Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:16 am    Post subject: The term "defense." Reply with quote

Do you think that the term "defense," or even "self-defense," is the terminology of a victim?

If you think about the conotation of the word(s), I can see where this perception could come from.

As many of you may have seen, I am a proponent of the pre-emptive strike. Many would not associate the pre-emptive strike with the terminology of self-defense; many would consider it an attack, an initiative.

I think that attacking in the initiative, if you can sense the threat, is the best option, when the time comes. If self-defense is deemed reactionary, then do you think the term is also related to the term "victim?"

marie curie
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ko Sutemi Seiei Kan Karate, Kajukenbo, Kodokan Judo, Gracie Barra Jiu-Jitsu, Olympic Tae Kwon Doe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO,

Defending is not when I get punched and then attack- that is not self-defense; that is revenge.

Defending is when I get punched at then attack. When I defend myself I am taking a preventative measure against becoming a victim.

Although, I never really thought of it offense/defense, I think of it as defense/punishment, because I don't attack people unless they attack me... disliking jail and such...

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
-Lao Tzu
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

TigerDude
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a former member of the Department of Defense, I see no problem with the terminology. No victim mindset there!

TraditionalDan
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate-do, RBSD.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that the message to send out to people who want to defend themselves, is to not be afraid to strike pre-emptively if they feel it is neccessary. Also, they need to feel comfortable that the strike will be effective, if not, then they need to train more to develop an effective strike.
Especially if they feel that thier blocking/parrying and reaction skills are not up to defending against a spontaneous attack.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TraditionalDan wrote:
I think that the message to send out to people who want to defend themselves, is to not be afraid to strike pre-emptively if they feel it is neccessary. Also, they need to feel comfortable that the strike will be effective, if not, then they need to train more to develop an effective strike.
Especially if they feel that thier blocking/parrying and reaction skills are not up to defending against a spontaneous attack.

I agree with you here. It is one thing to say you will "block and counter," when in actuality, you may not have the chance to see the attack coming.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marie curie wrote:
IMHO,

Defending is not when I get punched and then attack- that is not self-defense; that is revenge.

Defending is when I get punched at then attack. When I defend myself I am taking a preventative measure against becoming a victim.

Although, I never really thought of it offense/defense, I think of it as defense/punishment, because I don't attack people unless they attack me... disliking jail and such...

Your description makes it sound as if punching after being punched is a bad thing. When you state that it is revenge, it sounds, I don't know, like you don't like it, or agree with it. I am just curious if that is what you feel. Thanks in advance.

marie curie
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Ko Sutemi Seiei Kan Karate, Kajukenbo, Kodokan Judo, Gracie Barra Jiu-Jitsu, Olympic Tae Kwon Doe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think of each contact from the attacker as a separate event, so yes, I'll punch after they hit me, but it is to prevent the next strike, not in retaliation of the previous.

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.
-Lao Tzu
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

mantis.style
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre-emptive striking is still self defence. Defence and victim are not mutually exclusive. The thing to remember is what constitutes self defence according to the law, is more important than any other definition you want to give it. If you don't take the legal definition into account, then you aren't looking at the question of self defence and are just arguing over the semantics of the terms.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an interesting way to put it, mantis.style.

KarateEd
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96,

While defending oneself from an attack does imply that the person is a victim (regardless of whether the perps succeed or not) I don't think the use of the term conditions one to feel like a victim. Additionally, I think with frequent and long term training, defense against an attack is not so much "reactionary" as "actionary." This may be splitting hairs, but it is my belief that "reaction" requires a certain amount of thought, which is what I train to remove. As Takuan Soho states, in his book The Unfettered Mind , thinking sends one's mind to the abiding place, hampering one's ability to perform efficiently in any situation. Also, I agree with mantis.style, a preemptive attack is still a defensive maneuver, albeit a very aggressive one.

Ed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: