Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tatsujin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Ryusei-ha Ryukyu Kempo Karate-jutsu

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:28 pm    Post subject: The Terminology of Kata: Bunkai, Oyo, Henka (and more) Reply with quote

Over the last few days, some folks here have made reference to "bunkai" and, as I have been taught and have learned personally, used the word incorrectly. Since the threads where the term was referenced were on a different topic, I didn't want to jump in an kind of hijack the thread. So, I thought it might be interesting to post about this separately and see what others think.

PLEASE NOTE: This is NOT ment to be a rebuke to the folks I saw using the term. Nor is this specifically ment to be a "correction" to them or anyone else. I just thought this might be a good topic for discussion and debate.

So, if you've been around the Japanese or Okinawan combative arts for a bit, then you have no doubt heard at least the term bunkai. Some may have also heard henka, oyo and others. It is to the point now that you really have to use the term bunkai (that is, the real meaning in Japanese) incorrectly to be understood.

Bunkai (分解) when translated means "disassembly" or "to take apart and analyze". So, if someone were to say that the bunkai for Movement X from Kata A is a defense against a punch to the head using a rising block and then hitting them with a right handed reverse punch to the chest, that would be wrong. I say that because we have to look at the term (and the kata for that matter) in a more holistic way. The disassembly and analysis of a kata is more than what one specific move or series of moves are interpreted to be. Breathing is a part of this. Stance or posture is a part of this. Body shifting or movement in general is a part of this. Visualization is a part of this. All of those things (and more) are a part of kata bunkai. So bunkai, going by the Japanese name, is more of a 10,000 foot view of the kata broken into numerous interrelated pieces and analyzing all of those component parts.

Oyo (応用) is really the term that most folks "should" be using when they refer to bunkai. Oyo translates as "practical application" or "to put to use" . In the context of the combative and life preserving arts (remember that all of these terms are used outside of the martial arts), I prefer the use of "combative application". So, we first learn the kata (the moves). Then, we apply bunkai to what we have learned...we take it apart and then analyze all (or at least some) of the component parts. Think of that process as identifying and learning the principles embedded within the movements. THEN we take that information to learn the actual real life usage of or application of the movements within the kata...the oyo.

Then we have henka (変化) which means "variation" or "change". This is where we learn that the oyo for a move or moves in a kata are not written in stone. Take chudan-uchi-uke (中段内受) as an example. Let's say, for the sake of simplicity, that this move is a means of deflecting an incoming punch and then keeping the opponents arm "in check" (with the implication that another technique like a punch will follow). That is the oyo. But (am I am using the slightly unique version how Goju-ryu "rubs" the arms in how ukekata - 受方 - are done), could that move not also be the removal of a wrist grab and then keeping that arm "in check" or "trapped"? Of couse. One is the oyo and one is a henka. Remember, I am trying to keep the examples here as easy as possible since we are in a written forum.

For me, the above forms what I think is an easy to understand and perform process for the overall learning process when it comes to kata. The steps are:

1. Learn the kata (the gross physical movements and the order they come in).

2. Break down the entire kata and analyze the component parts (bunkai).

3. Once the bunkai has made or has started to make the holistic principles understood and available to you, you then begin to work on how those principles (or the analysis if you prefer) apply in combative situations. This is the oyo.

4. Lastly, you are able to see the combative variations of the move or movements and this is the henka.

In some writings on the interwebs and in print, I have seen the use of the word bunseki used along with the above terms. It is usually the kanji 論分析 that is used and that is technically incorrect. The kanji is 分析 (the wrong kanji is actually pronounced ron bunseki). Bunseki is a "complicated" word (in this context). It translates to "analysis". However, there is a technical component to the word. Just plug the kanji into Google and you'll see what I mean. Used in the context of the combative arts and kata in particular, I would say it as "technical analysis". So, very similar to bunkai, but more "technical" and indepth. Look at it this way...I am teaching you a kata. As we are performing the bunkai (taking apart the component movements), I tell you that a specific move is actually a strike to a vital point (kyusho - 急所) using the third knuckle of the little finger to make contact. Then, you dive into this one component. You learn that the point being struck is actually called Triple Burner or Triple Warmer 12 (TB-12) and is called Heaven's Well (天井). And that is it associated with the heart and is on a fire (火 - hi) meridian (jingmai - 經脈) when viewed from the gogyo (五行) or five elemental or informational phases framework. Further, you learn that (among other things) that this point can be specifically used to weaken the elbow (for a dislocation or break) and the best angle to hit it is 90 degrees. For me and how I understand the word, all of the above is "bunseki". A deep dive technical analysis into the vital point usage. So bunseki...a technical analysis of a subset identified in the bunkai. Your mileage may vary, especially on this one. If you wanted to say that all of the kyusho analysis is just bunkai, I would not split hairs with you and disagree. But, then subject analysis and subset technical analysis if you wish.

Another term that you might see used in various places and mediums is Kakushi (隠し) which means "hidden". BUT...this is not how some people try to use it and market the term (and their use of it). This is not some super secret aspect to a kata that is handed down from sensei to deshi in a low light ceremony. The connotation here is that it is visible, but typically not seen. "Hidden" but not "secret". So, think along the lines of hikite (引き手). This is the off side or pulling hand when performing a punch. Most folks concentrate on the punch (the other hand) and ignore the off hand that is pulling back to the body. It's there all of the time. It can be seen if you are looking for it. But it is "hidden" or "obscured" by the main action or function of a technique. It is not "hidden" in the sense of being a "secret" that no one else knows.

OK, this is a book. I'll stop here. This is how I define and use these terms and the framework I use for both teaching and learning katas.

Agree? Disagree? Thoughts?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for taking the time to lay out these terms. It is very interesting seeing this more in-depth, and quite enlightening.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is, essentially, how I approach these terms, as well. As you mentioned, I'm not one of those who feels it necessary to use the word "bunseki," as "bunkai" works perfectly well. It's incredibly rare that I find the need to differentiate between analysis and detailed analysis, lol.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

tatsujin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wastelander wrote:
This is, essentially, how I approach these terms, as well. As you mentioned, I'm not one of those who feels it necessary to use the word "bunseki," as "bunkai" works perfectly well. It's incredibly rare that I find the need to differentiate between analysis and detailed analysis, lol.

Thanks for the feedback! I was especially interested in your comments on this give your background and what I have been reading as of late.

As to bunseki specifically, I have only really seen that used in a few places. As I said, when you Google the term, most of the responses come back for things in the technology world. Since all of these terms/words can and are used in different fields and situations, they are not always going to fall into place specifically the way we karateka would use them.

Thanks again!

tatsujin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Thank you for taking the time to lay out these terms. It is very interesting seeing this more in-depth, and quite enlightening.

Thanks for the comments! Much appreciated...

Just curious, is this along the lines of what you teach and use or something different?

Thanks again!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tatsujin wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

Just curious, is this along the lines of what you teach and use or something different?

Thanks again!
I don't delve too much into using Japanese terminology, so I avoid all those issues by using English in my classes. I will usually just use the terms "self-defense" or "applications" depending on what we are working on. Unfortunately, we don't delve much into forms applications in our school. We weren't "raised" with it, so to speak. I do try to work on it when I get a chance to do so.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
tatsujin wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:

Thanks again!
I don't delve too much into using Japanese terminology, so I avoid all those issues by using English in my classes. I will usually just use the terms "self-defense" or "applications" depending on what we are working on. Unfortunately, we don't delve much into forms applications in our school. We weren't "raised" with it, so to speak. I do try to work on it when I get a chance to do so.

Solid post!!

Miick 11
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: The Terminology of Kata: Bunkai, Oyo, Henka (and more) Reply with quote

tatsujin wrote:
Over the last few days, some folks here have made reference to "bunkai" and, as I have been taught and have learned personally, used the word incorrectly. Since the threads where the term was referenced were on a different topic, I didn't want to jump in an kind of hijack the thread. So, I thought it might be interesting to post about this separately and see what others think.

PLEASE NOTE: This is NOT ment to be a rebuke to the folks I saw using the term. Nor is this specifically ment to be a "correction" to them or anyone else. I just thought this might be a good topic for discussion and debate.

So, if you've been around the Japanese or Okinawan combative arts for a bit, then you have no doubt heard at least the term bunkai. Some may have also heard henka, oyo and others. It is to the point now that you really have to use the term bunkai (that is, the real meaning in Japanese) incorrectly to be understood.

Bunkai (分解) when translated means "disassembly" or "to take apart and analyze". So, if someone were to say that the bunkai for Movement X from Kata A is a defense against a punch to the head using a rising block and then hitting them with a right handed reverse punch to the chest, that would be wrong. I say that because we have to look at the term (and the kata for that matter) in a more holistic way. The disassembly and analysis of a kata is more than what one specific move or series of moves are interpreted to be. Breathing is a part of this. Stance or posture is a part of this. Body shifting or movement in general is a part of this. Visualization is a part of this. All of those things (and more) are a part of kata bunkai. So bunkai, going by the Japanese name, is more of a 10,000 foot view of the kata broken into numerous interrelated pieces and analyzing all of those component parts.

Oyo (応用) is really the term that most folks "should" be using when they refer to bunkai. Oyo translates as "practical application" or "to put to use" . In the context of the combative and life preserving arts (remember that all of these terms are used outside of the martial arts), I prefer the use of "combative application". So, we first learn the kata (the moves). Then, we apply bunkai to what we have learned...we take it apart and then analyze all (or at least some) of the component parts. Think of that process as identifying and learning the principles embedded within the movements. THEN we take that information to learn the actual real life usage of or application of the movements within the kata...the oyo.

Then we have henka (変化) which means "variation" or "change". This is where we learn that the oyo for a move or moves in a kata are not written in stone. Take chudan-uchi-uke (中段内受) as an example. Let's say, for the sake of simplicity, that this move is a means of deflecting an incoming punch and then keeping the opponents arm "in check" (with the implication that another technique like a punch will follow). That is the oyo. But (am I am using the slightly unique version how Goju-ryu "rubs" the arms in how ukekata - 受方 - are done), could that move not also be the removal of a wrist grab and then keeping that arm "in check" or "trapped"? Of couse. One is the oyo and one is a henka. Remember, I am trying to keep the examples here as easy as possible since we are in a written forum.

For me, the above forms what I think is an easy to understand and perform process for the overall learning process when it comes to kata. The steps are:

1. Learn the kata (the gross physical movements and the order they come in).

2. Break down the entire kata and analyze the component parts (bunkai).

3. Once the bunkai has made or has started to make the holistic principles understood and available to you, you then begin to work on how those principles (or the analysis if you prefer) apply in combative situations. This is the oyo.

4. Lastly, you are able to see the combative variations of the move or movements and this is the henka.

In some writings on the interwebs and in print, I have seen the use of the word bunseki used along with the above terms. It is usually the kanji 論分析 that is used and that is technically incorrect. The kanji is 分析 (the wrong kanji is actually pronounced ron bunseki). Bunseki is a "complicated" word (in this context). It translates to "analysis". However, there is a technical component to the word. Just plug the kanji into Google and you'll see what I mean. Used in the context of the combative arts and kata in particular, I would say it as "technical analysis". So, very similar to bunkai, but more "technical" and indepth. Look at it this way...I am teaching you a kata. As we are performing the bunkai (taking apart the component movements), I tell you that a specific move is actually a strike to a vital point (kyusho - 急所) using the third knuckle of the little finger to make contact. Then, you dive into this one component. You learn that the point being struck is actually called Triple Burner or Triple Warmer 12 (TB-12) and is called Heaven's Well (天井). And that is it associated with the heart and is on a fire (火 - hi) meridian (jingmai - 經脈) when viewed from the gogyo (五行) or five elemental or informational phases framework. Further, you learn that (among other things) that this point can be specifically used to weaken the elbow (for a dislocation or break) and the best angle to hit it is 90 degrees. For me and how I understand the word, all of the above is "bunseki". A deep dive technical analysis into the vital point usage. So bunseki...a technical analysis of a subset identified in the bunkai. Your mileage may vary, especially on this one. If you wanted to say that all of the kyusho analysis is just bunkai, I would not split hairs with you and disagree. But, then subject analysis and subset technical analysis if you wish.

Another term that you might see used in various places and mediums is Kakushi (隠し) which means "hidden". BUT...this is not how some people try to use it and market the term (and their use of it). This is not some super secret aspect to a kata that is handed down from sensei to deshi in a low light ceremony. The connotation here is that it is visible, but typically not seen. "Hidden" but not "secret". So, think along the lines of hikite (引き手). This is the off side or pulling hand when performing a punch. Most folks concentrate on the punch (the other hand) and ignore the off hand that is pulling back to the body. It's there all of the time. It can be seen if you are looking for it. But it is "hidden" or "obscured" by the main action or function of a technique. It is not "hidden" in the sense of being a "secret" that no one else knows.

OK, this is a book. I'll stop here. This is how I define and use these terms and the framework I use for both teaching and learning katas.

Agree? Disagree? Thoughts?

Agree ! ....... Thoughts ? Awesome .

I'd like to know your thoughts on Japanese terms for basic single moves . Here is a good one

' Gedan - barai ' ...... that translates to ' downward block' ......... yeah ?

tatsujin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: The Terminology of Kata: Bunkai, Oyo, Henka (and more) Reply with quote

Miick 11 wrote:

Agree ! ....... Thoughts ? Awesome .

I'd like to know your thoughts on Japanese terms for basic single moves . Here is a good one

' Gedan - barai ' ...... that translates to ' downward block' ......... yeah ?

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

I am assuming (?) that with the wink there that you already know the answer to the question you ask...but gedan barai is an interesting point to discuss. Maybe others might find it interesting...

So, gedan bari (下段払い) translates to lower level (gedan) sweep or sweeping motion (bari). Could it be a "block" of some kind? Sure, I guess it could. But, in going by the translation of the name? Not necessarily.

It's also interesting to note that the same general movement is also called gedan ude uke (下段腕受け or 下段腕受ける - sorry, I am rusty). So, in this case it is a lower level arm receiver. Would folks consider this to be the same as the lower level sweep of gedan barai? I don't know for sure. Certainly, gedan barai could just be a description of the movement itself (which is another can of worms to open). But I don't necessarily think that it is. I could most certainly see two totally distinct categories of techniques here.

As an interesting side note to this from my aikijutsu days and ashi bari (足払い). This is commonly translated as "foot sweep". And, technically (based on the translation) correct. BUT...it can also mean leg sweep. When training with a very high ranking shihan in aikijutsu, he explained to the class to not just get caught up in ashi barai being soley a "foot" sweep as it could be any part of our foot OR leg used to unbalance and/or take down an opponent. It can also be used as an irimi (入り身) or entering technique. He then told us to go play with this...and I have been doing so now for a number of years. Interesting thought though...

tatsujin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:

Thanks for the response!

At the outset, let me say (for the sake of bushido_man96 and anyone else reading this), my comments and questions below are not ment in any way to necessarily disagree with or question what he (bushido_man96) has said. I like to ask questions...because questions (and the resulting answers) helps me better understand. Sometimes, when I question things, people will think I am in disagreement with them or what they have said. Not necessarily always the case...

When you say that you don't delve too much into form or kata applications, does that also mean that you don't do much work with individual katas themselves? Or does that mean that you have katas and you do them, but you don't do much work on the application side?

I ask the question above because it initially reminds me of my Shotokan days. In class, after bowing in and doing our warmups, we would then begin to work on various techniques. Whatever the sensei that night want to do (and based on the skill level of the class). After a bit, we would work on kata. Randomly we would have a bit of bunkai (incorrectly used...it was really oyo). So at this level, there was a little bit of a connection from the kata to the techniques we had been working on. But, the most importance was placed on the performance and look of the kata. Then, on most nights, we would finish up with sparring (free sparring with pads...jiyu-kumite - 自由組手). What was interesting was that when we were doing the free sparring, it really did not at all resemble the techniques we were doing in the basics. The kicks were probably the closest match. But, the punching was much different. Hands held different. The actual punch itself was delivered different...as was the starting point of the punch as virtually everyone was in some form of "Western boxing stance". For a long time, I just really wondered why there were, essentially, three (3) different categories of work and none of them really crossed over much to the other or built upon each other.

So, after my long story, I am just curious to know if you do work kata and don't do much or any work on the applications or oyo from the kata then why do the kata? Again, assuming this is the case (you do kata, but not applications of or from the kata), what value do you find from the kata?

When you refer to not using Japanese terminology, I can understand that from the point of it being confusing to some...especially for beginners. But, do you (as an instructor) find any benefit from it? I find that actually understanding the actual translation of the Japanese names and/or terms helps me to understand what the earlier generations and founders ment as opposed to how it is viewed today (like uke being a block). The Japanese (and Chinese) are well known for "hiding things in plain site". Alot can be "hidden" in the words and names given to things. Additionally, alot can be lost when an interpretation or translation of something is incorrect or only partially correct.

Again, thanks for your comments! As before, I look forward to your response when you get a chance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: