Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

shotochem
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Kempo, BJJ, Baby-Do-Jitsu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a student should be fully informed as to what they are getting themselves into before they take their first class. We don't want to be building false senses of security that can cost lives, do we? A person may take a martial art, a McDojo martial art, and then feel confident only to learn that everything they were taught was useless, and end up in a hospital.

I agree 100% that is not only imoral on the teachers part, but pure negligence!!!

A good teacher will teach the student what will work for them in a real situation as well as the regular techniques. A false sense of security in a dangerous situation can get you seriously injured or worse....

El Guerrero Loco
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So karate is useless eh? Its too slow and indirect? I've kicked up to the face of many people even ppl way bigger than me before they even noticed i was kicking. I admit some of the stuff we learn is not "practical" but that certainly doesn't mean that the rest isn't. So according to you, i'd be wasting my time giving you a slide up side kick to the knee huh? I think not. What do u do...no wait lemme guess, JKD. I could be wrong but i have encountered many with a similar attitude. If Karate was useless then why have so many used it effectivly? Why do many Karateka do so well in K-1. Certainly they should be absolutley useless against ppl who's sole purpose if fighting like thai boxers(i love muay thai by the way). But the're not. Surely Karate would be useless in a real fight, i know some young karateka, one is in grade 6(very small and skinny), he has no trouble fighting bigger grd. 8s..and another who was in grade 6, he also had no toruble with grd 8s. I presonally do martial arts for the sole purpose of becoming a more powerful fighter and i DO disagreee with doing it for most other reasons. How you would say our techniques are useless when many of them are extremely similar to JKD techniques. JKD is a totally fight oriented art, so because the techniques are similar, JKD must be useless too. Karate is useless eh? The only thing that is useless are scumbags like you and no i don't care about you opinion @$$hole!!!

BTW, I do Karate, but also learn many other arts through other sources ie. books, internet, videos etc. and i do work to make my style more practical, so in truth i'm not really a true karateka but instead a free-style fighter(yes and i use mostly JKD principals and muay thai style fighting) but even so, try goign to Japan and saying karate is useless to one of the kyokoshin karate students...if ur still standing after 30 seconds maybe i'll show you some respect Usted pelaso de MIERDA!!!

jakmak52
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: ITF TKD (Chang Hon) & Shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-06-07 19:31, psychospaz wrote:
Quote:

If you take aerobic kick boxing, or TaeBo, would you call yourself a martial artist? No, you wouldn't, because they're not martial arts.

Would you say that to Master Billy Blanks!?!?!?

Yes, I would say it to him...

http://community.webshots.com/user/jakmak521

wouldn't you

:-)-:
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To give a person one's opinion and correct his faults is an important thing. It is compassionate and comes first in matters of service. But the way of doing this is extremely difficult. To discover the good and bad points of a person is an easy thing, and to give an opinion concerning them is easy, too. For the most part, people think that they are being kind by saying the things that others find distasteful or difficult to say. But if it is not recieved well, they think that there is nothing more to be done. This is completely worthless. It is the same as bringing shame to a person by slandering him. It is nothing more than getting it off one's chest.
To give a person an opinion one must first judge well whether that person is of the disposition to recieve it or not. One must become close with him and make sure that he continually trusts one's word. Approaching subjects are dear to him, seek the best way to speak and to be well understood. Judge the occasion, and determine whether it is better by letter or at the time of leave-taking. Praise his good points and use every device to encourage him, perhaps by talking about one's own faults without touching on his, but so that they will occur to him. Have him recieve this in the way that a man would drink water when his throat is dry, and it will be an opinion that will correct faults.
This is extremely difficult. If a person's fault is a habit of some years prior, by and large it won't be remedied. I have had this experience myself. To be intimate with all one's comrades, correcting each other's faults, and being of one mind, to be of use to the master is the great compassion of a retainer. By bringing shame to a person, how could one expect to make him a better man?

~Hagakure, Yamamoto Tsunetomo

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2002 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

BTW, I do Karate, but also learn many other arts through other sources ie. books, internet, videos etc. and i do work to make my style more practical, so in truth i'm not really a true karateka but instead a free-style fighter(yes and i use mostly JKD principals and muay thai style fighting)

LOL! You really contradicted yourself there. What is it that makes you feel you need to cross train in other arts along with karate ?

You can't say JKD is similar to karate, because it's in no way similar to karate! It's like saying x equals y, when clearly, it doesn't!

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2002 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gah, did my last post mean nothing to you all!? I took me a long time to type that!

jakmak52
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: ITF TKD (Chang Hon) & Shotokan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it was the culmination of all the training I received, the kata, the sparring, the pushups, the failures and successes, the taking and giving of hits, the briuses and blood loss, the explanations given to me for the moves and patterns, kata and bunkai, the constant "keep your guard up"!! I really don't believe that one style or discipline is superior to the others, I believe that the individual controls and displays his/hers experience and training in their own respective "art"

Peace

http://community.webshots.com/user/jakmak521

Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2002 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

Martial_Artist
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: The Pure Art

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice quote, :- )-:

Thanks for sharing it.

EGL,

No me vale madre. Talk like a dignified person and maybe, just maybe, I'll recognize your existence and enter correspondence with you. You've done this before, under another thread. (Dirty Fighting).

What are you trying to prove, and to whom? Do you feel threatened by my remarks? Does that "bother" you? Maybe you should reevaluate yourself and find out why my comments hit the right note with you. Because, when has angry talk ever solved anything.

Why don't you care about my opinion? Why would you even make any comments if what I said doesn't mean a thing to you? You see, you've already revealed a weakness. You say you don't care, but already you have revealed that you do by leaving an emotionally charged post. You can't contradict yourself and expect to be believed.

Name calling? Scumbag? What have I ever done to you? Who are you to call me a scumbag? Do you know me? Have we met? You don't know me. You know only what I want you to know about me. You don't know me or what I know. Be careful not to assume too much, you'll make a fool of yourself.

I don't study JKD.

I have been to Japan. I have been to Hong Kong, Korea, and the Philippines. I am still standing. In fact, I can stand quite well. You can't see it, but I'll stand to type this. There, impressed? It doesn't really matter to me. I'm not trying to prove anything to anybody nor am I trying to impress anyone.

You know, how can you honestly expect anything you say to be listened to seriously when you don't approach anyone in an amiable manner? Cursing at me in spanish, although maybe not understood by all is understand by some and, is not a good way to earn respect.

I think you have some issues you need to resolve. I wish I could help, but since I'm an a-hole and my opinion doesn't matter to you I won't be able to.

I don't know you, so I can't make any judgments. If what I said riles you up, maybe there's some truth behind it. The guilty always take the truth to be hard. That's just life.

I hope you progress further in your martial arts training. Someday you may develop mental discipline and self respect (so that regardless of what is said, it won't get you angry)

Words are a terrible thing to fight over. They are nothing but air, to whom do they harm? Only those that let them.

[ This Message was edited by: Martial_Artist on 2002-06-24 13:46 ]

Radok
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorin-ryu Karate-do

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Martial_Artist. If you do it to compete, you are an athlete. If you do it to exersize, you are excersizing. But if you do it to learn to fight, you are a true martial artist.

Many people seem to take Karate to get a Black Belt, rather than getting a Black Belt to learn Karate.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7
Jump to: