Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:58 am    Post subject: The Official National Hockey League Appreciation Thread Reply with quote

So I have noticed that we have threads on baseball and football, but we don't have one yet on what is (in my humble opinion) the most exciting sport to watch: ice hockey. Unlike football or baseball, hockey's action is (mostly) non-stop. In baseball and football, you have a single play that lasts a few seconds, followed by the teams planning for the next play. In hockey, the play continues unless a goal is scored, the puck goes out of play, the goalie "freezes" the puck, or an infraction of some type occurs. I have seen games where play continued for 5+ minutes non-stop. Oh... and fighting is legal, provided certain conventions are followed. Some say that fighting needs to be removed completely from the game, but it does have the desired effect of dissuading opposing players from dirty play.

Right now is an exciting time in the NHL -- the trade deadline is tomorrow, and teams with players who are going to be free agents after this season need to decide whether they are going to be buyers -- do they plan on making a serious run at the Stanley Cup this year? If so they will look to fill any holes in their lineup with pending UFA's (unrestricted free agents) in exchange for prospects or draft picks. Other teams that know they aren't going to make the playoffs will tend to be sellers -- trading away their unrestricted free agents hoping to get assets back to help them retool for next year. Of course then there are teams that aren't sure what to do, and will stand pat.

Sadly, my team, the St Louis Blues haven't done nearly as well as their roster suggests they should. They traded away all of their (marketable) pending free agents, but at least they did this earlier than most and were able to get some decent return on those trades. However, this also means that the team is now trying to re-establish its identity and has lost the last 6 games. It's sad I know.

Of course, since I moved to Colorado, I can appreciate the Avs. They are actually doing really well right now, and just added a couple of new UFA's so hopefully that will help out somewhat. Until last night, they had won 6 games in a row... and last night's game was a really good one, even if they lost.

So... as I said, the second most exciting time of the NHL season. Of course, the most exciting time is the playoffs, which are just around the corner!
Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan
ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't pay too much attention to hockey until I met my wife back in 2016, as she and her family are big Rangers fans. So, I've adopted the Rangers as my NHL team, and we watch it regularly now. Have gone to a few games, as well, both at MSG and out here in Los Angeles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to follow NHL Hockey a lot back in the 1980's with first the LA Kings then the Dallas Stars, lost interest briefly until the Anaheim Ducks came into the hockey scene. I never really had a favorite player because for the most part I support the team and not an individual player. There are exceptions to that rule of mine, like Mo of the Yankees, Kobe and Shaq of the Lakers, Jordan of the Bulls, Aikman, Irvin, and Smith of the Cowboys, and Valenzuela of the Dodgers.

I have watched the past 3 seasons of the NHL and was excited that the Stars found their way back to the Stanley Cup finals, even though they lost to Tampa. With that win against the Stars, Tampa seemed to find that winning way to win the Cup back-to-back. I must say, I was impressed how Colorado held off the back-to-back champs to secure the Stanley Cup in over 21 years.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Judo, BJJ

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through an NHL phase several years ago too - liked the penguins. I watched it around when Lemieux made his comeback after his illness.

Always enjoyed it though could be hard to follow. Much better now with modern high def tv's!

Been to a couple of the local ice hockey team here in Glasgow's games, which are good fun, though the standard is a lot lower obviously!

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthPenguin wrote:
I went through an NHL phase several years ago too - liked the penguins. I watched it around when Lemieux made his comeback after his illness.

Always enjoyed it though could be hard to follow. Much better now with modern high def tv's!

Been to a couple of the local ice hockey team here in Glasgow's games, which are good fun, though the standard is a lot lower obviously!

I was living in Atlanta when Mario had his comeback (early 2000's). I made a point of going to a Thrashers/Pens game to see Mario at the end of his career. The thing I remember most about that particular game was that there was a period of time when the Pens' penalty box was full (4 guys, maybe), and on the jumbotron they put up a photo of them captioned with "More penguins than at the north pole". It was pretty danged funny. Fun game to watch though. Mario was a LOT of fun to watch.

Now of course the players I find most fun to watch include Nathan MacKinnon and Connor McDavid. There are just some times they will embarrass 2, 3, or 4 opposing players and just single-handedly defeat the entire other team. It's amazing to watch.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just showed how great Gretzky was that Mario was the closest to him really and the distance was still quite vast

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many years ago, while in college, I played in a fantasy hockey league in intramurals. Didn't know a thing about hockey, other than what I caught on Sportscenter highlights. But I did have a good time playing in the league.

DarthPenguin
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on a (slightly) related noet : if you fancy filling a spot on a fantasy baseball league Aurik there is one spot left!

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthPenguin wrote:
on a (slightly) related noet : if you fancy filling a spot on a fantasy baseball league Aurik there is one spot left!

I know so little about baseball these days that my fantasy picks would be an utter joke. I just catch the headlines from time to time but don't really go much deeper than that. If the Cardinals happen to make the playoffs I might follow them then (I was a pretty big Cards fan when I was a kid). I may go to a game or two from time to time, but I don't have enough interest to join a fantasy league. Sorry

KarateKen
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthPenguin wrote:
It just showed how great Gretzky was that Mario was the closest to him really and the distance was still quite vast

Gretzky is, imo, the best ever, though some do argue for Gordie Howe. Sadly, Gretsky's goal record will likely be broken in the 24-25 season. I say sadly because Gretzky was the reason I became a hockey fan.

Favorite player right now though is Morgan Barron. In a game last week, the dude took a skate to the face. Went into the locker room, needed 75 stitches, then returned to the game. I was at the game when it happened. Legendary toughness.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16
Jump to: