Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Those Who Know and Those That Think They Know!! Reply with quote

You've been on the floor for quite some time, a significant amount of time, and a student/practitioner of the MA who's not been on the floor that long, and they start to voice their opinion(s) with the tone that they've been on the floor as long as you, if not longer than you.

I see this more from Kyu ranked students/practitioners, than I do from Dan ranks, even though, once in a while, once one earns a Shodan, they all of a sudden have much more knowledge and experience than you do.

How do you handle/deal it??

Me, well, depends on their attitude. If it's respectful, I say, out of the mouth of babes, and I smile. If it's not respectful, then I counsel them, if they're my student or a student of Shindokan. If the practitioner isn't one of my students or not a practitioner of Shindokan, I simply separate myself from them conversationally across the board; nothing can be gained.

After all, proof is on the floor...not in the spoken and/or written word(s)!!

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question. I've experienced that a few times, and have probably been unintentionally guilty of it a few times too.

I personally like to say 'OK, let's see it your way', and then dissect it honestly, acknowledging good points, but showing bad points by demonstrating how they can be easily overcome. For example, if a takedown attempt has no effect on me, rather than smugly pointing out that their way didn't work, I like to explain why it didn't. Perhaps they were positioned a bit too far away, perhaps they didn't take my balance, perhaps they tried to force the strongest part of my arm etc.

But equally it's a tricky one because if a student resists a technique, there is a chance it won't work, in the context of safe training and demo. If I am demonstrating a takedown for example, and my opponent resists, I have two options. I can abandon the attempt, or I can add some realism of my own. The trouble with the former is it can result in you being undermined slightly. The trouble with the latter is if someone genuinely tries to make you fail, it takes a lot of control to find just the right balance of force to make it work but without causing injury, remembering that the technique being demonstrated might be designed to destroy several joints to immobilise the assailant, while in the training hall of course the goal is to make your friend go to the floor in a controlled way, able to get up again, bow, and continue training.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really interested to see the responses on this one. Need some ideas on how to combat this myself.

Usually I just ignore as they will come undone at some point. Or if they persist, I tend to ask them to come out and demonstrate and try to show them they are not so clever.

For what it's worth illusory superiority is common right across all fields. People tend to think they're cleverer then they are or a better driver than everyone else or better at their job https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_superiority

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensei8,

I am surprised that you would be having difficulties.

The answer is in you many, many posts. The proof is on the floor.

What they think they know and what they actually know comes out on the floor. Humility is often learned when attempting to be something of know something and then being allowed to prove it. It is the best teacher of humility.

Or an expression that my mother used often, give them enough rope...

Ask them to prove that they know more. Have them show you. It will definitely work itself out when they realize that their ego is bigger then their common sense. Problem solved.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still a student (green belt, here!)

So... no, not too many folks have done that to me in TKD. But I've had it happen in the classroom when I'm teaching math. It can be frustrating to deal with in front of the class... Sometimes valuable teaching moments come from these occurrences. other times its best to deal with it privately.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
I'm really interested to see the responses on this one. Need some ideas on how to combat this myself.

Usually I just ignore as they will come undone at some point. Or if they persist, I tend to ask them to come out and demonstrate and try to show them they are not so clever.

For what it's worth illusory superiority is common right across all fields. People tend to think they're cleverer then they are or a better driver than everyone else or better at their job https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_superiority

I agree, that it is seen across the board in many fields. I would tend to believe that this most often (but not always) manifests in the younger crowd, with the exuberance of youth. I think its quite common, even for youth to start challenging their parents. I think its the confidence that comes with being younger, stronger, and faster (in their physical prime) that causes them to overstep their bounds and believe they know more or know better than they actually let on.

I guess I'm fortunate in that we don't experience a whole lot of this at our school. In DT training, I see it show up at times. When questions are asked, usually in the form of "what if?", the system works well enough to answer those questions. In TKD classes, usually after time using the applications in class, the experience comes through and answers those questions.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
Sensei8,

What they think they know and what they actually know comes out on the floor. Humility is often learned when attempting to be something of know something and then being allowed to prove it. It is the best teacher of humility.

Ask them to prove that they know more. Have them show you. It will definitely work itself out when they realize that their ego is bigger then their common sense. Problem solved.

LOL!! No difficulties from me, at all!! I just wanted to start a conversation!!

I giggle or frown, depending on the situation, whenever a Kyu ranked student assumes a position that they've no business or right to. Oftentimes, I don't have to be a witness for the floor because they have proven to me through a very short conversation with them what I suspected before; they've not the minimum of an idea what they're talking about.

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured as much.

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
MatsuShinshii wrote:
Sensei8,

LOL!! No difficulties from me, at all!! I just wanted to start a conversation!!

I giggle or frown, depending on the situation, whenever a Kyu ranked student assumes a position that they've no business or right to. Oftentimes, I don't have to be a witness for the floor because they have proven to me through a very short conversation with them what I suspected before; they've not the minimum of an idea what they're talking about.

What was that old saying? The biggest threat to a black belt is his ego?

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is. In today's world, knowing ones capabilities and being honest about them is a rarity. Humility is not a common commodity today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: