Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

BoothJ9
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shukokai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:28 pm    Post subject: The name of a strike Reply with quote

I am trying to find the name of a technique which I occasionally use during defences. I would describe it in English as a 'cupped hand strike' which would be used towards the throat, similar to a single handed choke but not holding. A simple strike with the hand matching the shape of the neck. The hand is in the position as though holding a cup.

Is this even a technique and if so what is the proper English name and, if known, the Japanese name for the strike?

Thank you for any replies or any light shed on this matter.

crash
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: karate,

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the closest strike to that may be a ridge hand strike, but if you are actually striking with your hand formed like holding a cup, then you are possibly exposing the thumb, fingers and wrist in a position to be broken. the wrist and thumb are not the strongest areas to be taking a blunt force strike such as this in that type position.

eighthundred
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Korean this is called kahl jaebi. Including a picture as I am also interested in what the Japanese terminology would be.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzBcm5zr7FmehtMlh2pczrrHwU5pFgeHikI_PEjZItFDr78hDplDFmUcZOSxjFtabRLRg&usqp=CAU

crash
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: karate,

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eighthundred wrote:
In Korean this is called kahl jaebi. Including a picture as I am also interested in what the Japanese terminology would be.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRzBcm5zr7FmehtMlh2pczrrHwU5pFgeHikI_PEjZItFDr78hDplDFmUcZOSxjFtabRLRg&usqp=CAU

Yubi-hasami or hira basami is i think what you may be looking for. but like spearhand and other finger strike techniques i still think they may not be the best go-to type strikes due to possible injury. but i do understand the traditional strikes are part of learning and tradition

eighthundred
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. It seems that yubi-hasami and hira basami have different applications to how kahl jaebi would be used. However, while looking I found the term toho uchi which is closer to the application I had in mind.

BoothJ9
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eighthundred wrote:
Interesting. It seems that yubi-hasami and hira basami have different applications to how kahl jaebi would be used. However, while looking I found the term toho uchi which is closer to the application I had in mind.

It seems that toho uchi is the technique I am referring to. I had also had a look at yubi-hasami but as you say, it seemed to be a different application to what I was describing.

Thank you very much

BoothJ9
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crash wrote:
eighthundred wrote:

Yubi-hasami or hira basami is i think what you may be looking for. but like spearhand and other finger strike techniques i still think they may not be the best go-to type strikes due to possible injury. but i do understand the traditional strikes are part of learning and tradition

I had looked at yubi-hasami but it isn't quite the technique that I am thinking of. This is also not a technique I would use against an opponent, as it would crush the windpipe and kill the opponent plus the reasons you highlighted. I was simply trying to find the name of the technique and would only use it during practise. Curiosity really.

Thank you for the reply

tatsujin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Ryusei-ha Ryukyu Kempo Karate-jutsu

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: The name of a strike Reply with quote

BoothJ9 wrote:
I am trying to find the name of a technique which I occasionally use during defences. I would describe it in English as a 'cupped hand strike' which would be used towards the throat, similar to a single handed choke but not holding. A simple strike with the hand matching the shape of the neck. The hand is in the position as though holding a cup.

Is this even a technique and if so what is the proper English name and, if known, the Japanese name for the strike?

Thank you for any replies or any light shed on this matter.

One of the interesting things about toho-uchi (刀法 打ち) is that it is often showed as a choke type of technique.

However, a good example of the usage is that the four fingers of the hand are used as a "guide"...so, they "touch" the outside of the neck. With the thumb half folded, it will come straight in on a vital point called ST-9 or Stomach 9 (人迎 - Man's Prognosis). This is especially effective when the strike is performed in and in and downwards angle of about 45 degrees.

Part of the local anatomy of the ST-9 point is the Vagus Nerve. In Western Medicine, this point is often used so that manual manipulation will bring down blood pressure. This point, from a striking perspective, will quickly take someone out...either just set them on their butt or flat out cause a knockout.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: