Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A “spear hand” aimed at the face of throat does not necessarily hit its target to be effective if one considers it as part of a strategy. Techniques are rarely meant to be used in isolation without any others preceding or following it.

For instance, a spear hand to the eye/throat will cause a flinch or staggering reaction to avoid it. Taking advantage of this, the same hand can be dropped quickly to attack the groin or other lower body targets.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I practice spear-hand on my wife. "Spear-hand-butt."

It usually gets me yelled at.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spear hand is an interesting one. I think it's pretty pointless for most people.

In the utter chaos of real combat, where everything is at stake, and no refund is going to jump in to save you if you lose, I think it would take a special dose of mental resolve to decide to use spear hand, and attempt to get its very limited range of targets, knowing that if you miss your target and hit an inch either side, there's a high chance you'll break or sprain your fingers and will thus barely be able to use that hand in the rest of the altercation.

In the pure animalistic behaviour of self defence when subject to violent attack, I reckon most people will keep things very simple, and all strikes will be made with simple fists, open palms or elbows or basic low kicks. And lots of grabbing and pushing.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I primarily look at the spear hand as a reach and grab.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLLEARNER wrote:

Yeah, that's a good point because not many utilize the spear hand as a go-to technique as one would use a punch; comfort and all.

Shindokan teaches the spear hand, but in my 53 years of training in Shindokan, I admit freely, that the spear hand isn't my go-to technique; situation, space permitted, would have me go-to the spear hand.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
LLLEARNER wrote:

Yeah, that's a good point because not many utilize the spear hand as a go-to technique as one would use a punch; comfort and all.

Shindokan teaches the spear hand, but in my 53 years of training in Shindokan, I admit freely, that the spear hand isn't my go-to technique; situation, space permitted, would have me go-to the spear hand.

It could also be use as a pre-emptive strike. Thinking how it is used in Heian Nidan, the support hand can grab a sleeve and push it away (twisting the body away) while the strike hand either strikes or grabs.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLLEARNER wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
LLLEARNER wrote:

It could also be use as a pre-emptive strike. Thinking how it is used in Heian Nidan, the support hand can grab a sleeve and push it away (twisting the body away) while the strike hand either strikes or grabs.

True. The Bunkai can be all over the place. Choosing which one is both practical as well as effective are all part of the Oyo portions; knowledge and experience can oftentimes make the decision through resistive training.

Albeit, BJJ/MMA more than likely would steer clear of the spear hand all together for that practitioners own reason(s).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: