Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarateKen wrote:
DarthPenguin wrote:
It just showed how great Gretzky was that Mario was the closest to him really and the distance was still quite vast

Gretzky is, imo, the best ever, though some do argue for Gordie Howe. Sadly, Gretsky's goal record will likely be broken in the 24-25 season. I say sadly because Gretzky was the reason I became a hockey fan.

Favorite player right now though is Morgan Barron. In a game last week, the dude took a skate to the face. Went into the locker room, needed 75 stitches, then returned to the game. I was at the game when it happened. Legendary toughness.

I won't say it's sad that Gretzky's record is likely to be broken. It's the nature of things that eventually someone better, stronger, faster will come around. I'm not a huge Caps fan, but I've been following Ovi's march towards Gordie's (and soon to be Gretzky's) goal records. The fact that he has put up THIRTEEN 40+ goal seasons is amazing in today's hockey environment.

Hockey players always amaze me with their toughness and resilience. Morgan Barron is just the most recent to do so. I remember a number of years ago where Chris Pronger took a puck to the chest in a playoff game against the Red Wings. He stood back up, took two strides and collapsed on the ice -- the puck had interrupted his cardiac rythm. His heart started back up on its own (VERY fortunate for him). He spent the night in the hospital for observation, and was back on the ice two nights later. I remember watching Pierre Turgeon take a puck to the face and lose several teeth. He missed less than a period where he got stitched up (declining anaesthetic!), and came back to score the game winning goal in overtime. After a team gets eliminated in the playoffs each year, you'll hear the injury reports. So-and-so was playiing with a broken finger. So-and-so dislocated his shoulder in round 1. Player X played with a hairline fracture on his ankle.

Hockey players are a different breed to be sure.
Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan
ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

KarateKen
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wild are eliminated in the first round again. I gave up during the second period of game six. It was clear how that was going to end.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Rangers went up 2-0 and proceeded to get absolutely crushed in the next 3 games. Game 7 tonight. *shrug* We'll see!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

KarateKen
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick wrote:
The Rangers went up 2-0 and proceeded to get absolutely crushed in the next 3 games. Game 7 tonight. *shrug* We'll see!

I was hoping they would pull it off.

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering how far the Kraken will make it this year. Grubauer is definitely on his A-game, and they were able to completely stifle MacKinnon for large portions of round 1. Granted, the Avs were playing without several key players (Nichuskin for one), but the Kraken are playing really well.

Mind you, given that the Avs and Blues are out of the picture, I'm cheering for the Stars here, but my playoff bracket is basically completely busted. I had picked the Bruins, Avs, and Rangers all to advance., with the Bruins and Avs in the Cup Finals. We all see how THAT worked out...

KarateKen
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2023 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aurik wrote:
I'm wondering how far the Kraken will make it this year. Grubauer is definitely on his A-game, and they were able to completely stifle MacKinnon for large portions of round 1. Granted, the Avs were playing without several key players (Nichuskin for one), but the Kraken are playing really well.

Mind you, given that the Avs and Blues are out of the picture, I'm cheering for the Stars here, but my playoff bracket is basically completely busted. I had picked the Bruins, Avs, and Rangers all to advance., with the Bruins and Avs in the Cup Finals. We all see how THAT worked out...

I thought the Bruins were the clear favorite to win the cup but I was glad when they were out because now if Vegas makes the finals there is a better chance they get home ice. On the other side, Seattle and Florida are looking good enough to make the finals.

Fun fact, the teams in all four major sports who set the record for most regular season wins in a single season in that sport, all failed to win the title. The 2007 New England Patriots, 2016 Golden State Warriors, 2001 Seattle Mariners, and now the 2023 Boston Bruins.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp, that's me then. Haha.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KarateKen wrote:

I thought the Bruins were the clear favorite to win the cup but I was glad when they were out because now if Vegas makes the finals there is a better chance they get home ice. On the other side, Seattle and Florida are looking good enough to make the finals.

Fun fact, the teams in all four major sports who set the record for most regular season wins in a single season in that sport, all failed to win the title. The 2007 New England Patriots, 2016 Golden State Warriors, 2001 Seattle Mariners, and now the 2023 Boston Bruins.

There is a curse associated with winning the President's Trophy -- more often than not, whichever team wins the President's Trophy ends up bowing out in the first or second round of the playoffs. In fact, since the President's Trophy was first awarded in 1986, only eight teams have gone on to win the Stanley Cup. However, 8 teams have lost in the first round, and another 11 teams have lost in the second round. This has become even more prevalent since 2000, in which 15 teams have bowed out in the first or second round, and only 4 teams have went on to win the Cup. The takeaway is that a team that is built to win in the regular season isn't necessarily built to win in the playoffs.

KarateKen
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vegas and Seattle both one win away from advancing. We could see the two youngest franchises competing for a trip to the finals. Hard to imagine that Vegas got to the finals in their first year and Seattle could get there in only their second.

KarateKen
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy 4 overtime game tonight as Florida beat Carolina in game one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 2 of 13
Jump to: