Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Himokiri Karate
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: The esoteric aspect of martial arts... Reply with quote

To be specific, I am talking about Qi Gong and Kujikiri. Now I just want to note that both disciplines are not really for combat but rather its claims revolved around cultivation of ones spirit and vitality. Both disciplines are rooted in Yoga.

Qi Gong is from china and most folks have heard the name. Many serious kung fu practitioners and folks looking for alternative health tend to partake in these activities. The theme is cultivation of ones being.

Kujikiri is Japanese and while its supposed to be part of ninjutsu, it is a stand alone practice. It revolves around Yoga Mudra which are the handle signals. Much like Qi Gong, this art revolves around being more than what you are in essence of your humanity.

Now this is where my question comes and forgive me if this is going to sound mystical. But what I would like to know is, do you believe in their potential of the practice bestowing great capabilities?

Not necessarily super powers, but more like the ability to have incredible health, renewed youth, increase of vitality and becoming a better learner, sharper mind and body as well as getting rid of traumatic memories stemming from violence or a deep emotional hurt. My end goal is to find out how much you believe in the unknown aspects of martial arts. I mean, ancient warriors and martial artist had tough lives full of darkness. I like to think that they had to create a yin practice to control their yang so that they could evolve in to well minded individuals.[/i]

Wamp
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Ashihara Karate, Marine Corps Martial Arts Program (MCMAP)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question Himokiri Karate,

I think the supper strength of these types of arts comes from clearing out the mind and being able to have mental clarity and focus. Once you get the distractions of life out of your head you can train harder and give more mental focus on learning the art, getting stronger, and staying healthier.

Capella
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kyokushin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, what it comes down to is to learn to calm yourself and control your breathing and heartbeat under physical stress/tension. It really isn't all that esoteric. And yes, I think it does have a great potoential both for your health, but also for your general resiliance in life.

Fat Cobra
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have practiced both and, like the previous posts, I don't believe it gets you mystical powers. However, it does help you focus and potentially control body functions that you may not normally be able to control.

I believe both are good to do.

scohen0300
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve been a yoga teacher for a number of years. Although I haven’t practiced either of those arts, I can say something about yoga since that’s where they come from.

Yoga, of course, doesn’t give anyone mystical powers. However, I see yoga as a set of tools to help you in a number of ways.

The poses:
- they never change, they’re always the same. And yet, they’ll feel different every single day. Sometimes harder, sometimes easier. You’ll feel extra stiff in some places, and then a different day you’ll feel extra loose. The poses are tools for observation. What have you been doing that made you feel a certain way in this pose? How you eat, how you sleep, your stress levels, your activities, they all will have an affect on this.

BREATHING.
- stress can cause an elevated heart rate and oftentimes trigger an anxiety attack. If you can gain control of your breathing, you can bring your heart rate back down and get control of that stress. Easier said than done, but breathing is a tool that yoga (and I’m assuming these arts) often emphasize.

The 8 Limbs of Yoga.
- these are often referred to as the 8 step process to enlightenment. It includes personal and spiritual observances of yourself and others, breathing, the yoga poses, concentration, “withdrawing” your senses, meditation, and finding and maintaining a mental state of bliss. This is the “curriculum” of yoga.

There are many other practices that can count as yoga, but I think what I’ve covered is the core. These practices are meant to help you live a longer, happier, healthier life with as little stress and struggle as possible. They help you to focus on what’s going to serve you, rather than staying stuck on what doesn’t.

MY ANSWER.
Yes! I believe that incorporating practices such as yoga, martial arts (not just the two you mentioned), and anything similar can bestow great capabilities upon the practitioners. Certainly, none of the mystical kind. But if you have a big heart, a healthy body and a clear mind, there’s no telling what you’ll be capable of.

Instagram: shinobi_sean

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: The esoteric aspect of martial arts... Reply with quote

Himokiri Karate wrote:
Now this is where my question comes and forgive me if this is going to sound mystical. But what I would like to know is, do you believe in their potential of the practice bestowing great capabilities?

Not necessarily super powers, but more like the ability to have incredible health, renewed youth, increase of vitality and becoming a better learner, sharper mind and body as well as getting rid of traumatic memories stemming from violence or a deep emotional hurt. My end goal is to find out how much you believe in the unknown aspects of martial arts. I mean, ancient warriors and martial artist had tough lives full of darkness. I like to think that they had to create a yin practice to control their yang so that they could evolve in to well minded individuals.[/i]

I don't believe any "great" capabilities are bestowed on individuals who practice these things. I'm not convinced that someone who practices these specialties necessarily increases their life span or overall quality of life any more than doing any other physical activity to get into and stay in good shape. I'm not saying that they aren't beneficial to do, if activities like these are in one's wheelhouse. These activities, like so many, appeal to some more than others, and like many activities, one is likely to get out of it what one puts into it.

Himokiri Karate
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wamp wrote:
Good question Himokiri Karate,

I think the supper strength of these types of arts comes from clearing out the mind and being able to have mental clarity and focus. Once you get the distractions of life out of your head you can train harder and give more mental focus on learning the art, getting stronger, and staying healthier.

Sorry if its a late response.

I have been meditating more and more with passing of years. First it was me being discontent with life, then Covid 19 and now running in to bad people as of recent which makes me have very dark and raging thoughts.

If I meditate, the rage does not go away but it allows me agency to control and apply it in to my conversation ( becoming boisterous and strong voice) and helps me want to push myself in training.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: