Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:12 am    Post subject: Theory vs Practice Reply with quote

Do you have the balance between theory and practice regarding your martial art journey?

Is balance between theory and practice necessary?

Here is some food for thought on this very subject.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LSdZ_mgQqQY

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that the balance between theory and practice must be sought after with the similar diligence that a big cat in the wild is towards its prey; with much greater patience.

Theory doesn't come without practice, and practice doesn't come without theory.

Practice without theory destroys the effectiveness of the proposed theory. In return, theory without practice is akin to having a very long conversation with oneself; fruitless.

Necessary?? Let me answer with a question of my own...To sustain life, is the breathing of air necessary??

Everything must have an effective starting point in which research can be that proponent of that supposed theory. Is my MA effective enough to protect myself??

To find the answer to that question, I believe that live and resistant practice of theory but be profound enough to reach a valid answer.

Why practice?? Why theory??

The summation of "why", is to the summation of "because"!!

I believe that the necessary balance exists in my MA journey; I'm complete in my MA totality.

Imho!!

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed Sensei8.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theory and practice do need to be tested realistically, not all teaching is done this way.

Reality is that theory and practice can have some serious consequences for students, into believing in none effect theories and practices.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vytRexjWgHY

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
Theory and practice do need to be tested realistically, not all teaching is done this way.

Reality is that theory and practice can have some serious consequences for students, into believing in none effect theories and practices.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vytRexjWgHY

Theory must be tested and proven. It must be put into practice.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much martial arts is not "realistically" tested with theories and practices?

Alot!

Also, how many martial arts use theorie and practice?

All!

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately many schools today do not bring realism into the Dojo and students are expected to just accept what is taught.

Any application or technique must be applied against an uncooperative opponent. It must be tested as to it's viability for that student.

Just because a technique or an application works for one student does not mean that it will work for another. Conversely - just because the application or technique works on one opponent does not mean that it will work on another.

Reality is fights don't take on the cooperative partner drills seen in class. One must test them to prove or disprove it's effectiveness.

Simply put - everything looks great and works at slow speed with a compliant partner.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. The trick is closing the gap from compliant drilling to more realistic scenario type training without getting someone hurt. Over the years, sparring has been the closest to this, but then you bring in the rule sets, which adds another twist to the argument that the rules won't always apply.

Its a tough line to walk as an instructor.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with Kumite is that in 90% or more of schools, the student is taught the arts applications and techniques but then as soon as the face off everything they have been taught goes out the window and it turns into a kickboxing/boxing match.

Why teach the applications and techniques if your never going to use them. How your practice is how you will fight.

Our fist step is compliant two person drills were they have set guidelines to adhere to. This allows them to learn the applications and build muscle memory and learn the mechanics. They are put up against smaller/taller/stronger/faster opponents so they can learn to adapt.

The second step is also a two person drill but the attacker is able to very speed and power, faint, and try to strike the defender and try to thwart the defenders attempt to apply their defense and counter. They must maintain the same guidelines (attacker has specified attacks and defender has specified defense and counters) the difference is the attacker is non-compliant. Again they are put up against different opponents.

The third step is after the students have learned 30 or so applications, they practice a two person drill similar to Kumite. The attacker is allowed to attack with any of the 30 or so attacks and can mix them up and use whatever tricks they can come up with as long as they adhere to the confines of the attacks and defense/counters. The defender now has to deal with a full speed attack without knowing what attack will come. As the student progresses the attacks and applications are added to. By the time they are ready to test for Shodan they will have learned all of the applications to their grade (singular, sequential, grouped) to include founders and what is called practical applications now days and are able to use them with efficiency. At this stage the student has identified what works for them and what doesn't and has practiced and proofed these applications hundreds or thousands of times.

The 4th step is where anything goes and the defender must adapt what they know to new scenarios. There is no confines or set attacks. This is full speed full contact. This is where the training and hours/days/weeks/months/years of practicing pay off and they are able to create in motion and find and adapt a defense and counter to the attack. Essentially adapting the applications they know to the attack to defeat the opponent. Again they are put up against different opponents smaller/larger/shorter/taller/faster/stronger so they can learn how to deal with and adapt to change.

This sequence is done over and over through the years with each new application or technique learned to proof test it's efficiency and viability for the student. Each Kata contains applications and as they progress in grade they also progress in the amount of applications they learn and apply/test. It seems like a never ending lesson. When you mix in the students understanding of the postures and they begin to adapt new applications (practical applications) it is a life time study. However all are proof tested as to their viability and effectiveness. Through this the student develops and learns to fight via the art. Not what they brought off the streets on the first day.

We do not really use Kumite in terms of modern sparring. I see no reason to learn an art if once I learn it I still fight the way I did before I started learning. If your going to learn the art you should use what you have learned and learn to apply it. Reverting back to a few strikes and kicks like you were back on the streets is a waste of all the time you have invested into learning the art.

I can't tell you how many students I have accepted over the years from other arts that were graded at Yudansha and could barely put together more than a few combinations. They had a few strikes and a few kicks and that is what they relied on to fight. They certainly did look the part when it came to Kata, they knew their old arts techniques (Kihon), had knowledge of the art, understood the reason for the techniques but didn't ever use them when it came to Kumite. In fact it was foreign to them that they would even try to use them as they felt that they were not used for fighting but just something they learned for grade. Well right back to white belt to start over and learn our way.

Realism must be a part of training. Obviously safety and trying to prevent injuries is paramount these days but a student must feel pressured , must have contact and must at least prove to themselves that an application/technique works for them. If all you do is practice with compliant partners who let you do what you want every time you are learning but you're not proving that they are viable or that you can even use them if you needed too.

As a student of the art I want to know that if I need to use something I've learned it will work in a real life situation. I can't do that with compliant partners. Or maybe that is that military style training I'm reverting back too. I've been told this many times so maybe it's true but that's OK because I believe it's the ONLY way to train and teach for me and my students.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matsushinshii, that's an excellent post, and that's the way that applications should be trained, on an escalating scale to improve reactions to stimuli, essentially.

How do you make it work in the full contact mode without anyone getting hurt?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: