Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Thought processes of the criminal mind Reply with quote

This post is spawned from an article in the December 2008 issue of Black Belt Magazine. It essentially discusses three elements to the thought process of an attacker.

1. Desire to attack. This stems from ideas of what one may gain from attacking you, be it monetary or social approval (like through a gang). He/she is attempting to fill a need.

2. Opportunity to attack. How? He may see you as being too comfortable or complacent in your current surroundings. You may be distracted by being on the phone, or he may notice that you routinely let others enter your personal zone.

3. Ability to attack. This usually relates to any physical advantage he might have over you. Size, weapons, numbers, etc.

This is a very brief overview of the outline of the article, but I fealt that it offered some very good information to think about when you are out and around. The author also states that one should not be paranoid, but just aware of what goes on around. Paranoia can make one too edgy, I think. Awareness is much more healthy, I think.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All good things to consider.

Paranoa will actually lead to a state of hyper readiness which will decrease your bodies ability to respond to threats due to the stress it places on you sympathetic nervous system constantly.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realize that. I guess the overload of worry could do that, though.

Tiger1962
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Former SBD; interest in all training styles.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another suggestion which might sound crazy and be quite a challenge is to try and think like an attacker would. There are plenty books out there on the "criminal mind" and anticipating how they would approach / attack may enable one to be more prepared or at the least, have a broader view on possibilities.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Thought processes of the criminal mind Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:

1. Desire to attack. . . .

2. Opportunity to attack. . . . How? He may see you as being too comfortable or complacent in your current surroundings. You may be distracted by being on the phone, or he may notice that you routinely let others enter your personal zone.

3. Ability to attack. . . .

The author also states that one should not be paranoid, but just aware of what goes on around. Paranoia can make one too edgy, I think. Awareness is much more healthy, I think.

There's not much someone can do about the first and third observations, except to be aware that this is how the criminal mind works, and to concentrate on the second observation. I didn't read the article, but in thinking about 1, 2, 3, I wonder if I wouldn't have presented them as 1, 3, 2, simply because, IMHO, 1 and 3 practically point to 2. At any rate, it's something that's within one's power to control or to control as best as humanly possible.

Paranoid/paranoia . . . Dysfunctional and downright unhealthy. Awareness? The right path to take.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: