Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Tkd&bjj
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Taekwondo, bjj, kempo, jkd concepts, escrima

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: The art of fighting without fighting. Reply with quote

What's the name of your style? I am not sure what to call my art anymore. I incorporate a lot of western boxing, I am a blue belt in bjj, second Dan in Taekwondo, have studied and teach kenpo karate, and lately i have been training FMA. I consider myself a jkd stylist is this wrong? I have always been guided by lee's theories, and mostly have studied by book. I do have my second jkd seminar coming up at the end of this month.

I would never say I teach jkd, but I have my own personal jkd.

“If you are tired you’re not strong, if you are tired you’re not fast, if you’re tired you don’t have good technique, and if you’re tired you’re not even smart".
-Dan Inosanto

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say you have your own style, to be sure. I don't know that I would say its your own JKD style, though. I think spending a bit more time in a JKD setting would be necessary.

lowereastside
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: kung fu

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: The art of fighting without fighting. Reply with quote

bushido_man96 - Says - " I think spending a bit more time in a JKD setting would be necessary"

I agree with busshido_man96 - if your going to call it JKD - a bit more time should be spent in a JKD Setting. Look I come from a very Traditional Background - but more power to you Tkd&bjj do what it takes make it your own.

Tkd&bjj
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I more use the concepts

1) 5 ways of attack
2) aborb what is useful
3) learning all ranges
4) not being bound to any style or culture
5) economy of motion extc.

i do want to get some more serious JKD time under my belt with qualifies instructors.

“If you are tired you’re not strong, if you are tired you’re not fast, if you’re tired you don’t have good technique, and if you’re tired you’re not even smart".
-Dan Inosanto

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: The art of fighting without fighting. Reply with quote

Tkd&bjj wrote:
What's the name of your style? I am not sure what to call my art anymore. I incorporate a lot of western boxing, I am a blue belt in bjj, second Dan in Taekwondo, have studied and teach kenpo karate, and lately i have been training FMA. I consider myself a jkd stylist is this wrong? I have always been guided by lee's theories, and mostly have studied by book. I do have my second jkd seminar coming up at the end of this month.

I would never say I teach jkd, but I have my own personal jkd.

Why do you need to call it one style. What's wrong with saying what you just said?

The problem with calling it JKD is that you haven't actually trained JKD. Also, Tao of Jeet Kune Do was not written by Lee. It was compiled by his wife after his death. According to Dan Inosanto, almost 70% of what is written in the book was not Lee's work or theories. They were notes put in the corners and margins of many other books. So that's not a really good method of determining you do JKD.

It would be like if I decided, because I'm good at kicks, I do TKD. I don't. So I can't say that.

If you feel overly compelled to give what you do a name, just call it something generic. Like Martial Arts or Self Defense. But why not just call it TKD and BJJ, then point out that you've taken some things you like from other systems?

xo-karate
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you want your personal style to be JKD?
Why is a label so important?

We have a similar "problem" at our training group "old man karate".
We are doing kind of self defense karate where focus is to always take control of the attacker - but every one uses their own techniques.

I combine karate and bjj - some times aikido or jiujitsu.

I think best word at the moment has been "mixfits" but it's not catching.
Name will come when we need it:-)

kensei
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off Lee abandoned the use of any title for what he did after he created JKD. He said titles are useless and harmfull. so really if you want to adhear to what Sifu Lee said you would say you train in the way of no way and that you practice a style of your fighting that has no name and is ever changing.

Why use a label, maybe a broader term like Karate or Kung fu, but I would avoid using a term that labels you, especially if it is not accurate.

Like I learn karate but call it Sambo...not at all correct and more than a little misleading.

Tkd&bjj
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not desire to call it JKD really...

It as others have said doesn't matter what it's called. I guess you could just call it my way of martial arts.

I just have been heavily influenced by his theories.

I' don't care what it's called I just include combative elements from many styles.

-Dan Inosanto

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are more than a few Martial Artists out there who have picked up and read Tao of Jeet Kune Do, and then decided they liked the ideas and concepts within, and then tried applying them to what they do. That won't make one more of a JKD stylist than my reading some Gracie books has made me a BJJ stylist, even though I like their concepts. I don't think the intention of that book is to learn and become a JKD stylist. If you like some concepts there, then that's great. Apply some of them to your training, no matter what style you train in. That's one of the things thats nice about concepts like that; they can cross many different disciplines.

Tkd&bjj
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
I think there are more than a few Martial Artists out there who have picked up and read Tao of Jeet Kune Do, and then decided they liked the ideas and concepts within, and then tried applying them to what they do. That won't make one more of a JKD stylist than my reading some Gracie books has made me a BJJ stylist, even though I like their concepts. I don't think the intention of that book is to learn and become a JKD stylist. If you like some concepts there, then that's great. Apply some of them to your training, no matter what style you train in. That's one of the things thats nice about concepts like that; they can cross many different disciplines.

I don't just base my jkd theory on the Tao of jeet kune do. There was a series he made with M. Uyehara called Bruce lee's fighting method. It was released post Mortem. I do research those original methods but combat has evolved from that time. I more follow Dan Inosantos methodology. The style that resembles what bruce was doing in the late sixties and early 70's is often called jun fan jkd, or original jkd. The jkd concepts people have moved into arts like bjj, mma, Muay Thai, savate, and Kali.

I love Ron Balicki, Dan Inosanto, and Vunak videos.

Someday I will become a jkd instructor. I have a 3 day seminar coming up at the end of the month. It's going to be with John riddle, and sifu Singh. Right now I'm just working on improving my game in all areas.

-Dan Inosanto
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: