Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Rainbow_Warrior
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Now : MMA/luta livre/Thai , before :Kung fu,kick boxing , boxing, amateur wrestling

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: The power of threatening and surprise factor Reply with quote

The criminals or the street litter always say things like : I gonna shoot you , I got a gun.... I will nail you , etc.....
I ve noticed , in much more than %80 of the cases..they are liying.But , we don磘 have X rays to know what is under the coat in the darkness....So I think is all they have....The mistery....and the fact that you don磘 know what they have....
I would say to wait until 创the gun 创 is visible , I generally have no fear in my city cuz I know it very well , and know how those guys operate...But I do when I am foreign or do not belong to a place....
What do you do in the case of a guy saying he is armed ? Hit him in the same moment he finish that phrase ? Do you pay attention to the verbal stuff ?
I do not care if I got punched , kicked...Does not matter... my concern is getting a bullet in my head....Sometimes I wish to put that kind of person in a ring and make them feel pain... I know it is bad....

ps1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chuan Fa, Shotokan, JJJ, BJJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In police academies, they are taught that, on average, an attacker is capable of taking 30 steps toward an officer in the time it takes to draw and fire an accurately aimed shot.

Time is on your side. If you're going to defend yourself physically, do it while his hands are still empty. He can't shoot you if he's busy fighting you off. Make your attack quick, well placed, without mercy, and get the heck out of Dodge. Don't stay around to see if he was telling the truth.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to the nature of this topic, I think I will move it to the new Self Defense forum.

Thanks.

lordtariel
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: (Past)Judo, Yang Family Tai Chi, (Current)Shito-Ryu Karate, Kobudo(Tonfajitsu)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read an article in black belt magazine that said it takes 1.5 seconds to raise a drawn gun to a center line and shoot. As ps1 said, it would probably take longer if the gun was holstered. If they go for a gun you have to take one of two options: attack or run away. I'd opt for the second if I had any choice whatsoever. Odds are the random punk on the street with a gun isn't going to be a marksman and will have a harder time shooting a target that is moving away than one that is close to him. Your best bet, try to avoid being in situations where you get confrontational enough to worry about a fight.

cross
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The criminals or the street litter always say things like : I gonna shoot you , I got a gun.... I will nail you , etc.....
I ve noticed , in much more than %80 of the cases..they are liying.But , we don磘 have X rays to know what is under the coat in the darkness....So I think is all they have....The mistery....and the fact that you don磘 know what they have....

I tend to subscribe to the idea that you should assume anyone being aggressive towards you is armed and has friends. If you prepare yourself for the worst, it can only get better from there.

Quote:
I would say to wait until 创the gun 创 is visible , I generally have no fear in my city cuz I know it very well , and know how those guys operate...But I do when I am foreign or do not belong to a place....
What do you do in the case of a guy saying he is armed ? Hit him in the same moment he finish that phrase ? Do you pay attention to the verbal stuff ?

Paying close attention is very important, so is knowing what to look for. If you can see the guy with his hand in an odd position, or moving his hand towards his pocket etc, dont assume he is doing that to pull out a rose to give to you.

I pay attention to the verbal very closely. The verbal is your chance to not only avoid a fight, but also turn things in your favour if you need to go pre-emptive.

striking_cobra
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: kung ling, kung fu

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting views, all of you, i'd just like to add a thought.
if someone pulls a gun on you and dosn't shoot you imediatly they are probably after something, (cash, your car, ect.) that said, my advice would be to hand over your wallet or your keys and go home without a bullet in you. (i'd favor losing my wallet or keys over my good looks.)

NightOwl
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Working on Judo and BJJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm willing to play a bet with 80% odds in my favor with $10, not my life. Sorry, maybe that is a bit cliche, but that's how I feel. However, if you wanna have some fun, here's what my dad's friend did (mind you, they grew up in Detroit ):

He had what he called a 'mugging wallet'. Inside was $20 and an expired credit card. If anyone ever tried to mug him, he would give them the bum wallet an run! $20 may not seem like much, but criminals in general make less than minimum wage on robbing and stealing from people.

~Theodore Roosevelt

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard of the fake wallet trick before, and I think that it is really a good idea. I have even heard of people putting fake money in it.

lordtariel
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: (Past)Judo, Yang Family Tai Chi, (Current)Shito-Ryu Karate, Kobudo(Tonfajitsu)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
I have heard of the fake wallet trick before, and I think that it is really a good idea. I have even heard of people putting fake money in it.
You could also put those fake promotional credit cards that you get in the mail in there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: