Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2001 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other day I got R.L. Wing's translation of Sun Tzu's classic, the art of war. I am currently thinking about the first section, on the five fundamentals of strategy... I need a little help clarifying a few points if you wouldn't mind

Therefore, calculate a plan with the five working fundamentals,
And examine the condition of each.

The first is Tao.
The second is Nature.
The third is Situation.
The fourth is Leadership.
The fifth is art.

The Tao inspires people to share in the same ideals and expectations.
Hence, because they share in life and share in death, The people do not fear danger.

Nature is the dark or light, the cold or hot, and the Systems of time.

Situation is the distant or immediate, the obstructed or easy, the broad of narrow, and the chances of life or death.

Leadership is intelligence, credibility, humanity, courage, and discipline.

The art is a flexible system wherein the view(master) and its officials employ the Tao.

These are the five fundamentals of strategy, and although I have given it much thought I am still at a blank on understanding these in a usable way. If anybody here has studied the Art of War, mabye they could give me a nudge in the right direction. I still want to think myself but I'm a bit stuck here!

Please give me a hint
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2001 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

perhaps this will enlighten thee.......

"TAO CREED"

"we believe in the formless, eternal and benevolent TAO, and we recognize all personified deities as being mere human constructs. we reject hatred, intolerance, and unnecessary violence, and embrace harmony, love and learning, as we are taught by nature. we place our trust and our lives in the TAO, that we may live in peace and balance with the universe, both in this mortal life and beyond."

as you can see from this, there is no danger to life...there is only this life and the afterlife.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2001 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you a lot for your input rushman, it's really appreciated

I was giving this some thought yesterday and I am beginning to understand most of it, except the 'nature' fundamental. I really am at a loose end with this, although I am beginning to understand the others. I see all of the fundamentals work together, since the art is a flexible system wherein the leaders employ the Tao. And the situation is obvious enough. But nature really has me at a loose end so any help with this would be appreciated.

PS. Thanks again Rushman!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2001 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see the nature fundamental as the simple fundamental, in the case of the "art of war"............
for example; would you attack or gather information during a bright sunny day or a thunderous storm.........during a full lit night or a moonless night......would you move like an elephant or a panther?

which do you choose? observe nature and you'll find the answers to your examination.

just rushman's humble opinion......

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2001 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh... great help there rushman, as always you're a credit to me

Much gratitude with a bow

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2001 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way rushman, how has studying the Art of War helped you?

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2001 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes; the "art of war" have been very helpful with interpersonal relationships the most........but the TAO has shown me the light above all else..........

[ This Message was edited by: iamrushman on 2001-09-27 19:49 ]
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: