Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 483, 484, 485 ... 534, 535, 536  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
Brian, do you not find it is crazy that you have been posting in this one thread for 13 years? I saw it pop up and 483 pages!

Great stuff though and always interesting seeing what you're doing
Thanks, Danielle! Just knowing this thread exists makes me focus on getting something done a couple of times a week at the least. It's good motivation, I guess.

When I first started the thread, my hope was that other people would join in with what they've done for training during their weeks. At first, there were several people who jumped in and posted, but they kind of fell off. But that's what I really want out of it; to see what others are doing, too, and see what I can do to affect my training. So, with that said....

PLEASE, EVERYONE, FEEL FREE TO JUMP IN HERE AND POST YOUR TRAINING ALONG WITH ME! IT'S LONELY IN HERE!

So, today's training: 12/15/2020

Strength Training

Deadlifts: 135x5, 165x5, 195x3, 210x1, 240x5.
Press: 45x5x2, 70x5, 95x1, 130x3, 130x3, 130x3, 130x3, 130x3.

Since I'm doing press on back to back days, and with the weight getting heavier and being a little harder to manage, I decided to go with sets of 3 and still get the same total volume. It was still pretty hard today, and likely is because of no recovery days between. So, moving forward, I may adjust and have the second day be a push press day, and see how that goes.

Then, after catching up here at KF, I'm going to sit and read Old School Perspectives on Taekwon-do for a little while in a light stretch.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

12/18/2020

Strength Training

Squats: 45x5, 135x5, 155x3, 185x1, 225x5, 225x5, 225x5.
Press: 45x5x2, 70x5, 95x1, 132.5x5, 132.5x5, 132.5x5, 132.5x5, 132.5x5.
Lat Pull-downs: 140x10, 140x10, 140x10, 140x10.

Switching to 2 1/2 lb increases on the press, and apparently moving to sets of 3, as well. My first set of 5 stalled at 3 1/2, so sets of 3 it is now. To keep the same total volume, moving to 5 sets. As it gets harder, it may go to sets of doubles and singles to get to 15.

Later that evening, the whole family went back to the gym to do some cardio work. I piddled around on a rower and a bike with no real effort put in, but I did spend time on the stretching machine, probably about 10 minutes.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12/20/2020

Strength Training

Deadlifts: 135x5, 165x5, 195x3, 210x1, 245x5.
Press: 45x5x2, 70x3, 95x1, 135x4, 135x4, 135x3, 135x3, 135x1.

Pushing the press just as much as I can. Going to hit as many reps as I can per set until I reach total work set volume of 15.

Evening stretching session.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
DWx wrote:
Brian, do you not find it is crazy that you have been posting in this one thread for 13 years? I saw it pop up and 483 pages!

Great stuff though and always interesting seeing what you're doing
Thanks, Danielle! Just knowing this thread exists makes me focus on getting something done a couple of times a week at the least. It's good motivation, I guess.

When I first started the thread, my hope was that other people would join in with what they've done for training during their weeks. At first, there were several people who jumped in and posted, but they kind of fell off. But that's what I really want out of it; to see what others are doing, too, and see what I can do to affect my training. So, with that said....

PLEASE, EVERYONE, FEEL FREE TO JUMP IN HERE AND POST YOUR TRAINING ALONG WITH ME! IT'S LONELY IN HERE!

So, today's training: 12/15/2020

Strength Training

Deadlifts: 135x5, 165x5, 195x3, 210x1, 240x5.
Press: 45x5x2, 70x5, 95x1, 130x3, 130x3, 130x3, 130x3, 130x3.

Since I'm doing press on back to back days, and with the weight getting heavier and being a little harder to manage, I decided to go with sets of 3 and still get the same total volume. It was still pretty hard today, and likely is because of no recovery days between. So, moving forward, I may adjust and have the second day be a push press day, and see how that goes.

Then, after catching up here at KF, I'm going to sit and read Old School Perspectives on Taekwon-do for a little while in a light stretch.

It is impressive how long you've committed to it. I might start posting... maybe

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how long I'll stick at this but here goes...

20/12/20
I'm trying to be a bit more structured with my gym routine so I'm starting up with Stronglifts 5x5 program. Haven't lifted properly in 12 months so was just figuring out where I am strength-wise. Numbers are a bit weedy but trying to concentrate on good form and the routine before increasing the weight.

Squat
10x20kg, 10x40, 10x50, 5x60, 5x60, 5x60, 5x60, 5x60

Bench Press
10x20kg, 10x20, 10x20

Deadlift
10x30kg 10x50, 5x60, 5x60, 5x60, 5x60, 5x60

Dumbell Shoulder Press
10x10kg, 10x10, 10x10

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on you, Danielle! I remember jumping in with the 5x5 program some years ago. I moved to Starting Strength, which I found to be a better template, and they have a book which provides great information on how to do the lifts and how to get the program started.

The hardest part is getting started, that's for sure. It's great to see it! And thanks for dipping in here with me!

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Good on you, Danielle! I remember jumping in with the 5x5 program some years ago. I moved to Starting Strength, which I found to be a better template, and they have a book which provides great information on how to do the lifts and how to get the program started.

The hardest part is getting started, that's for sure. It's great to see it! And thanks for dipping in here with me!

Thanks Brian. I was trying to decide between the two.. and what swayed me initially is the SL 5x5 program has fewer exercises for me to learn and also the official app is free whereas the Starting Strength app was £23. I might swap over at some point depending on how I get on.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

22/12/20
Still trying to figure out where I need to start with these. Also had to cut my session short as due to COVID you get an hour slot in the gym, after which everyone leaves and they disinfect the whole gym. Turned up late to my slot so didn't see the full hour.

Squat
10x20kg, 5x62.5, 5x62.5, 5x62.5, 5x62.5, 5x62.5

Bench Press
10x20kg, 10x25, 5x30,5x30, 5x30, 5x30, 5x30

Barbell Row
10x20kg, 5x30kg, 5x40, 5x40, 5x40, 5x40

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you on the utility of the apps, Danielle. I don't use the apps, though. Instead, I just keep a paper training log. I refer to my previous workout, and add 5 lbs for squats and deadlifts, and 2.5 lbs for the press now (I don't bench press due to the fact that it hurts my shoulder as it gets heavier...maybe someday).

As for the Starting Strength program, the only difference is learning the power clean, and you don't really need to do that lift for quite some time. What I find with 5x5 is his emphasis on starting with the empty bar, and adding only 5 lbs per workout. It really just costs you a lot of valuable training time, and the volume catches up with you eventually.

As for your starting weights, to find a good starting point, do a set of 5 at a warmup weight you can handle, then rack it. Add 5 lbs, and do another set, and continue until you notice the bar speed slow down, and call that your work set. It should be stressful enough to work you, but not so stressful that you don't recover by the time the next workout rolls around. Hope that helps out.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
I hear you on the utility of the apps, Danielle. I don't use the apps, though. Instead, I just keep a paper training log. I refer to my previous workout, and add 5 lbs for squats and deadlifts, and 2.5 lbs for the press now (I don't bench press due to the fact that it hurts my shoulder as it gets heavier...maybe someday).

As for the Starting Strength program, the only difference is learning the power clean, and you don't really need to do that lift for quite some time. What I find with 5x5 is his emphasis on starting with the empty bar, and adding only 5 lbs per workout. It really just costs you a lot of valuable training time, and the volume catches up with you eventually.

As for your starting weights, to find a good starting point, do a set of 5 at a warmup weight you can handle, then rack it. Add 5 lbs, and do another set, and continue until you notice the bar speed slow down, and call that your work set. It should be stressful enough to work you, but not so stressful that you don't recover by the time the next workout rolls around. Hope that helps out.

I mostly like the SL5x5 app as it works out my warm up sets for me and does all the plate calculations so I just turn up and go.

I have to say what I don't like about the SL programme is that it asks you to only do 5x1 of deadlifts, it doesn't feel like enough so I've been doing 3x5s.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 483, 484, 485 ... 534, 535, 536  Next
Page 484 of 536
Jump to: