Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2001 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, environments have a keen way of effecting the things we do. Well, I believe that we should think up a new topic, if no one disagrees. Unfortunately, I cannot think of any. Perhaps anyone could post an idea which we could debate to?

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

Jennifer
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2001 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lori - As always, your input is much appreciated.

Karateka - I apologize for having misunderstood your statements. If I could make a teensy suggestion? When you're using 3rd person, could you leave the word "you" out of the paragraph? It would be less confusing for the reader.

As for your topic, it's another doozy.
I fully agree that there are many aspects to violence. I'll try to express my thoughts in broad terms.
I think those who perform acts of violence, do it for the adrenaline rush. Like if two people have a fist fight and then go for a beer and make up. It's a rush. In the more heinous forms of violence, I think it's the thrill of having power over someone or something else that's attractive to the perpetrator. For those who like to study the acts/perpetrators, I think it's the thrill of the unknown that's so compelling. It's like seeing a horror movie. One is fascinated and at the same time repulsed.

Just my thoughts.
- Jennifer

cyderr
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting topic guys.

On the topic of conflict I would like to add these thoughts. In the absence of conflict do we as a society become too complacent? And through complacency, do we doom ourselves to repeat our ancestors mistakes?

My belief is that in times of conflict we struggle to obtain our "needs" and in times of "peace" we become obsessed with our "wants". I agree with Karateka's statement that "conflict and violence are brought about by our wants". I also beleive that wants are inherent to the human condition. Perhaps this is why the quest for a true utopia is futile - no one is equal and not everyone "wants" to be.

But, I digress.

My point is this. I believe that the key ingredient to mankind's existance is conflict. Through conflict we evolve. We better ourselves in our struggle to obtain some sort of equilibrium - which might be peace. When we do reach that equilibrium, we begin to become complacent and forget the lessons that our ancestors have taught us through their mistakes. As a result we are doomed to repeat those same mistakes - thus the cycle completes its self.

In closing I would like to pose these questions . If the above is true, then is War a necessity in the evolution of mankind? Or is War simply a fallacy in the human condition that can be eliminated through enlightenment and resulting in stable state of equilibrium?

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

War is something else. I see war as a way of one man wanting other people to do his dirty work for him. The soldiers will never say that "oh I want that next war to come up so I can get killed". No, it is politicians and generals and civilians who cry war, because they are not a part of it. They have no idea of the autractities of war. Then there are those who do know and still cry out for war.

A very lengthy process indeed.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is all rather confusing isn't it people!

Angus

MuayTB1
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of War, I love to study about war and the warriors. My favorite is The Three Kingdoms of China. The more you learn about it, the cooler it is. It has so many stories and so much brain power involed. If you by any chance speak chinese, rent the move call " Three kingdoms" it is only 30 video tapes and cost about 200 dallors to buy. Well, my role modle in live is Zhao Yun, the great general of shu.

Really even cooler then the romans

ChangWuJi
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-06-24 21:55, Karateka wrote:
Look at the Holocaust in WWII. That has led many Human Rights efforts and changes in the law. That one incident has led us to change the entire face of the future. It is amazing that if this never happened,

Many things like this happened and still happen today. Whether it is to racial/religious/or whatever conflict.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: