Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DragonMike
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: The Effect of Business Competition on the Martial Arts Reply with quote

This post was originally published as an article in a dedicated KarateForums.com Articles section, which is no longer online. After the section was closed, this article was most to the most appropriate forum in our community.

Today there seems to be a plethora of martial art studios in every major city across the United States. They offer multiple styles ranging from Tae Kwon Do to Aikido to Karate and everything in between. Of course, this creates competition between the dojos for students. Does this competition benefit or hurt the practice of martial arts today?

Competition is what drives the American economy. It gives us innovations and inexpensive reliable products. In many ways it helps the martial arts as well. Contemporary Hollywood movies popularized the study of martial arts. Many young kids were inspired to take the martial arts when they saw Daniel Larusso crane kick Johnny at the end of The Karate Kid. Karate dojos opened up en mass to fill the demand for Japanese martial arts. As Steven Segal rose to popularity, Aikido schools grew in number to satiate our desire to “flip and throw people with little effort.” After the beginning of the Ultimate Fighting Championships, Royce Gracie proved martial arts everywhere needed to concentrate on their groundwork, as well, so Brazilian Ju Jitsu schools became common place. The abundance of schools allow people to find training in the art that compliments their desires and abilities.

However, there are also negatives to competition for students. Several schools now promise that a student will earn the rank of black belt in a set number of years, usually two or three. This cheapens the value of the rank. It might be possible for some students to legitimately earn a black belt in that amount of time if they are naturally athletic and dedicate themselves to training. But, by guaranteeing someone will reach that rank in two or three years, schools are not honoring the journey that is required to become a black belt. People naturally progress through ranks at their own pace. Some will get stuck at green belt because they are having difficulty with the reverse spin kick. Others will stall in the beginning since they do not have the confidence to put their best effort on the floor when they train. As someone goes through the requirements for a black belt, they have to face these issues and others. During this time a martial artist learns what it means to be a black belt in their style and for themselves. When schools put an arbitrary time table on this journey they are reducing the impact that it has for a martial artist.

Also, as schools compete for students, many times they will make the training easier then it was in the years past. Today many Americans are put off by the thought of the hard work, patience and perseverance that the martial arts require. When my regional instructor began training in Tang Soo Do in the early 1960’s, his instructor who emigrated from Korea had all of his students who were past white belt break bricks on all of their tests. He would also require his black belts to fight for a half hour non stop as part of their training. Push ups, sit ups and other calisthenics were the norm for all of the classes. My instructor would always find new ways of training the black belts, such as having us fight on a balance beam. It took many people, including myself, a long time to reach the level of proficiency required to attain our next rank, but when we did, we truly felt that we had achieved something remarkable. As instructors make their training less demanding, they might entice new students, but they are denying them the experience of what martial art training is supposed to be.

Bruce Lee, Jean-Claude Van Damme and Jet Li have all inspired generations of people to seek the benefits that martial arts training can provide. This demand has given many people the opportunity to open schools in various styles of martial arts. This has given martial arts an unprecedented place in the public conscience. Due to this, martial artists must go out of their way to safeguard the image that is portrayed. I encourage all instructors not to guarantee black belts in a certain time period of training. Let your students grow for themselves. Their abilities and attitudes will tell you when they are ready to be considered for black belt. I also encourage you not to make your training too easy. There is tremendous benefit in hard work. It may cost you a few students, but the students you do retain will be much better off for it. By taking these measures, we can do our part to safe guard our traditions and teachings for ourselves and the next generation of martial artists to follow.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the submission.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

GMac
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent article, I really enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing

setboy
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice

MisterRadley
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: ITF TKD, some Jujitsu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad article. Thanks.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article, and great points. Thanks, Mike.

DragonMike
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you guys liked it!

Sensei Tom O'Brien
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Vee-Jitsu, Shotokan, Arnis, Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Great article Reply with quote

This is great stuff. I have been in the martial arts for about 35 yrs. now. I have had my dojo for about 25 yrs. I have not promoted anyone to black belt yet. I have one student who has been with me for over 7 years now who is going to be promoted to 1st dan very soon. He is dedicated and consistent. In the last couple of tournaments he has fought black belts and won. I won't even promote my own son who has been training with me, off & on, for almost 7 yrs. He is still a purple belt because he only trains when there is a tournament coming up. I am under pressure all the time to water it down to get more students. I won't do it. I never quit my day job. I have been working for the Phone co. for more than 35 yrs. I don't do this for the money. I do it because I love it. Quality is better than quantity. You have re-enforced my resolve.
Thanks,
Sensei Tom

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, Tom. Great post.

baronbvp
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Muay Thai, boxing, JKD/MMA, Shorin Ryu, military combat arts, fencing, archery

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article. I have seen quite a few schools mention that it is possible to earn a black belt in x number of years, but none guarantee it. I think that is the reality of today's market. Students want some light at the end of the tunnel and have no idea if it takes a year or 10 years to earn a black belt.

I've never earned one because I've never been in any one place long enough. I also don't deserve one for the reasons you mention.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: