Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:52 pm    Post subject: The Staredown Reply with quote

In professional fights such as MMA and boxing, fighters will stare each other down at the weigh ins, adding to the hype.

Great article breaking the staredown here:
http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/why-fighters-stare-at-each-other-so-intensely-at-the-prebout-weighin

From the article:

Quote:
When former UFC lightweight brawler Tyson Griffin starting competing in 2006, he didn’t really care about staredowns. His staredowns were largely tactical; he would focus on his opponent’s chin to help him visualize where to land his punches. As he took on more and more opponents, however, he started to appreciate the psychological benefits that came from a good old-fashioned hard stare. He’s come to believe that “you get to learn a lot about people just by looking in their eyes.” A quality staredown, Griffin says, involves “two fighters that have trained hard, are hungry, and want what the other person has.” The staredown is an opportunity “to look into this guy’s soul and see who it is I’m fighting.”

Quote:
“You try to be a silverback gorilla,” says Robinson; animals and other carnivores (including humans) will want to run for cover. A quick journey through YouTube will confirm this observation: input “MMA staredown” into the search field, and watch the ****-talking, scowling, and other conspicuous displays of dominance roll.

Do you enjoy watching the staredowns? Any favourite fighters or events?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of the staredowns, or the weigh-in process very much at all. I do see the value in it, and when it comes to stepping into a cage with another trained fighter to get beat on, then I see where this becomes a part of it.

TJ-Jitsu
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Gracie Jiu Jitsu, Muay Thai

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont stare people down in the cage or at weigh ins even. Last guy I fought was actually a pretty nice guy.

Most of the people that are talking smack are trying to convince themselves rather than me. I have no problem with that- it shows weakness on their end. I dont believe what comes out of their mouth especially when they havent even heard of me prior to the fight. Let them think Im afraid, let them think whatever they want- when I grab a hold of them, it all comes down to how they can move... which is usually going to be "not good enough."

On the flipside, you've got people that make a tactical game out of it like Conner McGregor. He sells lots of tickets, and I love him for it. Most the reason he talks so much smack is obviously to make money, but also because he gets his opponents so fired up that they WANT to chase him down and hit him- and McGregor is a very very effective counterpuncher so they play right into his game.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stare down and the like have their purposes in sports, but for me, all of that pageantry is meaningless because I'm a firm believer that the proof is on the floor, but not in the stare down and the like. To me, these things are like watching movie trailers and/or ads while you're waiting for the movie you've just paid for to start.

That's just me.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the stare downs, just not when the two fighters decides to try and knock their teeth out when the other person gets too close.

mazzybear
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Wado Kai

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a fan of the stare down either. It's all just pantomime to me. Sure on the night of the actual fight, in the cage/ring it can have it's uses to gauge your opponents mind set but, the press event is just a nonsense to me. I can see why folk like it but, not my cup of tea.

Mo.

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer a good WWF promo. Not WWE. WWF! (I'm getting old..) I could listen to Roddy Piper, Randy Savage,and the Ultimate Warrior all day. Intimidation only works on scared people anyway, so you might as well yell woo and talk about space mountain.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MasterPain wrote:
I prefer a good WWF promo. Not WWE. WWF! (I'm getting old..) I could listen to Roddy Piper, Randy Savage,and the Ultimate Warrior all day. Intimidation only works on scared people anyway, so you might as well yell woo and talk about space mountain.

Yes...that...very much so!!

ROFL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Pro Fighting Matches and Leagues All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: