Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health, Training and Fitness
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.
Author Message

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

Joined: 28 Feb 2016
Posts: 2412


PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kenisis machine

Ground and pound
https://youtu.be/dhkcBVdOtWM

Wrestling
https://youtu.be/RaSPHcrKtAs

What I like the most about this cable machine, is that it can be used in all pulling and pushing motions, including cross overs or curved circular motions also in all directions.

Or using one or two arms separately, pulling and pushing or both hands pulling on the same grip.

With adjustable weight variations that can be increased or reduced very quickly.

Performing exercises on the machine when laying down, standing or sitting on a physio ball or bench; wobble boards also.

Squatting, standing, twisting, bending or leaning with resistance, doing rowing or reaching motions " functional training"

It easy to see the benefits for punching, as there are two horizontal over head grips, two lower grips and two vertical to train with; that can be used while in stances or moving, or just focusing on specific muscles.

Using the machine for endurance punching purposes works well also, as tired arms when punching n a bout, tends to lower them.

No need for a spotter, no set up or preparing to do, except the weight adjustment pins, easy to use, from start till finish.

Can focus on core exercises, also while standing or laying flat.

I see that this machine has many benefits, when challenging the body, vigorously or gently, as another option to make proper use of, that can be used together with many other types of exercises, with this machine however, everything is relatively very safe.

Regarding strength

According to Spartan training, gymnastic type agility, endurance and irregularities (as not living a life of routine) were more important than strength and athleticism.

As athletes needed strict diets and proper rest periods, unlike the Spartan soldier that lack these things, as warrior were fierce, unyielding and mentally and physically resilient.
https://youtu.be/jSk5pOvCa9I
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 31 Mar 2006
Posts: 27927
Location: Hays, KS
Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yet, still not as effective in building overall strength as squatting, pressing, and deadlifting.

A lot of what you mention falls either into the category of what I would view as practice, or just as exercise, and not training.

Exercise is done for how it makes you feel today; the "pump" or "burn" if you will. Training is a systematic approach in which current capacity is assessed and a plan is made to improve that capacity over a period of time. In weight training and in other matters, this is accomplished through programming. Knowing what was done yesterday effects how we program the next workout, and the workout after that, and the workouts down the road.

Most of the people who go to the gym to "get a workout in" more often than not are only exercising, and not truly training. And that's ok, if that's what they want to do. Doing something is better than doing nothing.
_________________
www.haysgym.com
http://www.sunyis.com/
www.aikidoofnorthwestkansas.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

Joined: 28 Feb 2016
Posts: 2412


PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
And yet, still not as effective in building overall strength as squatting, pressing, and deadlifting.

A lot of what you mention falls either into the category of what I would view as practice, or just as exercise, and not training.

Exercise is done for how it makes you feel today; the "pump" or "burn" if you will. Training is a systematic approach in which current capacity is assessed and a plan is made to improve that capacity over a period of time. In weight training and in other matters, this is accomplished through programming. Knowing what was done yesterday effects how we program the next workout, and the workout after that, and the workouts down the road.

Most of the people who go to the gym to "get a workout in" more often than not are only exercising, and not truly training. And that's ok, if that's what they want to do. Doing something is better than doing nothing.
Perhaps if I had not had four heart attacks, then I would most likely do it your way, however as second rate as my training might be or seem to you, I am very happy with my progress thus far.

From cardiac rehab till now,
even the Greek Gods would not dare say anything other than, "Keep doing what you are doing"
LOL

For me it is not about being the best but rather trying one's best

More sweat when training less blood in battle
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 31 Mar 2006
Posts: 27927
Location: Hays, KS
Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though you've had four heart attacks, you could probably still do it. But, it's a matter of wanting to, and your posts lead me to believe that you do not.
_________________
www.haysgym.com
http://www.sunyis.com/
www.aikidoofnorthwestkansas.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

Joined: 28 Feb 2016
Posts: 2412


PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Even though you've had four heart attacks, you could probably still do it. But, it's a matter of wanting to, and your posts lead me to believe that you do not.
At the moment my strength training is focused on monkey bars, a kenisis cable machine, supplemented with (at the moment sitting around 20kilos working my way up to 36kilo) dumbells, hand stands and push up; among other things, such as squats just not with heavy weights 16hrs per week.

Supplemented with an additional 10hrs boxing (including agility skills, focus striking, ballistic punching and hand conditioning) also 10hrs kicking and stretching also within the week.

Plyometric exercises is something which needs attention however I am very boxer agile.

I fully understand that an Olympic weight lifting programme is suitedable for maists, it however doesn't grab my attention as much as Callesstetics;

Also comprehending that combat sports needs a good weights programme, however I am plenty strong enough to fight martial art wise, where I probably give up strength for flexibility; which is another issue.

My martial arts journey is inseparable from JKD where my physique is similar to Bruce Lee than it is to Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Despite seemingly looking (myself to be) deluded in the area of strength and not looking like a Hollywood Spartan Warrior, I'm happy enough to not look like a cartoon Potato Couch Armchair Warrior LOL
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 23 Feb 2008
Posts: 14607
Location: Houston, TX
Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
Even though you've had four heart attacks, you could probably still do it. But, it's a matter of wanting to, and your posts lead me to believe that you do not.
At the moment my strength training is focused on monkey bars, a kenisis cable machine, supplemented with (at the moment sitting around 20kilos working my way up to 36kilo) dumbells, hand stands and push up; among other things, such as squats just not with heavy weights 16hrs per week.

Supplemented with an additional 10hrs boxing (including agility skills, focus striking, ballistic punching and hand conditioning) also 10hrs kicking and stretching also within the week.

Plyometric exercises is something which needs attention however I am very boxer agile.

I fully understand that an Olympic weight lifting programme is suitedable for maists, it however doesn't grab my attention as much as Callesstetics;

Also comprehending that combat sports needs a good weights programme, however I am plenty strong enough to fight martial art wise, where I probably give up strength for flexibility; which is another issue.

My martial arts journey is inseparable from JKD where my physique is similar to Bruce Lee than it is to Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Despite seemingly looking (myself to be) deluded in the area of strength and not looking like a Hollywood Spartan Warrior, I'm happy enough to not look like a cartoon Potato Couch Armchair Warrior LOL

Not that it's any of my business...with you having had 4 heart attacks, what does your PCP and/or Cardiologist suggest to you as far as exercise limitations?? I mean, what you've described in your first paragraph above,as to what it is that you do, seems a tad tasking, but that's me.

More than likely, if your PCP and/or Cardiologist is anything like mine, they both tell me "Listen to your body while you exercise; do what you can tolerate, and if you push yourself, take extra care!!" I hate their advise because I'm asking them to help me set up an exercise program so that I DO NOT task myself overly too much.

I've let them read over my exercise journal, but even after then, they give my their standard reply. I always push myself because that's born within me to do so, and I'm dumb enough to push and push and push.




_________________
**Proof is on the floor!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

Joined: 28 Feb 2016
Posts: 2412


PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Alan Armstrong wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
Even though you've had four heart attacks, you could probably still do it. But, it's a matter of wanting to, and your posts lead me to believe that you do not.
At the moment my strength training is focused on monkey bars, a kenisis cable machine, supplemented with (at the moment sitting around 20kilos working my way up to 36kilo) dumbells, hand stands and push up; among other things, such as squats just not with heavy weights 16hrs per week.

Supplemented with an additional 10hrs boxing (including agility skills, focus striking, ballistic punching and hand conditioning) also 10hrs kicking and stretching also within the week.

Plyometric exercises is something which needs attention however I am very boxer agile.

I fully understand that an Olympic weight lifting programme is suitedable for maists, it however doesn't grab my attention as much as Callesstetics;

Also comprehending that combat sports needs a good weights programme, however I am plenty strong enough to fight martial art wise, where I probably give up strength for flexibility; which is another issue.

My martial arts journey is inseparable from JKD where my physique is similar to Bruce Lee than it is to Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Despite seemingly looking (myself to be) deluded in the area of strength and not looking like a Hollywood Spartan Warrior, I'm happy enough to not look like a cartoon Potato Couch Armchair Warrior LOL

Not that it's any of my business...with you having had 4 heart attacks, what does your PCP and/or Cardiologist suggest to you as far as exercise limitations?? I mean, what you've described in your first paragraph above,as to what it is that you do, seems a tad tasking, but that's me.

More than likely, if your PCP and/or Cardiologist is anything like mine, they both tell me "Listen to your body while you exercise; do what you can tolerate, and if you push yourself, take extra care!!" I hate their advise because I'm asking them to help me set up an exercise program so that I DO NOT task myself overly too much.

I've let them read over my exercise journal, but even after then, they give my their standard reply. I always push myself because that's born within me to do so, and I'm dumb enough to push and push and push.



Thanks for asking sensei8.

My cardiologist is more concerned about me taking the prescription medication and that I exercise regularly, no exercise limitations, as long as there is no pain or complications.

My PG prescribes me to walk 7 kilometres a day.

The reason for so many heart attacks all within a four month period, started due to inadequate treatment, till finally I hit it lucky with a surgical team two males doctors from India and one female from Canada.

These three doctors stole me away from a another surgeon, luckily enough for me.

My first doctors that delt with my heart condition initially, were seemingly heartless, it was a nightmare to be under their care.

This was happening about 15 years ago.

As for today;
I listen to my body, if I get a slight pain in my heart due to holding too much weight, I instantly back off, this doesn't happen very oftern but oftern enough to remind me to take it a little easier for the rest of the day.

For medication:
One aspirin a day thins my blood just enough to keep it flowing.
One pill to lower my cholesterol level.
One pill for my heart to help keep my blood pressure regulated.
One pill for thyroid gland to keep it at a regular size.

I had pneumonia with my first heart attack, finally when out of hospital due to being treated properly, it was cardiac rehabilitation, as was incredibly weak from the ordeal.

Not able to do one push up and going for a short walk was exhausting, this is why I am very enthusiastic today about exercises and training routines or sessions.

It had taken years to get some normal strength back, till today I am in the gym twice a day for about 7hrs also sometimes for a few hrs on Saturday and Sunday, behaving like a 45 year old and loving it.

I teach a little boxing in the gym and hold one MA class a week for 3hrs, no charge!

People are shocked at what I can do for my age, I get some incredible compliments, from people younger than myself, that I cannot deny are very encouraging and I appreciate them humbly.
knowing that being so close to death and getting myself back to health with a second chance, these compliments can bring tears of joy to my eyes.

Enough about me how are you sensei8?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 31 Mar 2006
Posts: 27927
Location: Hays, KS
Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure who said anything about looking like Arnold Schwarzenegger, nor about MAists doing an Olympic weight training program, but it wasn't mentioned here.

I would also add that "going to the gym" is not synonymous with "strength training."
_________________
www.haysgym.com
http://www.sunyis.com/
www.aikidoofnorthwestkansas.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

Joined: 28 Feb 2016
Posts: 2412


PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also add that "going to the gym" is not synonymous with "strength training." But it is synonymous with health and fitness benefits.

Actually to be more specific I am in the "Staying alive training" programme.

Being advised by the cardiologist as to not exceed any thing over my own weight, as this makes the heart muscle thicker and puts unnecessary strain and stress on it.

Yes heavy weights builds bigger muscles, however as not getting any younger preferably liking agility and flexibility over my piers that are for the most part from my perspective stiff, tight and rigid.

If combat was based on strength alone, then there wouldn't be a need to fight each other, as there are machines available to measure these types of qualities.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Joined: 31 Mar 2006
Posts: 27927
Location: Hays, KS
Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great that you mention the "staying alive" training program, as there is more and more evidence showing that strength training is very important for "the athlete of aging."

It's interesting to me that your cardiologist recommends not to lift anything over your own weight...that means you better not ever gain any weight, or that it's ok only if you gain weight. Either way, I'd first ask what your doctor actually knows about strength training, or if he/she has ever done actual strength training (by which I do not mean "just going to the gym").

A great book, written by Dr. Jonathon Sullivan and Andy Baker, titled The Barbell Prescription is a great resource for the how's, why's, and benefits of strength training for the older population, those in their 40's, 50's, and beyond. It is quite safe and quite beneficial to the older population to strength train. This book fleshes it all out, from how strength training effects the body in more ways than just building muscle, to safe and effective programming training sessions.

See the book here: https://www.amazon.com/Barbell-Prescription-Strength-Training-After/dp/0982522770/ref=sr_1_3?crid=RB2GR2WXXOTB&keywords=the+barbell+prescription+strength+training+after+40&qid=1573079253&sprefix=The+Barbell+Pre%2Caps%2C170&sr=8-3

I know you enjoy YouTube, and fortunately, Dr. Sullivan has a channel, too. Give it a look: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwNjgwAS3wBBxcwouQz5J9w
_________________
www.haysgym.com
http://www.sunyis.com/
www.aikidoofnorthwestkansas.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health, Training and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


< Advertising - Contact - Disclosure Policy - Staff - User Guidelines >