Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Bruisbe
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shuri_Ryu and Judo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: The Bubishi - The Classic Manual of Combat Reply with quote

Hello everyone!!

I am 33 years old and my 5 year old son and I just recently started taking classes at a local dojo. The people there are wonderful and very patient with every student no matter their belt rank. They teach Shuri-ryu and alot of what I have learned so far is similar to what I was taking when I was 15-17 (I don't remember the exact style).

At any rate, I have been looking for different books pertaining to the Shuri-ryu style, however none of the good books from Grandmaster Trias are available without paying a ridiculous price on Amazon or Ebay. I have found several articles pertaining to the styles history and lineage, however nothing that I would imagine compares to somethings such as The Pinnacle of Karate by Grandmaster Trias.

I came across the subject line book, and while it is not specifically a Shuri-Ryu book, the reviews on it are excellent. From everything that I gathered, it is a great book on Okinawan heritage. My question is, Do you think getting this book is something that I should look into for a better understanding of Karate-Do in general or would there be other books that pertain to Shuri-Ryu that would be more fitting.

Thanks in Advance for reading such a long first post.
Cheers!

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ridgely Abele Sensei has written some books on Shuri-Ryu, which I understand to be quite good, but they are also very expensive. Since Trias created Shuri-Ryu, and it is a relatively small style, there just isn't a great wealth of material covering it, specifically. You can definitely find valuable information elsewhere, though!

The Bubishi is a good choice from a historical and cultural perspective, and a very interesting read. I would also suggest Mark Bishop's books, of which there are several to choose from, for an exploration of Okinawan styles. The best book for karate history is going to be Karate 1.0 by Andreas Quast.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

Bruisbe
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply. I will take a look at these for sure!!!

Bruisbe
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is going to come off as a double post, however I found a great book written my O'Sensi Robert Bowels, whom is the current Chief Instructor and 10th Dan of Shuri-ryu.

http://www.shuri-ryu.com/store/page3.html

While at first glance the $86 price tag seemed to be quite a bit, however it was free shipping and when I got it, I was thoroughly impressed.

Every single kata, block, punch, etc that one would need to learn and refine from 10th - 1st Kyu is covered in this book with pictures for reference. While this of course is not a replacement for actual training, it is a great device that I have found that allows at home training in-between classes to help remember and confirm what it was that you learned while in class.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the Bubishi goes, the 2nd edition has just been released with significant improvements apparently, so if you do buy new, make sure it's the new edition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: