Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Gorgoth
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jet Li - Fist of Legend...

AWESOME fight scenes... you know its gonna be a kewl movie when in the first 5 minutes Jet Li kicks the crap out of 10 japanese martial artists... LOL..

hehe...

-Gor

Hapkidodude
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enter the Dragon was and still is my favorite. I also enjoy watching Steven Seagal in his earlier films. The fight scenes were pretty straight forward techniques without a lot of b.s.

The Hand is quicker than the eye!

Bretty101
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's gotta be Kickboxer! Okay just kidding,

I was gonna say my favourite MA film of all time is Armour of god 1. But thats more for the stunts then the Martial arts. I just love Jackie Chan!!!

My favourite onscreen fighter (uh-oh controversy alert) is Brandon Lee in Rapid fire, just showing how effective JKD is in real fights, low kicks and bad * punching!!

Favourit fight seen, Jackie chan versus that guy with the amazing legs at the end of Who am I (tho i was dissappointed when i saw the making of it). I just love kickers!!

Sorry wouldn't like to say which i thought was the best film of all time as I haven't seen any Jet Lee films or many of the other 'classics'

Bretty

[ This Message was edited by: Bretty101 on 2002-02-24 13:28 ]

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kicker at the end of Who Am I is Ron Smoorenburg from the Netherlands. He is obviously very good at what he does but supposedly he just couldn't adapt to Jackie's movie fighting rhythm (*gasp* movie fighting is different from real fighting? ). If you like kickers, then you probably already have seen the end fight in Drunken Master 2, but also if u haven't already you should check out Leg Fighters with Tan Tao Liang (Delon Tan) and some of his stuff (also maybe his student John Liu's stuff too, although in my opinion he wasn't as excellent as his teacher). They are all part of the good ol late 70's kung fu theater original bad-a$$ group lol.

Yea so I guess there are two kinds of m/a movie fans (just like there are mainly two kinds of practitioners), those who like practical no-nonsense combat scenes and those who like that wire-laden fancy stuff. For me it depends usually I like something in between, not too many wires and not too much all out brawl stuff with people rolling on the ground. Once in a while I like to watch beautiful flowery movements and once in a while I like to watch bloody boxing matches hehe. Although I might get blasted for this but I really do not understand how Crouching Tiger was so acclaimed or great. Great story? Deep characters and exceptional acting? I dunno, I didn't walk away heavily inspired into deep thought and I don't think I was ever moved to tears. How can a movie be considered a great martial arts movie when the martial arts is not even performed by people who have had a lot of experience with either movie fighting or real fighting (albeit they are talented and hard-working) and the story is still just to me a background for the action. And the flashback in the middle? wtf Anyways just my humble opinion

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2002 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it is very melodramatic and cheesy, The Best of the best series has its great moments!

ad
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought crouching tiger was a brill film,
why because firstly the story line was very captivating, the story was actually better than or equal to the martial arts displayed in the film
the martial arts in the film was good, and did follow many chinese arts, and i must at that both the main female characters in the film are actually trained in martial arts, where as chow yung fat is hopeless
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

spinninggumby
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2002 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michelle Yeoh (the older female in Crouching Tiger), has had training in martial arts and has also had experience in movie fighting but her core expertise has always been ballet and dance. Ditto Zhang Ziyi (the younger one). She did not receive any martial arts training until she found out that she was picked for the part. Don't get me wrong, she has a lot of potential in so many areas and she is an incredible dancer. But you get my point. Thankfully, she came across quite convincingly for someone who has not trained for very long. That is why so many people say that dance and martial arts are so similar. Flexibility, coordination, flow, and awareness of one's body play a key role in the success of both.

William Parcher, 'A BEAUTIFUL MIND'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: blue-belt taekwondo/green belt Yoshukai

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martial art movie of a time would be(drum roll)...Rumble in the Bronx. It had great martial art choreography, great plot, but at the same time the movie did not take itself seriously. It made me laugh, made me cry, and afterward I had to use the rest room. I like your quotes, SG. They make think of different things, but I don't know what....

I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversations.

Cory Reynolds
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with 360, the Best of the Best movies (1st and 2nd ones at least) were very inspirational to me if only in the area of motivation.

Has anyone seen "I Am Bruce?" Terrible movie but so funny!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Phantasmatic
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu, Shorei-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Kobudo, Judo, Shin-Kage Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2002 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have yet to see Drunken Master 2. I do know though that the first Drunken Master was a great flick.

A sweet comedic martial art movie (probably not even considered a MA movie) is They Call Me Bruce with the dude who loves Bruce Lee and tries to act like him in every way!! It rules!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Gaming, Movies, TV, and Entertainment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: