Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Shui Tora
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Shotokan (Shodan-ho, 3rd Kyu Adult Syll.), Yamabushi Kenjutsu Ryu, Kyudo, Kyusho

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Sorry I shall tranlsate for you...

Shui's re-translated post wrote:

I think that a low roundhouse kick (or a leg sweep) to the lower part of the leg (so that it hits the side of the leg) would be effective, as there are about 8 different pressure points there, and with a good powerful kick would be good...

Is that better?

" The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants. " ~ Master Funakoshi

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject: The best kick for self defense Reply with quote

Shui Tora wrote:
^ Sorry I shall tranlsate for you...

Shui's re-translated post wrote:

I think that a low roundhouse kick (or a leg sweep) to the lower part of the leg (so that it hits the side of the leg) would be effective, as there are about 8 different pressure points there, and with a good powerful kick would be good...

Is that better?

Yes, thanks. So, the difference between your opinion and mine is target area, essentially, right?

Shui Tora
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Shotokan (Shodan-ho, 3rd Kyu Adult Syll.), Yamabushi Kenjutsu Ryu, Kyudo, Kyusho

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... In my opinion, the lower leg is unprotected and plus with a good strong kick you can hit a pressure point (not caring about which one () and then continue form there)

" The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants. " ~ Master Funakoshi

cathal
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan (Ryukyu Kobujutsu, Iaido)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, for me the front thrust works well. Gidan or Chudan level is going to be the best, either way it's low and it takes them off balance. If they are grabbing a hold of you you can shift your weight and do a take-down or push them away.

If they haven't grabbed you at this point, the thrust pushes them back giving you valuable space. If you hurt them enough you can run, or dial 911 on your cell, etc.
hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.
- Sun-tzu

UseoForce
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Combat Hapkido, MMA/BJJ, Various others

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a self defense situation, I agree a front thrust kick with the rear leg is the best. It is damaging and can be used to shove even a large assailant away.

Against a more skilled fighter, I would favor a low Muay Thai-style roundhouse kick.

Sohan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Karate-Do, Muay Thai, Shudokan Karate-Do, Boxing, BJJ, Hung Gar Gung Fu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also like the low roundhouse, but I go for the knee. I used it successfully against a mugger in downtown Atlanta many years ago. The problem with doing such a kick against a trained opponent, however, is that it can be an easy kick to trap, then followed by a sweep. This is one of my favorite defensive techniques, even when the kick is very strong. I step in slightly to smother the kick, trap the leg with my arm, and sweep the supporting leg from the outside or just front kick to the groin or the knee of the supporting leg.

You can also press and roll the inner thigh of the trapped leg and the opponent goes right down, but it's not as easy as it sounds. I also like the "statue of liberty" move where you catch and upwardly direct the leg, and as your opponent falls you can easily mount them for a little G & P.

With respect,

Sohan

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

UseoForce
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sohan wrote:
I also like the low roundhouse, but I go for the knee. I used it successfully against a mugger in downtown Atlanta many years ago. The problem with doing such a kick against a trained opponent, however, is that it can be an easy kick to trap, then followed by a sweep. This is one of my favorite defensive techniques, even when the kick is very strong. I step in slightly to smother the kick, trap the leg with my arm, and sweep the supporting leg from the outside or just front kick to the groin or the knee of the supporting leg.

You can also press and roll the inner thigh of the trapped leg and the opponent goes right down, but it's not as easy as it sounds. I also like the "statue of liberty" move where you catch and upwardly direct the leg, and as your opponent falls you can easily mount them for a little G & P.

With respect,

Sohan
Actually, the low round kick is one of the hardest kicks to catch/trap. That's one of the reasons you see it some much in the UFC, almost to the exclusion of all other kinds of kicks. I'd say 9/10 kicks I see in MMA are low round kicks.

Sohan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin Ryu Karate-Do, Muay Thai, Shudokan Karate-Do, Boxing, BJJ, Hung Gar Gung Fu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UseoForce wrote:
Sohan wrote:

With respect,

Sohan
Actually, the low round kick is one of the hardest kicks to catch/trap. That's one of the reasons you see it some much in the UFC, almost to the exclusion of all other kinds of kicks. I'd say 9/10 kicks I see in MMA are low round kicks.

It can be difficult if the kicker is fairly quick and you don't move in on it. When you move in, catch the leg closer to the knee and it has less impact force. Then just pull it up and quickly press and roll the thigh. If the kick is very low, say the bottom half of my shin, I simply lift my foot without shifting my weight and counter. The higher the kick comes, the more likely I'll move in and trap.

But you have to train for such a move just like anything else---I often wonder having watched UFC and Pride whether many fighters really train well to defend the low RH kick, or anything else.

With respect,

Sohan

"A man who has attained mastery of an art reveals it in his every action." Samuarai maxim

"Knowing others is wisdom; knowing yourself is Enlightenment." Lao-Tzu

UseoForce
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying that it can't be done, just saying it is much harder to do than a front or side kick.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: The best kick for self defense Reply with quote

I don't see many people get down low enough to try and block a low round kick. Not that noone could, but I have never seen it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11
Jump to: