Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Jiffy
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: The Four Facets of Fighting Reply with quote

This post was originally published as an article in a dedicated KarateForums.com Articles section, which is no longer online. After the section was closed, this article was most to the most appropriate forum in our community.

Martial arts has changed a lot in modern years. Many new arts have come to light while others have faded into the darkness. Sometimes, we notice arts molding into one another seamlessly while others hold a steadfast rule about their origins.

During efforts to analyze this, it became apparent that the usual method of separating arts based on the time in history they were created or the country from which they originated was not actually the common denominator. Rather, it was that all forms of martial arts can credit their skills to one or more of the four facets of fighting. All techniques and principles work within these four facets, regardless of the art.

It is also interesting to note that the four facets of fighting are not only different in application, but that the range in which they can be applied is somewhat exclusive. In fact, it is the range that will most likely determine the facet of fighting to be used more than any other deciding factor.

Weapons

The weapons facet is classified as the use of a weapon that is not part of the body. This could range from a pen, to a bo, to a sai, to a gun - however, in most weapons oriented martial arts, the common weapons would include traditional bladed and un-bladed weapons such as the bo, jo, tonfa, sword, knife and Kali stick. Arts such as Kali, Escrima, Buki Ryu, Kendo and Aido specialize in the use of weapons. The weapons range is the longest range of all and can allow someone attacking with a weapon to do so with a great amount of impact while maintaining greater safety through greater distance.

A defender can also gain an advantage by using weapons. Weapons allow them to keep an attacker at a greater distance, reduce negative impact from a blocking movement and increase impact with an aggressive block, counter or lock.

While there are some definite advantages with weapons, there are also some risks involved. One of the risks is that the focus of both the defender and the attacker is on the weapon. This can open the opponent up to other attacks while unaware. The more obvious danger is that of having the weapon taken away and then used in retaliation. There are also certain legal issues that can hold a greater impact if a weapon is used in an altercation.

Striking

The striking facet is classified as the use of mainly striking and blocking movements from a standing position. This would include the likes of kicks, punches, knees, elbows, etc. The striking range is a medium range and varies depending on the technique usage. The striking facet is the most widely practiced facet of martial arts. Martial arts such as Karate, Kempo, Tae Kwon Do and Kung Fu use a large amount of techniques from the striking facet.

It is not difficult to see why it would be valuable to learn from an art that deals with the striking facet. Most altercations will escalate to striking before moving onto other facets of fighting. By training in this facet, the martial artist learns to deal with this common threat and also to respond in an effective manner.

It is also important to recognize that an attacker can get a quick and effective result from the striking facet. A simple punch is often all that is required to end an altercation. By learning this and learning to deal with this, a martial artist can greatly improve their chances of survival.

Stand Up Grappling

The stand up grappling facet encompasses both grappling and trapping. Jams, traps, throws, trips, locks, chokes and holds are all part of this facet. The nature in which techniques from this facet are applied generally dictates that the range will be close. The main advantage of this facet of fighting is that it allows a greater range of pain compliance than can be offered from the striking facet. In the striking facet, while a soft strike can be given to gain control without damage, to increase the level of pain compliance, a second blow must be delivered. In the stand up grappling facet, however, the nature of the techniques that can allow a martial artist to gradually and progressively increase the amount of pain inflicted on their opponent. Stand up grappling is generally included as a large part of Jiu Jitsu, Aikido, Judo, Hapkido and other such arts.

In the stand up grappling facet, a martial artist can learn to deal with very close range threats. With a great concentration on balance and pain tolerance, a martial artist using the stand up grappling facet is able to maintain control of an altercation while maintaining strict control on the amount of damage ultimately done. Being able to cope with the close range of this facet means the martial artist is able to deal with altercations in very tight spaces such as a hotel or train.

While there is a definite advantage to the defender at the distance this facet requires, it can also make them vulnerable to fast attacks. At the close range required for grappling, an attacker can launch an attack and reach the target in a very short time. In addition, being so close to an attacker can also make it difficult to see attacks originating from the lower part of the body due to limits on the angle of peripheral vision.

Ground Grappling

While ground grappling has been around for many years, it has only become popular in the western world in the last decade or so. Ground grappling in essence is the same as stand up grappling, but the techniques are applied from the ground. Ground grappling maintains the closest range of all due to the need to keep hold of an opponent. By allowing an opponent to gain distance, they can get to their feet and gain a definite advantage. Ground grappling is not common in many arts, but is included in arts such as Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Vale Tudo, western wrestling, shoot wrestling, Judo and so on.

It is well known that many altercations end up on the ground. By neglecting to familiarize themselves with ground grappling concepts, a martial artist can seriously compromise their ability to defend themselves if the situation goes to the ground. Conversely, by being an adept ground grappler, a martial artist's chances of survival on the ground are greatly improved due to the general inability of untrained people to fight once on the ground. Like stand up grappling, the martial artist is able to slowly and progressively increase pain compliance techniques as well as apply techniques that will act instantaneously.

While it is possible to classify various arts to contain more of one particular facet of fighting, it is important to note that most arts contain at least some of more than one facet in the event of an altercation.

While it’s not always possible to gain extensive training in all of the facets of fighting, it is imperative that the serious martial artist at least makes himself/herself aware of the ideas and concepts of each facet. By doing this, in addition to learning to transition between the various facets, the martial artist is able to prepare themselves to deal with any combative scenario they may be faced with.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the submission.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice article, Jiffy. I thought that it was well put together, and the different facets were explained very well.

One spot that caught my eye, howerver, was this statement:

Jiffy wrote:
While ground grappling has been around for many years, it has only become popular in the western world in the last decade or so.

I do feel that grappling has been very popular in the west for a very long time. It has been in the form of folk style wrestling, however, as opposed to what most would consider a "traditional" fighting style.

Great job on the article, Jiffy.

TigerDude
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great summary of the types. I might add a 5th skill around threat evalution, including when to use the 4 facets, or when to attempt to disengage. I would not be able to put it so well, though. Well done.

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The Four Facets of Fighting Reply with quote

Excellent job.

I esspecially liked:
Jiffy wrote:
With a great concentration on balance and pain tolerance, a martial artist using the stand up grappling facet is able to maintain control of an altercation while maintaining strict control on the amount of damage ultimately done.

You captured the key reason I was looking for an art that was mainly stand up grappling. I didn't want to have to bludgeon someone anytime I was in need of defending myself. Fortunately, I found KSW which does work all four facets.

Zorbasan
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Shotokan and ICHF Hapkido plus any other style i can get into a seminar on

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice article, well written.

as a martial artists, i would like to be proficient in all facets, but as it stands, striking is the only one i have trained extensivley in.

i think all MA should have basic knowledge, unless you are only after plastic metal trophys

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the good article.

kangaroo
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jiffy, a well written article. Certainly not a way that I have looked at the arts before though!

baronbvp
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Muay Thai, boxing, JKD/MMA, Shorin Ryu, military combat arts, fencing, archery

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great article.

I think more arts should concentrate on today's weapons. I don't expect to be attacked by anyone carrying a rice thresher, or to use one to defend myself. Being attacked by someone with a gun or knife or skateboard is much more likely. I'll bet no one trains on disarming an opponent of a skateboard.

Martial arts are like kinetic chess. Your move.

stejitsu
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: ng gar tien, wing chun, kung fu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baronbvp wrote:
Great article.

Being attacked by someone with a gun or knife or skateboard is much more likely. I'll bet no one trains on disarming an opponent of a skateboard.

I too prefer the idea of modern weaponry's being used in today's training halls. What we consider 'traditional weapons' of martial arts for eg..

Katana
jo
Bo
sai.....etc

They would have been state of art 'weaponry' in their time.

Focus on modern day 'hand to hand' weaponry in our self defense/martial art classess that may help us to survive the modern threats of 'stabbing/clubbing' related crimes.

I can see there is a place for traditional weaponry skills but these are mostly for tradition. Keep these things alive as without, our martial arts history would be empty without it.

Imagine if there were no stories to read of 'samurai' in battle or the assassin ninja going about his business with his throwing stars and smoke bombs !!

'''First in First served''....''Mike Walsh''' 6'th Dan.R.I.P sensie

http://www.communigate.co.uk/chesh/runcornwingchun/index.phtml
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: