Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 514, 515, 516 ... 533, 534, 535  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2022 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zaine wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
Are you using the approach where you stay loose and flexible while throwing the technique, and then tightening at the moment of impact? I've been approaching forms like this for some time, and it really helps me out. I'm a bigger guy, but I feel like I don't look as "stiff" when doing forms as some of the other black belts in the school.

Yes, and I have found that it allows for more momentum. I have long limbs, and allowing these extremities to work for me, instead of making them do it, has been really great. I have found that I no longer look "stiff," I am getting more power from my techniques, and I am less worn out after doing a number of kata in a row.

That's really great. Right now, I'm fighting with an injured left shoulder, and it really prevents me from putting a lot of power into much of anything, especially any blocks that go overhead. So, I still stay loose, but have to throw my techniques much slower than usual. But I try to really lock out at the moment of completion, really get that kime, I guess. I could try to do the left handed techniques more slowly and throw the right hand with full power, but that feels really wonky, as one side of my body doesn't want to move faster than the other all that much. I don't know if that would be worth trying or not.

11/5 and 11/6/2022

It's not much, but the wife and I had a nice walk with the dogs these two days. On the 5th, we walked a little over a mile and a half, and on the 6th, we walked just under a mile.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:

Squat is coming along well. Not feeling the pull on the adductor right now. I'm focusing on keeping my knees out, but not shoving them outside of where my feet are, instead making sure they track with my feet. Seems to be working for now.

I really like how the snatch-deads are coming along, too. It's a really long pull for me, but I think it may help me off the bottom of my standard deadlifts. I think it's helping my lats more, too.

Excellent. I have the same focus on squats too - i have absurdly long legs (i have a 36" inseam) so i've always had to put a lot of effort into form / depth on a squat. I find that pushing knees out seems to work, i also have feet slightly turned out,approx 10 degrees or so, and try to hit hamstrings touching calves on every rep. That is the key for me to make sure i hit depth!

Well done on the snatch grip deadlifts too - is a really good lift and you will likely find that your standard deadlift poundages have taken a massive jump too as a result

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

11/7/2022

Range: Night shoot tonight. Did a 50 round qualification course with the pistol, including a transition to the back-up weapon, then two 15-round runs with the rifle, then two 5-round runs with the shotgun. For the long guns, we were shooting one target on our way to cover, then had to roll out and shoot at targets that were on either side of the cover. Always good to practice at night.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
11/7/2022

Range: Night shoot tonight. Did a 50 round qualification course with the pistol, including a transition to the back-up weapon, then two 15-round runs with the rifle, then two 5-round runs with the shotgun. For the long guns, we were shooting one target on our way to cover, then had to roll out and shoot at targets that were on either side of the cover. Always good to practice at night.

Out of curiosity is the range time work related or recreation related?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthPenguin wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
11/7/2022

Out of curiosity is the range time work related or recreation related?

Work related. One of the perks!

11/8/2022

Strength Training

Safety Squats: 60x5x2, 130x5, 150x3, 170x1, 200x5.

My darn workout got cut short because I got called into work. The schedule got changed, and I didn't realize my shifts got moved around. Bummer. Probably won't be back into the gym this week until Friday afternoon now.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always annoying when a workout gets cut short but one of the benefits of being consistent (as you are) if you can absorb the missing session. It's just a few more days recovery time

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthPenguin wrote:
Always annoying when a workout gets cut short but one of the benefits of being consistent (as you are) if you can absorb the missing session. It's just a few more days recovery time
Yes, I hope so. It should be that way for the deadlift, anyway. I find that if I miss too many days of squatting, coming back really sucks.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah is interesting the lifts that need to be practiced regularly to avoid them sucking. For me deadlift and squat are usually fine - worst one is the overhead press followed by the bench. Without regular work they quickly fall off i find.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

11/11/2022

Finally, back to the gym.

Strength Training

Warmup: a couple of minutes on the rowing machine.
Safety Squat: 60x5x2, 130x5, 150x3, 170x1, 195x5, 195x5, 195x5.
Deadlifts: 225x3, 275x2, 325x5.
Stretch: quads, hams, glutes, lower back.

Deadlift felt pretty good today. It seemed to stay locked tight to the body. Looking forward to a full week of training next week.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

11/14/2022

Strength Training

Warmup: 2 minutes on the rowing machine.
Safety Squats: 60x5x2, 100x5, 140x3, 180x1, 200x5, 200x5, 200x5.
Snatch Grip Deadlifts: 165x3, 215x2, 240x5, 240x5.

I find I'm spending time squatting really trying to figure out where it doesn't pull on my adductor. For the most part, I'm getting it right. Snatch deads felt really good today; they stayed locked in and tight to the shins. I think the first thing to give out will be grip strength. I'll have to look at working with straps as I approach the 300 lb mark for the lift.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 514, 515, 516 ... 533, 534, 535  Next
Page 515 of 535
Jump to: