Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Higher Self
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Kung Fu, Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: The Marketability of a Self-Defense Academy. Reply with quote

What do you think about the marketability, from a business perspective, of a self-defense academy versus a traditional martial arts school?

I would like to see what this group has to say about the marketability of a self-defense academy versus a traditional martial arts school. I am curious what you all think, as I have a friend who has taught traditional martial arts for his entire adult life. However, enrollment has been down for a while and he is thinking of approaching it from the self-defense academy perspective. I know he has great knowledge and experience to bear and I think it is pretty marketable. I would greatly value the opinions, and especially any specific experiences, of the people in this forum.

Thank you much,

Higher Self

http://Www.higher-self-martial-arts-health-wellness.com

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does he have useful self defence skills, remembering that self defence and martial art are two very different things?

Can your friend, for example, teach situational awareness beyond knowing where your consenting sparring partner is? Can help teach how to look for clues as to what is unfolding, like is the guy across the street just a random passerby or is he friends with the guy right in front of you? Where can you run to, where or how might you get help, can you avoid the confrontation before it even begins, if a verbal encounter happens, how might you de-escalate it? What should your body language be? It certainly shouldn't be a fighting stance but nor should it be a weak and fearful posture. If it does turn physical can you immobilise and escape? What does the law say on appropriate use of force?

I'm not saying this is true of your instructor because I don't know anything about him or her, but I know you can be a very senior and capable martial artist and have practically no self defence skill whatsoever. So the question really is, is your teacher qualified to teach it? If yes, then I'd suggest there'll be a lot of demand.

Higher Self
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are all great considerations OneKickWonder. I think he will make a good transition in that regard. He has branched out a lot in the last 10 years plus, to include pretty high level security and body guard type assignments, as well as branching out from his traditional martial arts training. I agree that the market should be there. It seems to me that if anything, there is more of a push toward what many believe to be more “reality based training “ rather than strict traditional martial arts. Just my perception though. Thanks for taking time to give your input.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything, and everything is marketable; depending on ones approach involving every aspect of a business. And yes, imho, a school of MA IS A BUSINESS, even non-profit.

Marketing is a very sensitive area to manipulate. Yes, manipulate!! If one doesn't know how to reach their pacific target customers, then said business will suffer drastically and die.

I've been in business as a dojo owner/CI ever since 1977, with an active Student Body [Students] on an average of 375; that fluctuates depending on things both in ones control and out of ones control. That has to be expected and accepted wholeheartedly.

I've owned a MA retail business ever since 1982, more like 1985, because in 1982, I sold whatever Century MA Supply had in their current catalog, and set that catalog on a counter for students and parents and visitors could look, and all they had to do if they wanted to buy something, inform me, and I'd order it for them through my wholesale account. That birthed within me the desire to open a full blown MA retail supply store in 1985.

But I had to have the understanding as well as the maturity to successfully market both business; neither business can care for itself, so I had to bust my rear, and overcome the trials and tribulations of failures and successes; I fortunately had far more successes than failures.

Customer Service is key, imho. Without it, the business will not survive. Customers, and yes, your Student Body IS your core customer base. Without great customer service, the marketing means absolutely nothing. Have to be able to provide consistently what you promise; say what you mean and mean what you say.

Short cuts are cool...whenever they work, but whenever they don't, the customer base and the business suffer greatly, and it's just not fair to either. Made the bed, not got to lie in it; comfortable or not!!

I know a lot of knowledgeable MAist who can't teach, who can't manage a business, and who don't have a minimum of an idea about Business 101. They think all they have to do is rent a building and open the doors and teach the MA. I wish it was just that simple, but it's the furthest thing from truth.

Past KF Sensei, ninjanurse, wrote an article about MA Marketing, you might find it quite valuable...

https://www.karateforums.com/integrity-in-martial-arts-school-marketing-vt49256.html

There's also another article on Marketing written by current KF Sensei, tallgeese, that that too is quite valuable...

https://www.karateforums.com/using-youtube-for-your-martial-arts-school-s-marketing-vt49183.html

I wrote this article, that reflects what I'm speaking about in this thread...

https://www.karateforums.com/treating-your-dojo-martial-arts-school-as-a-business-vt47192.html

Another article I wrote concerning owning a MA retail store...

https://www.karateforums.com/treating-your-dojo-martial-arts-school-as-a-business-vt47192.html

The idea of turning a traditional MA school to a self-defense school IS doable as well as profitable...BUT...it will all depend on ones approach across a plethora of parameters.

You see, the inventor of the Pet Rock, was laughed at, I'm sure, but the inventor of the Pet Rock laughed all the way to a huge bank account. APPROACH...APPROACH...APPROACH!!

Location means a lot, BUT, only if the approach is marketable. Location is everything unless one doesn't have a clue about teaching and business. Is the self defense that he wants to teach, will it sell; is it what the market demands...WILL IT LAST OR JUST FADE AWAY.

I wish him great success across the board.

Higher Self
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensei8, that is great information. Thanks for the thoughtful response. I will absolutely consume the articles you suggested in short order. Thanks again and congratulations to you for earning a living with something as special as martial arts. ✌🏼

Last edited by Higher Self on Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The Marketability of a Self-Defense Academy. Reply with quote

You've had some pretty sound advice so far. Especially great post from sensei8

Higher Self wrote:
What do you think about the marketability, from a business perspective, of a self-defense academy versus a traditional martial arts school?

I would like to see what this group has to say about the marketability of a self-defense academy versus a traditional martial arts school. I am curious what you all think, as I have a friend who has taught traditional martial arts for his entire adult life. However, enrollment has been down for a while and he is thinking of approaching it from the self-defense academy perspective. I know he has great knowledge and experience to bear and I think it is pretty marketable. I would greatly value the opinions, and especially any specific experiences, of the people in this forum.

Thank you much,

Higher Self

One thing I will add is: has he drilled down into why enrollment down? Why will self defense have a higher enrollment rate? I think both should work if you are actively marketing and have a good product to sell but these are two different areas with different target markets. Swapping to self defense isn't going to be a magic cure in itself and he will still need to be actively promoting his school in the right places.

edit for spelling

Last edited by DWx on Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Higher Self
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you DWx. You are right, there is a lot of good information to think about. I was confident that would be the case. By the way, I like your Confucius quote. It reminds me of one of my favorites by Einstein - "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."

Thanks,

Higher Self
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sinsei8, those were very informative articles. I agree that running a business should not be vilified. I have been consuming a lot of content regarding entrepreneurship lately. Falling into the "big is bad" mindset in terms of profit or success can be the start of a failed venture. Thanks again for taking the time to share those articles with me. I appreciate it.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good information here so far. I agree with DWx in that some research needs to be done in order to determine why attendance is down. It could be any number of factors, including, but not limited to, kids being interested in other things, classes being too long/too short/bad times (scheduling), adults being busy with other aspects of their lives (again, could be a scheduling issue), or your instructor's focus, teaching style, availability, etc.

Any one of these, or a combination thereof, could be contributing to lack of attendance. I don't think a name change will fix anything. Is the instructor planning on changing his entire curriculum? If so, that could have its own problems, and he will definitely need a plan to implement the new curriculum.

Does the instructor not teach self-defense at all? Many schools included the term "self-defense" somewhere in their description. This would usually suffice, I think. I agree with OneKickWonder that not all schools teach self-defense, but I'm of the opinion that self-defense should at the very least end up being a side-effect of Martial Arts training. If it is not at least a side-effect, then I think there is something wrong with the approach. But that is just my two cents worth.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Researching the potential market base target IS part of Business 101. Having a clear understanding of said target market base is just as important as having the knowledge and experience of said MA and the many off-shoots, like self-defense.

Once there's a clear understanding of the said target market base, then, setting up the Business Plan AND the Business Mission Statement can be much more concrete as to exactly where the 't's' and 'i's' need to be, and not just crossing the 't's' and dotting the 'i's'.

DWx asks the pointed, and necessary questions....

"why enrollment down? Why will self defense have a higher enrollment rate?"

Those answers, imho, have to be answered honestly!! Oftentimes, the answer concerning the dwindling enrollment is no further away that the nearest mirror; not all can teach, and teaching covers a wide range of parameters. Standing in front of students is just one tiny aspect of teaching, that has to be understood by the CI/Owner.

There are so many avenues of self-defense that one can market, and all of those possible areas of self-defense can be lumped together, but if you lump them all together, then you lose the big picture of self-defense. Rape and Bully prevention are more than likely the revenue generators because these areas are real horrors in a very personal way.

To teach just self-defense nowadays, the CI must understand the many different areas within the self-defense circle, and all can turn a profit, but some areas won't earn a dime for one reason or another.

A cold and unfeeling and money hungry CI of self-defense will drastically affect enrollment, both current and prospective. Passion is necessary, but with everything, it has to be regulated one way or another.

Study your Market
Study your Target
Make a plan
Carry the plan out

I can't just teach self-defense!! Teaching just self-defense would bore me to tears, and I'd burn out faster than it took me to type this very paragraph. That's because of my MA knowledge and experience base, and what I have and still can provide MA wise to current and prospective students. Quantity is meaningless next to quality, and quality takes no back seat.

Have to be proactive, but sensible as well.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: