Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> KarateForums.com Articles Archive
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Menjo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Menjo"]
jkeeling wrote:
lapulid2 wrote:
Gyte wrote:
Honestly, I don't like the tiger being a symbol of Shotokan. There is hardly any connection between Shotokan and a tiger. They should have chosen a waving pine tree instead. That would make better sense than a tiger.

If im not mistaken, Kahn or in this case kan means king or ruler. so, Shotokan would translate roughly into "the king among the waving pines". if you were to stumble upon such a creature such as a tiger in a forest while meditating on karate, you would so inspired, i know i would, as to adopt its image as your mascot. The King among the Waving Pines and picture a tiger walking among the pine trees under a moonlit sky...the tiger doesnt seem like such a bad idea now does it?

This is a completely different "kan". The "kan" of "ShotoKAN" means "hall" or, basically, "studio". It basically just implies that this is the place where "Shoto"-type karate is practiced.

The "rolled tiger" is a play on words in japanese. The tiger itself was not meant to be a symbol of Shotokan. It was just an interesting piece of artwork chosen for the cover of a book.

yep, agreed with the first part

NidaninNJ
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Menjo"]
Menjo wrote:
jkeeling wrote:
lapulid2 wrote:
Gyte wrote:
Honestly, I don't like the tiger being a symbol of Shotokan. There is hardly any connection between Shotokan and a tiger. They should have chosen a waving pine tree instead. That would make better sense than a tiger.

If im not mistaken, Kahn or in this case kan means king or ruler. so, Shotokan would translate roughly into "the king among the waving pines". if you were to stumble upon such a creature such as a tiger in a forest while meditating on karate, you would so inspired, i know i would, as to adopt its image as your mascot. The King among the Waving Pines and picture a tiger walking among the pine trees under a moonlit sky...the tiger doesnt seem like such a bad idea now does it?

This is a completely different "kan". The "kan" of "ShotoKAN" means "hall" or, basically, "studio". It basically just implies that this is the place where "Shoto"-type karate is practiced.

The "rolled tiger" is a play on words in japanese. The tiger itself was not meant to be a symbol of Shotokan. It was just an interesting piece of artwork chosen for the cover of a book.

Menjo- What are these comments supposed to mean? Don't you agree with the comment about the rolled tiger artwork? I've heard that one before and I thought it was true. Isn't it?

Menjo
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="NidaninNJ"]
Menjo wrote:
Menjo wrote:
jkeeling wrote:
lapulid2 wrote:
Gyte wrote:

Menjo- What are these comments supposed to mean? Don't you agree with the comment about the rolled tiger artwork? I've heard that one before and I thought it was true. Isn't it?

I just didn't agree with the second idea, I dont disagree either.

jaymac
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: shotokan (nidan)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed the post. I have heard (almost exactly to detail) the first descriptive about Master Funakoshi. I also heard some of the second, but it had been meshed with the first in the presentation that was told to me. I bet the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

Triskel
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please take a look at this:

http://www.onmarkproductions.com/html/ssu-ling.shtml#tiger

It makes sense to me that a Tiger, particularly a White Tiger

Triskel
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I clicked early

The last line should say:

It makes sense to me that a Tiger, particularly a White Tiger had been chosen

todekenkyokai
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: okinawan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aefibird wrote:
Great article, Sai. Well written!
I'd heard of the first possible reason behind the tiger coming to symbolise Shotokan, but not the second. Thanks for sharing.

It was a good article and I have also heard both stories. The first is, I think from Nakayama as he tried to find some da vinci code in shoto's poetry.
The second , Hoan Kosugi and the tora no maki is fact , though, traded for the kata Kushanku I think. Funakoshi later taught Kanku-sho and dai.
" The half Moon ' Is the symbol of the JKA , who ever designed the patch wanted to give a shout out most likely.
Hope some of this helped and really liked your article
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> KarateForums.com Articles Archive All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: