Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
There are quite a few people training in kobudo or other weapons systems who have or use two of each weapon. They have a standard version and training version which is heavier.

The idea of using a heavier version of a weapon to practise is shared by many weapons practicionners since very early in history. The idea is that a heavier weapon trains and strengthens the wielder’s body so that handling the “standard” weapon becomes easier. Full speed and power with the standard weapon and slower technique concentration work with the heavy version.

Precisely! Exactly right.

Struggling_Mudansha
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harlan wrote:
Never heard of sai referred to as 'light vs heavy'. Which version would be 'light'?

http://www.shureidousa.com/kobudo/sai.html

Lightweight sai are only listed in their catalog.

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
There are quite a few people training in kobudo or other weapons systems who have or use two of each weapon. They have a standard version and training version which is heavier.

The idea of using a heavier version of a weapon to practise is shared by many weapons practicionners since very early in history. The idea is that a heavier weapon trains and strengthens the wielder’s body so that handling the “standard” weapon becomes easier. Full speed and power with the standard weapon and slower technique concentration work with the heavy version.

Wish I had that luxury. Can't really afford to have two sets of each weapon considering that our dojo practices everything except the 3 section staff. I try to find weapons that are of medium weight because weapons that are too light don't feel like weapons and ones that are too heavy just slow me down. I like weapons that fall in between the two.

I think I managed to find the only image online of "lightweight" Shureido sai:

A lot of the bulk seems to be shaven off which would definitely save on the weight, but I'm not sure how durable they would be for say a bo/sai kumite.

Struggling_Mudansha
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think I may have found another image of thin Shureido sai.

The sai on the right appears to be their small sai, but the monouchi is round and the tsukagashira is smaller. A lot of the bulk seems to have been shaven off the moto and yoko as well.

Very interesting.

strangepair03
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Okinawan Shorinji Ryu Karate-Do

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would forget Shureido sai, I was there last year and they had zero in stock and they told me it would be a very long time before they are available. I have a pair of chrome shureido and a pair of Carbone sai. They are fantastic

Struggling_Mudansha
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strangepair03 wrote:
I would forget Shureido sai, I was there last year and they had zero in stock and they told me it would be a very long time before they are available. I have a pair of chrome shureido and a pair of Carbone sai. They are fantastic

Can't really see myself giving up on Shureido sai. Every time I get to try a pair they're always the best, hands down. The Energy Sai of Agena are nice, but they weigh a metric ton and don't offer much in the way of options (octagonal monouchi, different tsukagashira, different weights, etc.) Not to mention they're made to order and priced very steep.

I called the Shureido store in Naha, Okinawa and the English speaking representative said they're aiming to get natural sai in on the first quarter of this year and stainless steel later on, possibly December or early 2019. Might not be entirely true but Shureido has NOT said they've stopped making metal weapons, so they've got to produce more sai eventually. I've got 18.5 inch thin natural sai on back order from the USA store and I'll keep using my standard Shureido sai until then.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2019????

Wow that is backed up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: