Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very common in the Filipinno martial arts that weapons are taught first with empty-hand training taught last. The thought here is that a person without a weapon is as good as dead on the battlefield anyway. I believe this has great merit in a combat oriented martial art. For self-defense, I feel it's best to teach weapons, empty-hands and grappling at the same time.

I feel that a person is insane if they are going to try and fight an armed person unless they really have to.

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2001 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

::edit::

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Last edited by Bon on Sat Sep 28, 2002 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2001 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being an escrimador, I do like the sticks, but I still think knives are much more effective. It really depends on skill level. I love my balisong.

Prodigy-Child
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2001 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not all weapons can be defended against.......even with a knife there is a highly like chance you will get stuck by it and with a gun? well good luck!
i know some gun defenses and stuff but we have been told that in the unlikely event that we get held up by a gun we should only use our defenses if we know without a doubt that the person is going to kill us.......another thing is that gun defenses would only give a person like me a 50/50 chance of survival because you gotta be quite fast to get outta a situation like that

kicker
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: kickboxing, muay thai, tennis, lots more.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2001 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well your fist is a good weapon but there are also many other weapons that can easly beat the fist like your fist can only take so much till it gives out and other weapongs have the same sort of thing they only have so much streght that can resist and make.

and again it also depends on the situation and sort of the surrundings cause there could be weapons on the ground also.

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2001 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I just REALLY noticed what Ken said about learning weapons forms first. Because on a battle field you are as good as dead without a weapon.

That is interesting. Most of us learned the other way round. The empty hand forms first with the theory being be needed to learn stances and blocks first or they would all go to pot with a weapon in our hands. (One of sensie's most common statements during kobudo.)

I see the point and it is making me think. I enjoy very much coming in here and meeting different points of view.

Kempo_Dude
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fist? Well not really, Fist is not a tough or a good idea to face a real Weapon. Fist Weapon is a bad idea. If your facing a real weapon. I odnt really agree with that...

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of people say that the brain is a good weapon, but have you ever been hit by one? I can't see them doing much damage.

Seriously though in a fight there isn't much thought involved, simply ingrained reflex. You don't have time to bring in the whole thinking stuff.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-05-29 17:59, ckdstudent wrote:
Lots of people say that the brain is a good weapon, but have you ever been hit by one? I can't see them doing much damage.

Seriously though in a fight there isn't much thought involved, simply ingrained reflex. You don't have time to bring in the whole thinking stuff.

Have I been hit with a brain? Well many times in sparring I have been hit by a brain attached to the hands and feet of my opponent. And it takes the participaiton of the braind to ingrain and groove a reflex.

Withers M.A.A.
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point... It is a weapon you always have on you and it can always be loaded and ready to go.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: