Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: The Lazy Man's Kung Fu Reply with quote

Wing Chun is known as "the lazy man's Kung Fu" is this true?

Is this a true or fair statement or just a fallacy, to discredit Wing Chun?

Wing Chun is considered to be Kung Fu but not a traditional style of kung fu, why is that?

Is the growing popularity of Wing Chun due to the movie industry, producing a new generation of lazy martial artists or a more efficient type of fighter?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: The Lazy Man's Kung Fu Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Wing Chun is known as "the lazy man's Kung Fu" is this true?

It's true that it's been labeled as "the lazy man's Kung Fu"! However, that's an assumption by some but not by all; opinions vary, and in that, opinions are a given right.

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Is this a true or fair statement or just a fallacy, to discredit Wing Chun?

Imho, it's a statement to discredit Wing Chun for one reason or another! Why? The summation of 'why' is to the summation of 'because'. Who's to say that the words 'true' or 'fair' or 'fallacy' but the practitioner him/herself. I'm of the opinion that the style should be labeled one way or another, but the practitioner him/herself because of ineffectiveness within that practitioner.

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Wing Chun is considered to be Kung Fu but not a traditional style of kung fu, why is that?

Who considered that opinion? Another MAist? A credible MAist/group? Just who? If the techniques that are found to be effective within the style, then the assumptions are just that, opinions. Not much credit can be given to opinions because they're just that...opinions.

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Is the growing popularity of Wing Chun due to the movie industry, producing a new generation of lazy martial artists or a more efficient type of fighter?

That again would be, imho, an opinion. However a style gains it popularity is of no grave concerns, just as long as the credit is given honestly and without any ambiguity whatsoever. I will say that the term 'lazy', imho, is mean and hateful, and without of much stability.

Everyone has opinions about any MA for whatever the reason(s), and not much credibility rests upon it...can it or can't it?!...that's what matters. If I was in the ocean, and I was drowning, and I had already gone down twice, and was about to go down for the third and final time, and an inner-tube floated by me, and saved my life; I'd kiss an inner-tube for the rest of my life!! And that would be my opinion about that inner-tube!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: Wing Chun as a none traditional kung fu style, is because Shaolin styles are heavily influenced by animals and insects for their attributes.

Wing Chun has been semi influenced by the snake and crane but the triangle linner principles and the no nonsense techniques have dispensed with an flowery techniques.

Also Wing Chun doesn't contain healthy postures or exercises, actually Wing Chun has many bad health aspects contained within the system, while traditional kung fu practices and promotes healthy martial art skills.

This none healthy aspect of Wing Chun could help perpetuate the lazy man label. Many martial art styles do connect themselves with health and fitness whereas Wing Chun is a come as you are style, super human acrobatic activities are not required.

Wing Chun can easily accepts people from other martial art styles or the mature student due to the efficiency of motion or lack of it. Whereas aerobic styles are very demanding on the mature martial artist's body.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Re: Wing Chun as a none traditional kung fu style, is because Shaolin styles are heavily influenced by animals and insects for their attributes.

Wing Chun has been semi influenced by the snake and crane but the triangle linner principles and the no nonsense techniques have dispensed with an flowery techniques.

Also Wing Chun doesn't contain healthy postures or exercises, actually Wing Chun has many bad health aspects contained within the system, while traditional kung fu practices and promotes healthy martial art skills.

This none healthy aspect of Wing Chun could help perpetuate the lazy man label. Many martial art styles do connect themselves with health and fitness whereas Wing Chun is a come as you are style, super human acrobatic activities are not required.

Wing Chun can easily accepts people from other martial art styles or the mature student due to the efficiency of motion or lack of it. Whereas aerobic styles are very demanding on the mature martial artist's body.

Solid post!! You know, maybe WC is the simplistic way; right to the heart of the matter.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The saying about the lazy man "he will find the quickest way"

By no means is Wing Chun a lazy man's martial art, (1) many females students practice it at all ages and (2) it is a kung fu style that can be continued far in to senior years; health permitting (3) Wing Chun is introduced to young school children as in Foshan, China.

Wing Wing is a martial art style that needs daily maintenance. Twice a week for two hours is sufficient for many martial art styles but not for Wing Chun. This fact should be enough to dispel the lazy man label.

Therefore the lazy Wing Chun martial artist is the one that didn't do the homework, that just showed up for class twice a week.

The Wing Chun forms can be practiced very slowly taking as long as 1 hour to complete. Or the forms can be practiced as a dynamic tension exercise, similar to a "Chi Kung" workout; also other variations can be emphasized, focusing on Wing Chun principles and the self defence techniques.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: