Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: The best kick for self defense Reply with quote

The topic of using kicks in self-defense is a hotly ongoing debate in the Martial Arts community. Should you, or shouldn't you kick? Should you kick high? What target?

In light of this debate, I thought I would offer what I feel is the best kick to be used in self defense, and why.

I think the best kick to use in self defense is the low round kick, preferably with the shin. By low, I mean below the waist, on the common peronial (the nerve on the outside of the upper leg). Here are my reasons why:

1. It is quick, and I feel easier to target than a front or side kick to the low section of the body. You can throw it, and then turn your body after you hit, loading your body weight into it. It does not require very much chamber action, and won't telegraph as much as the other kicks, IMO.

2. The shin is a very sharp and damaging striking tool. This kick will most likely drop anyone who is not a Thai boxer.

3. By not striking the knee, but hitting the nerve, you can temporarily debilitate your opponent, and not bring excessive repercussions on yourself from lawsuits that would ensue from breaking the opponents knee.

These are just my two cents worth. I don't claim to be right, but I feel very strongly about the effectiveness of this kick. An instructor of mine was demonstrating it one time, and I was holding a kicking shield over my leg when he did it. I could still feel the thrum through the shield, and I still buckled.

A note about the common peronial strike. If you strike hard enough, you will elicit what is called a sympathetic nerve response, in which the other leg will buckle as the leg that strikes does.

What do you guys think? I am looking forward to your ideas, points, and comments.

pittbullJudoka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ryu Kyu Kempo,Wrestling,Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you partially. There is also a place in the inside of the lower leg 3 finger widths up from the ankle joint.The point is know as splen 6 is can be struck or rubbed.When rubbed it causes a numbing sensation followed by extreme pain.When it's struck it causes the ankle to roll and there's no real way to brace for it.If struck hard enough and at the right angle the roll will be so violent the ankle will break.But most likely the ankle will roll causing your attacker to fall and have a sprained ankle.
I prefer to kick low you generate more power in a low kick,most times you attacker won't see it coming,and it doesn't disrupt your balance as much.
These are my thoughts but I agree with you as well.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: The best kick for self defense Reply with quote

That is a good one, too. I had never heard of that spot. However, you would have to be awfully close to hit that target, wouldn't you? Like maybe in a clinch or something?

pittbullJudoka
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ryu Kyu Kempo,Wrestling,Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Low front kick works.Easiest to right when kicking cross body ex:left to right.One can use the point of the toe also just like taking a fast step toward them.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pittbullJudoka wrote:
Low front kick works.Easiest to right when kicking cross body ex:left to right.One can use the point of the toe also just like taking a fast step toward them.

Cool.

LiTtLeDrAgOn
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: My style?.....I guess u could call it the Art of Fighting Without Fighting. (Foundation: Tae Kwon Do)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, me personally I would kick if It were self defense...Just because I love to kick and Im good at it. My hands are decent but, Im comfortable kicking. So, if you are good at kicking than kick....if not than dont kick. But, its self defense for christ sake so do what you gotta do to protect yourself (The low shin kick is good too!!!)

ShotokanKid
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Shotokan Karate, Judo, FMA/Inosanto Kali

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's self defense, groin kick, or to the knee.

"We must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men."

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: The best kick for self defense Reply with quote

ShotokanKid wrote:
If it's self defense, groin kick, or to the knee.

The problem that I have with kicking the knee is that, although it is a good target, is the possibility of a lawsuit being thrown your way.

Shui Tora
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Shotokan (Shodan-ho, 3rd Kyu Adult Syll.), Yamabushi Kenjutsu Ryu, Kyudo, Kyusho

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that a low maswashi-geri (or Ashi-beri) to the lower part of the leg (so that it hits the side of the leg) would be effective, as there are about 8 different pressure points there, and with a good, powerful kick would be good...

Anyone agree?

" The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants. " ~ Master Funakoshi

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: The best kick for self defense Reply with quote

Shui Tora wrote:
I think that a low maswashi-geri (or Ashi-beri) to the lower part of the leg (so that it hits the side of the leg) would be effective, as there are about 8 different pressure points there, and with a good, powerful kick would be good...

Anyone agree?

You are going to need to translate that for me, as my Japanese is a little, well, non-existent.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11
Jump to: