Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2001 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHOA!! PEOPLE PEOPLE PEOPLE.... whoa...

Calm down! I didn't mean to upset anyone!

As for, i think it was egarlock or someone who said they used the 3 blocks in a kata and sparring, so therefore the kata helped them: How many times did u drill that up and down the mats? How many one step sparring did you do against a REAL person using those techniques? I simply CANNOT agree with you that kata helps fighting in anyway. I respect your views, and i know that we are all doing ARTS but i simply cannot agree.
For the time that kata takes up it would be much better to spar or do drills with a partner to learn street defense. Not everyone wants street defense, it's all cool people.
I have done very few kata in my years of training and i have no trouble, well, maybe some trouble, taking on multiple opponants in a REAL STREET SITUATION! Kumite in the dojo is no problem either. I find that people who do kata more than kumite ALWAYS ALWAYS have a low guard and i kick them in the head. They try some fancy move they learned in their kata and i kick them in the head. They stop and think what's wrong and i kick them in the head.... get my point?
Kata is very good for discipline, and i mean no disrespect, and i respect the views of Kyoshi Williams. I can only say that everyone should crosstrain, and if they don't think they should then they might want to spar against a thaiboxer/jujutsuist.

Please people, don't become upset at my views, it is from a great deal of crosstraining that i have come to my opinion. Both in kata and non kata arts.

Respects,
Angus

This Message was edited by: Angus on Jun 25, 2001 6:41pm

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2001 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The people you have faught who you have kicked in the head, are losing the simplicity of the basics. They have been in awe of the superb techniques because they look cool. You should think that any technique you could do, could be defeated with basics.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2001 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite right,

People do kata and don't realise what they are meant to be doing... They learn the kata without learning what to do if some other move is pulled on them... Things just don't work that way people...

I'm not a traditionalist, sorry, i just can't see the usefulness of kata. Yes, i like to do things and learn them quickly. I just spent and hour on shadow boxing, drilling my moves and adapting to them, and thinking what might happen if this or that stirke was used.

Ta!
Angus

egarlock
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2001 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's getting busy is here so I'm going to bow out and be silent now, but remember:
You like pepsi, I like coke.
If you are studying a style/system and you don't agree with something or don't like it, good. Question, observe, learn. Now, find out why it's in the system...then decide what's your personal take going to be.

G'night

Taesujutsudrw
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2001 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do cross train...that is why I hold BB ranks in seven hard style. Wing Chun does not have rank.

I have fought Thai Boxers...so what. Like I said before anyone can be beat.

If you choose not to do kata..no biggy, but It would teach you may things...especially about your true self.

Tahis boxing is not the only system, or even the best...no system is. What is best is what wourks for those who study their particular style.

One day you will learn, that martail arts has no place for the ego.

BTW..I have been in street fights..and I do many kata..both empty and and weapons,so I guess that proves that wrong.

One last thing...do not show disrespect for something you truly may not know about. Many poeple will say something about a subject that they do not have the experience in to judge.

Peace,
Tae

Http://martial-artist.org
Homeof the International Martial Arts Association. :wink:

This Message was edited by: Taesujutsudrw on Jun 25, 2001 10:43pm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2001 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i will bow out of my own conversation now too, as i am being misunderstood. Sorry peoples.

Angus

ts757
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2001 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Backup's here Tobias, if a little late, GCSEs 'n' all. Anyways, I use kata as a mental disiplin. I was once told that I am not envisioning my opponent, so I spent ages figuring out the application of each kata, and focusing in on how my opponent would reactact to each technique. It has enhanced my concentration spa..... oooh a pigeon! I never think about a real street situation, as I have a backup plan for that. Remember, he who fights and runs is wasting valuable running time with all that fighting... Also remember, the best form of defense is attack, and the best form of attack is one that doesnt actually involve you.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2001 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, i don't run..... I find running tedious if i could just as easily beat the guy up... Maybe it's my background, but i'd rather fight than run..

Angus

Taesujutsudrw
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2001 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL,
The best offense is a good defense.

I have proved that..more than once...in the street.

If your opponent has to come to you..he will make the mistakes. On the other had..the best defense is also a good offense. Therefore forams are the best way to learn this.

Just becuase you may not understnad the true purpose of forms..doen't mean they should be thrown away.

Peace,
tae

"Before destruction one's heart is haughty, but humility goes before honor."
Proverbs 18:12
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2001 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taesujutsu is right. Unless he has the advantages of the elements. Higher elevation, you are on a slope, your in a corner, etc. To read more on this, read The Art of War. It helped my combat and my way of thinking.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8
Jump to: