Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: The two consistencies of combat Reply with quote

The two things that I think are the things that can be counted on in combat, and therefore should probably be reflected in training to some extent, are that it is:

1. Dynamic
2. Chaotic

These two things are guaranteed to be a part of combat, no matter what nature it falls into.

Comments?

shujika
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: RyuTe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two very “fine” words, (but a bit “ambiguous/vague”) I think they need to be “defined”, in order to actually have meaning. Either, could be taken “to whatever” extream the user desired.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The two consistencies of combat Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:

. . . and therefore should probably be reflected in training to some extent, are that it is:

1. Dynamic
2. Chaotic

In training, would a heavy emphasis on chaining the attack, whether by hand, foot, or both, be dynamic?

As for chaotic, I'm not an instructor, but wouldn't an instructor, particularly a creative one, have different scenarios--if not surprises--in his/her bag of tricks for the martial arts student, particularly the more advanced ones? I believe there was a posting about practicing knife defenses in low-light conditions--not the usual practice session.

Last edited by joesteph on Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a ton of things that should be considered. These two often get overlooked and should definatly be addressed, both will obviously be present in the real thing.

Dynamic movments really need to be stressed due to the ever changing flow of combat. Drills need to reflect this and make the student react to constantly changing conditions.

The chaotic nature of a fight should also be addressed thru the application of free-form sparring sessions as well as spontaneous attack and defend drills that allow origninality and creativity on the part of the attacker.

Both good points, both often fail to get the attention that they deserve.

cross
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The two things that I think are the things that can be counted on in combat, and therefore should probably be reflected in training to some extent, are that it is:

1. Dynamic
2. Chaotic

Very true. Its funny though, that the training methods of alot of martial arts classes are:

1. Static
2. pre-defined.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shujika wrote:
Two very “fine” words, (but a bit “ambiguous/vague”) I think they need to be “defined”, in order to actually have meaning. Either, could be taken “to whatever” extream the user desired.

I don't think the words here are vague at all. Combat involves at least 2 people moving and with and against each other, thus the dynamics of combat include at least the movement of 2 people against each other. In other words, combat isn't like a one-step.

As for the chaos, that's what combat is. Its random, and can be uncontrolled. The environment and the actions of the other person make it so.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cross wrote:
Quote:

1. Dynamic
2. Chaotic

Very true. Its funny though, that the training methods of alot of martial arts classes are:

1. Static
2. pre-defined.

I agree, cross. I think that too many, my opening thread may sound obvious, but this is the very reason that I wanted to point it out.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: The two consistencies of combat Reply with quote

joesteph wrote:

In training, would a heavy emphasis on chaining the attack, whether by hand, foot, or both, be dynamic?

For dynamic, not only chaining together attacks, but also dealing with the attacks of the other person, who is not going to just let you attack. Many forms of sparring help to achieve this. However, I think it is important to change the rules of sparring from time to time, to get students out of their comfort zones.

joesteph wrote:
As for chaotic, I'm not an instructor, but wouldn't an instructor, particularly a creative one, have different scenarios--if not surprises--in his/her bag of tricks for the martial arts student, particularly the more advanced ones? I believe there was a posting about practicing knife defenses in low-light conditions--not the usual practice session.

Yes, I think that scenarios are a great way to train. The low-lighting knife work is a good idea, too. Also, just having someone put a weapon on the ground while two are sparring is a great way to add spice to the chaos.

FitOrDie!
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cross wrote:
Quote:

1. Dynamic
2. Chaotic

1. Static
2. pre-defined.

Absolutely right, and absolutely right! How amusing. This is why crossfit is my physical fitness program- constantly varied functional movement at high intensity... And I train self defense the same way. You need the mentality (aggressiveness) to do what it takes (destroy your opponent before he destroys you) without hesitation or distraction from trivial matters like fear or pain.

You never really know what's around the next corner.

Victory is reserved for those willing to pay its price.
-Sun Tzu
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: