Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lacking abilities of many MAist lies with the CI; the blame is the CI, and the CI alone.

How??

It's true that the CI can't, and shouldn't, hold the hands of their student body to ensure that practicing is done daily, and so on and so forth. The student body must take ownership and accountability of their MA journey.

Nonetheless, the CI allows the lackadaisical attitude and efforts on the floor to permeate in and through the dojo as though quality no longer matters across the board. CI's that watch the bottom line of a P&L more that they watch over their student body's progress have no business running a lemonade stand, let alone a school of the MA.

The furthest one has to look at the reason why the student body is deplorable is no further than the CI!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
The lacking abilities of many MAist lies with the CI; the blame is the CI, and the CI alone.

How??

It's true that the CI can't, and shouldn't, hold the hands of their student body to ensure that practicing is done daily, and so on and so forth. The student body must take ownership and accountability of their MA journey.

Nonetheless, the CI allows the lackadaisical attitude and efforts on the floor to permeate in and through the dojo as though quality no longer matters across the board. CI's that watch the bottom line of a P&L more that they watch over their student body's progress have no business running a lemonade stand, let alone a school of the MA.

The furthest one has to look at the reason why the student body is deplorable is no further than the CI!!

I don't think you are wrong here, Bob, but a lot of it comes down to what the CI has actually been taught originally, and what they have the knowledge to pass on.

You and I had that great opportunity to train together, and show me how to work on applications involved with forms/hyungs/katas in ways that I had only read about. Without having regular exposure to training like that, its tough for me to try to pass it along to students that I teach, especially being in the position of not being a CI, and needing to follow the protocol for our classes and curriculum as they are laid out by my instructor, and his instructor, our GM.

I've tried to help myself out with this by picking up various books on applications, and learning the various ways to train them, but with not really any valid training partners to focus them on, its tough.

I guess what I'm getting at is that a bunch of us are limited by what our schools teach and how they teach it, or how our style has evolved over time. I think a lot of good things have come out of the evolution of TKD, but a lot of good things got set aside in the process.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you Brian!! I'm more referring to CI's WHO WERE and ARE exposed to Bunkai and the like on a daily basis, but had no the minimum of an idea what they were taught and what they're teaching whatsoever!!

For those who've not the fortunate ability to be exposed to it on a daily basis, and have to depend on chance encounters like you and I had, and through other media's to get that grasp of Bunkai and the like. It's a tough situation, this is for sure!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: