Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Archimoto
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: JKD / Muay Thai / TKD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ so true!

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, then, that a distinction should be made between what we might call (in a MA context) good and bad potential. Certainly I have come across many MAist that have had potential. They're fast learners, seem to get into the techniques quickly and generally have the physical side of MA down and yet they have a terrible attitude and they are not someone you would ever want to spend a lot of time with. They have little (if any) time for philosophy and character building and you they make your class miserable.

Then you have those who come in ready to learn and to embrace every aspect of MA. The philosophical and physical side. They come to every class ready to learn and to help others learn. They may not get everything naturally like others but they have the desire to try and try again until they know every part of the technique backwards and forwards.

Both examples have potential, but one lacks the qualities of a MAist. I also think this distinction separates the fighter and the MAist. We find both in schools all the time, but the MAist are generally the ones with staying power. So for me, character is preeminent in determining the right kind of potential. The kind of potential that I want to teach and want to watch grow.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:
I think, then, that a distinction should be made between what we might call (in a MA context) good and bad potential. Certainly I have come across many MAist that have had potential. They're fast learners, seem to get into the techniques quickly and generally have the physical side of MA down and yet they have a terrible attitude and they are not someone you would ever want to spend a lot of time with. They have little (if any) time for philosophy and character building and you they make your class miserable.

Then you have those who come in ready to learn and to embrace every aspect of MA. The philosophical and physical side. They come to every class ready to learn and to help others learn. They may not get everything naturally like others but they have the desire to try and try again until they know every part of the technique backwards and forwards.

Both examples have potential, but one lacks the qualities of a MAist. I also think this distinction separates the fighter and the MAist. We find both in schools all the time, but the MAist are generally the ones with staying power. So for me, character is preeminent in determining the right kind of potential. The kind of potential that I want to teach and want to watch grow.

Solid post!!

CredoTe
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi-Ryu (Shorin-Ryu), Hung Gar (Hung Siu Lum)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Zaine wrote:

Solid post!!

Agreed!

In Life and Death, there is no tap-out...

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:

I disagree here to an extent. I'm not big on the philosophical side of the Martial Arts. I'm not really big on trying to influence others to what I believe, which is what I really think the philosophical side of the Martial Arts is. I do think good character is important, though, and most people, especially adults, have developed their own ideologies by the time they would come to me to learn a Martial Art. I also feel that if I am going to spend my time and money learning Martial Arts, I want to learn technique, and how to use it and when to use it. I don't really want someone to preach his value system to me. I already have one, and it has served me well for many years. Maybe putting a little bit here and there foreward for something to think about; I don't mind that. I think that students like this can still be good students, and become great Martial Artists. Its just a matter of what each wants to focus on.

Then, on the flip side, you get those students who sign up for a Karate class or a TKD class, and then they want to become Japanese or Korean. They may try to focus so much on the culture and its philosophies that they ignore developing skills that might help them defend themselves.

So, its possible to get students on both sides of the coin.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martial arts for me is also character building. Because of ma I have things in common with many people from Asia. Thailand-India-Japan-Korea-China. Building a connection over time, developing empathy and understanding with other cultures has changed my character for the better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: