Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the opportunity to study Shotokan for about 2 years before returning to the art of Kenpo/Kempo. During my time in Shotokan I noticed a lack of emphasis on angled attacks and defense. Are there reasons for this other than the quickest point from A to B is a straight line? Are angles of attack and defense tought at the higher ranks, or is it something that eventually gets incorporated as you progress in your training? Thanks for your input.

SeiDoRyu
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by angled blocks ?

In the style i do there is alot of emphasis on evading or deflecting the opponent and then attacking from the side and we practice alot of blocks that are for attacks from behind / side.

Not sure if thats what you meant.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I recalled during my time in Shotokan, we did not do much evading or deflecting. It was pretty much a matter of block and counter, and for the most part every movement was done pretty much in a linear fashion.

I guess the angles I was referring to was more in reference to footwork. Moving more in a 45* manner and then using attacks or defenses that complimented that angle.

I'm just curious to know if there are other traditional karate styles that uses or incorporates the use of angles more so than others. Since my background in Japanese/Okinawan karate is limited to Shotokan, I thought I'd ask.

Many of the folks I met in the Shotokan dojo were/are very good at what they do, but even they had limited use of angles in their footwork. Thanks for the input!

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From our earliest days in training we were taught step to the angle to block then counter attack.

Gloi
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: 1st dan Shotokan, 1st kup TKD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go to two differnt Shotokan dojos. At one all the blocks seem to be taught in a linear manner but at the other they put a lot of emphasis on moving to the side and using different blocks with different footwork. They also do more work on evading and also using the blocks as an attack technique.

SeiDoRyu
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As saifightMS said, in the okinawan style i do we are taught right from the start to step or flick ourselves to 45* while blocking and then counter from that angle.
If done properly the block is just a precaution because you evade the strike anyway.

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: blue-belt taekwondo/green belt Yoshukai

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take Yoshu-kai Karate and we emphasy stepping to the side at a 45 degree angle alot. Its part of our footwork. Blocks are done in a circular motion as in the downward, inner and outer side blocks.

Mike
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at a relatively early stage of my training - bluebelt (though with all the styles and varying teaching levels out there that doesn't mean much) but already I've started learning a series of drills where Tai Sabaki (evasion) is used. The mail drill I'm thinking of is quite straightforward -- the kogeki (attacker) attacks in a straight line with prearranged attacks, and the uki (defender) then blocks directly first of all, and then steps 45 degrees away for the following two moves. This is done in zenkutsu dachi, nekoashi dachi and then sanchin dachi (I dare say there are more versions which I've not yet seen).

Hope this is some help. (Oh, incase you're interested I'm studying Kusano Ha ****oryu. Its funky

Mike
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn - can't beleive that. I just checked my posting and its blanked out the beginning of the name of my karate style - s.h.i.t.o.r.y.u. - Honestly....!

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2002 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bring in shifting and other deflection attacks and blocks in about half way though our belt system.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: