Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 513, 514, 515 ... 534, 535, 536  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Zaine, please keep posting here!

10/26/2022

TKD Class: 6:30 - 7:30 pm. T-shirt Class. I did a bunch of switch-kicking on the heavy bag. I wanted to try to focus on switching feet and switch-kicking more in sparring tonight. I warmed up with basic front and back leg round kicks, then I did back leg switch round kicks, switch-foot round kicks, side kicks, front kicks, and outside crescent kicks, all on the heavy bag. After the kicking, I did a long stretch on the rack, and I felt pretty good.

Did my form a few times, Choong Jang. Not fast, but with a good steady rhythm, and I felt like I did well and made some much needed changes in some areas.

Next came sparring. Only sparred three rounds, but at 90 seconds per round now, which is good for upping the conditioning. First round I sparred ok, but against a much lower rank, so worked on landing my switches, and my footwork. Second round was against a black belt, but he spars very slowly. So I wasn't blitzing him or overwhelming him, but with his slowness I just kind ended up watching everything instead of focusing on my game plan. I've got to work on that. Last match was with a little girl, so we worked getting her more aggressive and throwing in combinations.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

10/27/2022

Strength Training

Safety Bar Squat: 60x5x2, 150x5, 150x5, 150x5, 170x5, 170x5.
RDLs: 45x5, 100x5, 140x5, 185x2, 200x8, 200x8, 200x8.
Barbell Rows: 150x8, 150x8, 150x8.

I decided to give the safety squat bar a try today. I didn't like it that much, but I liked it better than not squatting, so I'm going to be moving forward with it for the foreseeable future. I definitely noticed the difference in my trunk working to stabilize the load than I did with the combination of hacks and leg presses. I took some playing around to figure out how I should secure the bar, and waiting for it to "balance" when I take it out of the rack, but I think I've got a working solution going forward.

10/28/2022

Strength Training

Snatch Grip Deadlifts: 105x5, 115x5, 155x3, 205x1, 230x5, 230x5.
Conditioning: TKD forms.

I did two forms, back to back, then rested briefly, then did two more forms, back to back. I did Chon Ji/Choong Jang, Dan Gun/Choong Jang, and Bo Chung/Choong Jang. So, I ended up doing my 4th dan form 3 times, which was good practice. Had a nice stretch in the rack prior to forms. Legs were pretty fatigued afterwards. I spent about 10 minutes on the forms, including the brief rest periods.

Starting the next week, my work schedule shifts. With that happening, I'm going to try to switch my lifting schedule to Monday/Wednesday/Friday. I'm going to squat with the safety bar 3 times per week on a linear progression, while sticking with the Heavy/Light/Medium program for my pulls.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
10/27/2022

Strength Training

Safety Bar Squat: 60x5x2, 150x5, 150x5, 150x5, 170x5, 170x5.
RDLs: 45x5, 100x5, 140x5, 185x2, 200x8, 200x8, 200x8.
Barbell Rows: 150x8, 150x8, 150x8.

I decided to give the safety squat bar a try today. I didn't like it that much, but I liked it better than not squatting, so I'm going to be moving forward with it for the foreseeable future. I definitely noticed the difference in my trunk working to stabilize the load than I did with the combination of hacks and leg presses. I took some playing around to figure out how I should secure the bar, and waiting for it to "balance" when I take it out of the rack, but I think I've got a working solution going forward.

10/28/2022

Strength Training

Snatch Grip Deadlifts: 105x5, 115x5, 155x3, 205x1, 230x5, 230x5.
Conditioning: TKD forms.

I did two forms, back to back, then rested briefly, then did two more forms, back to back. I did Chon Ji/Choong Jang, Dan Gun/Choong Jang, and Bo Chung/Choong Jang. So, I ended up doing my 4th dan form 3 times, which was good practice. Had a nice stretch in the rack prior to forms. Legs were pretty fatigued afterwards. I spent about 10 minutes on the forms, including the brief rest periods.

Starting the next week, my work schedule shifts. With that happening, I'm going to try to switch my lifting schedule to Monday/Wednesday/Friday. I'm going to squat with the safety bar 3 times per week on a linear progression, while sticking with the Heavy/Light/Medium program for my pulls.

Out of curiosity have you ever tried front squatting? I used to find that quite a good option sometimes and it was really good for core strength. My wrist flexibility isn't that great anymore (legacy of some injuries) so i use lifting straps to make little 'handles' that allow for correct elbow positioning etc.

Just thought it might be another option if you don't like the safety squat bar

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Front squatting is really hard on my knees. They don't like it. That's why I prefer the low bar squat variation. That, and low bar squat allows for heavier weight to be lifted, and involves more muscle groups. More bang for the buck, so to speak.

I'd really like to have a Marrs Bar to squat with. Better design than the safety squat bar, allowing for better balance, and also puts the bar more into a low-bar position.

10/31/2022

Strength Training

Safety Squats: 60x5x2, 150x3, 170x5, 170x5, 170x5.
Deadlifts: 225x3, 275x2, 320x5.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

11/2/2022

Strength Training

Safety Squats: 60x5x2, 110x5, 130x3, 150x1, 180x5, 180x5, 180x5.
RDLs: 45x5, 100x5, 140x5, 185x3, 205x8, 205x8, 205x8.
Barbell Rows: 155x8, 155x8, 155x8.
Stretch: spent about 5 minutes stretching/reading in The Rack.
Conditioning: TKD forms work again, in the same 2 at a time pattern. Chon Ji/Choong Jang, Dan Gun/Choong Jang, Bo Chung/Choong Jang, Do San/Choong Jang.

Struggled with balance today, especially when turning into techniques. There's a side kick in Choong Jang that is done from kind of an awkward position, so I worked on getting my base foot pivoted and my body lined up to fix it. There are also two low ridgehand blocks that I focused on getting the technique lined up correctly upon completion. It's a really weird position to get the arm into, blocking low and getting it completely turned over.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent strength sessions, you're killing it!

Rows look like they are progressing nicely too

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

11/1

Squats: 3 sets of 15 @ 75 pounds
Deadlifts: 3 sets of 15 @ 75 pounds
Calf raises: 3 sets of 15 @ 75 pounds
30 minutes of rowing machine at highest setting.

11/2

Flat bench press: 3 sets of 15 @ 50lbs
Negative press: 3 sets of 15 @ 50lbs
45 degree press: 3 sets of 15 @ 50lbs
Bicep curls: 3 sets of 15 @ 30lbs
Tricep curls: Bicep curls: 3 sets of 15 @ 30lbs
Shoulder press: Bicep curls: 3 sets of 15 @ 30lbs
Stationary bike: 30 minutes (16.3 km)

11/3
5k run (33 minutes)
30 minutes of kata training

I have been approaching kata, overall, in a different way. Keep my body a lot looser, allowing my muscles to do their thing. It's been really great, and I feel that my form and technique has vastly improved.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each and every one of you should be very proud of what you've accomplished as well as your shown dedication across the board. I'm in the presence of BEASTS, and what I really love is that your dedications have more than likely rubbed off on those who you train and those who you train with.

Train hard and train well!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthPenguin wrote:
Excellent strength sessions, you're killing it!

Rows look like they are progressing nicely too

Thanks! They are feeling better and better.

Zaine wrote:
I have been approaching kata, overall, in a different way. Keep my body a lot looser, allowing my muscles to do their thing. It's been really great, and I feel that my form and technique has vastly improved.

Are you using the approach where you stay loose and flexible while throwing the technique, and then tightening at the moment of impact? I've been approaching forms like this for some time, and it really helps me out. I'm a bigger guy, but I feel like I don't look as "stiff" when doing forms as some of the other black belts in the school.

sensei8 wrote:
Each and every one of you should be very proud of what you've accomplished as well as your shown dedication across the board. I'm in the presence of BEASTS, and what I really love is that your dedications have more than likely rubbed off on those who you train and those who you train with.

Train hard and train well!!

Thanks, Bob! Really appreciated!

11/4/2022

Strength Training

Safety Squats: 60x5x2, 110x5, 130x3, 150x1, 190x5, 190x5, 190x5.
Snatch Grip Deadlifts: 155x3, 205x2, 235x5, 235x5.
Stretch: quads, hams, glutes.

Squat is coming along well. Not feeling the pull on the adductor right now. I'm focusing on keeping my knees out, but not shoving them outside of where my feet are, instead making sure they track with my feet. Seems to be working for now.

I really like how the snatch-deads are coming along, too. It's a really long pull for me, but I think it may help me off the bottom of my standard deadlifts. I think it's helping my lats more, too.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Are you using the approach where you stay loose and flexible while throwing the technique, and then tightening at the moment of impact? I've been approaching forms like this for some time, and it really helps me out. I'm a bigger guy, but I feel like I don't look as "stiff" when doing forms as some of the other black belts in the school.

Yes, and I have found that it allows for more momentum. I have long limbs, and allowing these extremities to work for me, instead of making them do it, has been really great. I have found that I no longer look "stiff," I am getting more power from my techniques, and I am less worn out after doing a number of kata in a row.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 513, 514, 515 ... 534, 535, 536  Next
Page 514 of 536
Jump to: