Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, IJR Karate, Iaido, Kobudo

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:56 am    Post subject: The British Martial Arts and Boxing Association... Reply with quote

I don't think there are that many UK people on here but thought I would ask just in case...

The BMABA... https://bmaba.org.uk

Has anyone had anything to do with them or heard much about them? They appear to be better than who I am currently with, I'm due to re-new all my registration and club membership before resuming my classes after the new year and thought it might be worth going with these guys instead...

Train together, Learn together, Succeed together...

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an interesting question. I personally don't know anything about organizations like these. In the UK, are you required to be a member of an organization like this if you own and operate a club? I wonder how these new organizations get approved?

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say its a requirement, but its normally the done thing from what I have seen, the organisation sort out all the insurances for the club and individual student licencing. Also helps with club recognition, and there can be events that members of the organisation can take part in.

Some organisation also run certifications like coaching awards, first aid courses, DBS checks. Basically whatever you need to get a club running can all be done through the organisation.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of them either. IF this is about insuring the school, then I stand behind that idea because without proper insurance, the MA school is opening themselves for being closed off one claim.

I didn't have insurance right away for my dojo, but we're talking about the late 1970's, and that specialized insurance wasn't that well known, even though that type of insurance has been around in the USA for 70 plus years.

I quickly purchased a plan once I understood it more, and that that insurance company had proven integrity; I've never looked back.

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
I've never heard of them either. IF this is about insuring the school, then I stand behind that idea because without proper insurance, the MA school is opening themselves for being closed off one claim.

I didn't have insurance right away for my dojo, but we're talking about the late 1970's, and that specialized insurance wasn't that well known, even though that type of insurance has been around in the USA for 70 plus years.

I quickly purchased a plan once I understood it more, and that that insurance company had proven integrity; I've never looked back.

Oh yes, no matter what I do I’ll be insured either way.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
This is an interesting question. I personally don't know anything about organizations like these. In the UK, are you required to be a member of an organization like this if you own and operate a club? I wonder how these new organizations get approved?

It's very common in the UK to be part of a wider org like Ashworth said. Mostly for insurance but these groups also come in handy when it comes to laws and regulation, I guess like a union of sorts. Been especially handy if the group is recognised by the government as a governing body during these times as they can seek clarification and permission from the Department of Culture Media and Sport (DCMS) for clubs to operate during COVID. In TKD we have one group which represents all ITF (all groups), WT and independants.

Last edited by DWx on Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: The British Martial Arts and Boxing Association... Reply with quote

ashworth wrote:
I don't think there are that many UK people on here but thought I would ask just in case...

The BMABA... https://bmaba.org.uk

Has anyone had anything to do with them or heard much about them? They appear to be better than who I am currently with, I'm due to re-new all my registration and club membership before resuming my classes after the new year and thought it might be worth going with these guys instead...

I've heard good things from others though don't have any direct experience. They seem to be one of the more professional groups if you aren't going to join a style specific one.

ashworth
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
It's very common to be part of a wider org like Ashworth said. Mostly for insurance but these groups also come in handy when it comes to laws and regulation, I guess like a union of sorts. Been especially handy if the group is recognised by the government as a governing body during these times as they can seek clarification and permission from the Department of Culture Media and Sport (DCMS) for clubs to operate during COVID. In TKD we have one group which represents all ITF (all groups), WT and independants.

Exactly, explained it much better than me, thanks

My current organisation hasn’t been too helpful during COVID, but this potential new one has been great so far, feel like they are really going out of their way to help clubs recover and get back on their feet.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ashworth wrote:
DWx wrote:
It's very common to be part of a wider org like Ashworth said. Mostly for insurance but these groups also come in handy when it comes to laws and regulation, I guess like a union of sorts. Been especially handy if the group is recognised by the government as a governing body during these times as they can seek clarification and permission from the Department of Culture Media and Sport (DCMS) for clubs to operate during COVID. In TKD we have one group which represents all ITF (all groups), WT and independants.

My current organisation hasn’t been too helpful during COVID, but this potential new one has been great so far, feel like they are really going out of their way to help clubs recover and get back on their feet.
Makes sense all, thanks. I think that kind of clears up a question I've had for years. Many organizations around here must be able to be their own governing body; like the ATA, when I was in it. It's really part of three organizations; the ATA (North America), the Songham TKD Federation (South America ATA basically), and the WTTU (World Traditional TKD Union, for Europe, Asia, etc). Either the ATA is the umbrella it all falls under, or the WTTU is, but I think it's the ATA.

Now, my current school, Sun Yi's Academy of Hays, is a member of the TTA (Traditional TKD Association). I always wondered why there was an association when the only schools in it were the Sun Yi's branch schools. I think this is why. The basically provided themselves with a governing body, I think. I've also learned over the past few years, a few different schools have been brought in under the umbrella of the TTA.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
ashworth wrote:
DWx wrote:

Makes sense all, thanks. I think that kind of clears up a question I've had for years. Many organizations around here must be able to be their own governing body; like the ATA, when I was in it. It's really part of three organizations; the ATA (North America), the Songham TKD Federation (South America ATA basically), and the WTTU (World Traditional TKD Union, for Europe, Asia, etc). Either the ATA is the umbrella it all falls under, or the WTTU is, but I think it's the ATA.

Now, my current school, Sun Yi's Academy of Hays, is a member of the TTA (Traditional TKD Association). I always wondered why there was an association when the only schools in it were the Sun Yi's branch schools. I think this is why. The basically provided themselves with a governing body, I think. I've also learned over the past few years, a few different schools have been brought in under the umbrella of the TTA.

Possibly the difference is that groups like Ashworth linked to and like the British Taekwon-Do Council I posted would have little to no input on technical matters and would not generally get involved in belt promotions etc. Their function really is like a union or trade body and they provide general training on things like safeguarding or equality and maybe facilitate first aid training but no actual martial arts training.

Not sure about the other martial arts but in TKD we do have NGBs similar to the ATA which do coordinate the technical side of things to, but they in turn are members of the BTC and are answerable to them. For instance my school I'd part of the British Taekwon-Do Federation which in turn is a BTC member group. The BTC is pretty bipartisan and represents all WT, ITF and independent TKD to the government.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: