Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 3:09 am    Post subject: The Chinese and Japanese Martial Arts Reply with quote

In my mind, these are the 2 major martial art nations. They both have created many styles over the last 2000 years. Although Chinese Martial arts are older in general, japanese styles evloved virtually independent of their Chinese father.

What do you think are the key general differences between Japanese and Chinese martial arts?

This is not "which country has better martial artists" thread, but just a general history of their respective evolutions.

Take Care

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I first find exception with your exclution of Korea. They've been able to develop their own MAs as well, and had to keep most of the true ones alive in secret throughout the Japanese occupation.

I cannot speak much on either those of China or Japan with any amount of authority.

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Doug,

Please tell me all you know about Korean arts to.

take Care

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sweat, just had to stand up for the origin of my art.

The other problem, at least in tracking Korean lineage, is how badly it's been distorted over the years to suit those in power at the time.

One book I had read detailed how the northern Chinese styles had adopted the hard/linear style due to the flat hard terrain of the arid north, while the sorthern styles went more soft and circular because of the forrests of the south. It then claimed that the migration over to Korea and Japan of the northern "hard" style explained why TKD and Karate were hard in general. No telling how respectable the source of this info was, though.

I seem to see more emphasis on the internal arts in China. Not that they are abscent from the others, there just seems to be more styles that are purely internal in China compared to the others.

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I would agree with that, the Wudang Kung Fu styles are soley internal and pretty effective styles.

Aikido is one of the only soft Japanese styles.

Does Korea have any internal styles?

Take Care.

risingdragon
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i can tell you a little of the key differences between these two. Well first for basic kung fu of course deals with more opened handed attacks. While karate deals with the opposite more on clenched fist and some opened hand attacks like the spear hand. Plus of course the way these different arts have you train. Well this all the info i can give. If you know these differences already. Then i probably wasted time typing on info you guys might know already.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: