the rear, you can see what you are faced with and evaluate before doing something else such as a shin kick or strike to the face etc.

If it's a two handed kind of strangle hold, get the arms up, bodyweight down (to the beginner teach a drop into kiba-dachi - apologies to anyone from another art but that is what Karate uses to teach shifting bodyweight down), now look for what to do next, again, turn, not only do you face the attacker more, you also help to open up airways a bit. After that, what ever you do needs to be natural.

Davis
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The majority of assaults against women are from their drunk/angry marital partners or date rape. Awareness is key. Rarely do we see a woman grabbed like this scenario depicts. Its more often being drugged over assaulted when she is drunk.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as physical defense is concerned, techniques should focus on escapes. This is true in general, but especially for women and girls precisely because the single most common attack is some kind of grabbing. The attacker's primary goal is to control the victim or force her to go somewhere.

Escape techniques combined with good violence awareness and avoiding skills are more than sufficient to keep women safe and informed. Anything more is bonus material and is a question of whether or not a woman is inclined to learn a whole system. In my experience, the best SD courses had 80-90% information/awareness training and less than 5 physical techniques.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
As far as physical defense is concerned, techniques should focus on escapes. This is true in general, but especially for women and girls precisely because the single most common attack is some kind of grabbing. The attacker's primary goal is to control the victim or force her to go somewhere.

Escape techniques combined with good violence awareness and avoiding skills are more than sufficient to keep women safe and informed. Anything more is bonus material and is a question of whether or not a woman is inclined to learn a whole system. In my experience, the best SD courses had 80-90% information/awareness training and less than 5 physical techniques.
This is good advise. Especially for women, the escape part is the most important, I think, because it doesn't behoove a woman to stand toe-to-toe any longer than necessary with a larger and stronger opponent.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going toe-to-toe is best kept for a sporting match. I would never advise anyone man or woman, beginner or expert to do that when it comes to a defense situation. Following this idea invariably ends badly for the defender because it prolongs contact.

The definition of defense is to protect and preserve from harm. Once one has successfully accomplished that, there is nothing more to do than disappear as quickly as possible. An effective defense must be:

1. No more than three very simple moves, the less the better.
2. Simultaneously neutralize the attack and allow the defender to break away and escape.

Having the situation degenerate into a fight or something that will be construed as such is the least desirable outcome because fighting is a criminal offense and very expensive to argue about before the police and magistrates.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: