Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Thoughts on Chito-Ryu karate and Koseido-Ryu Jiu Jitsu? Reply with quote

Hello! I recently moved to Pennsylvania, and the closest dojo teaches these two styles of martial arts - Chito Ryu Karate and Koseido Ryu Jiu Jitsu. I’ve actually trained here before, years ago, and had mixed feelings about their karate classes. Since they’re the closest “traditional” dojo in my area, I’m considering giving them another try (post quarantine).

- their jiu jitsu classes are great, and brutal. The techniques I remember doing felt simple, yet effective. I felt like I could use their techniques to study karate bunkai! Classes are held twice a week.

- their karate classes seemed very poorly thought out, or maybe I’m being picky. Classes are held only twice a week, and when I trained there for roughly a month, we only did kata once or twice. Coming from Matsubayashi Ryu, that’s a huge red flag for me.

- seemingly, their karate classes consisted of a warmup, some kihon, and random self defense drills that were demonstrated and then practiced in groups of 2.

- as for the instructors, mainly the guy who was in charge of jiu jitsu classes, their technique looked awesome! Meanwhile, the karate instructors were very out of shape and I wasn’t impressed by their performance (GSP reference). But, all instructors were trained in both styles.

QUESTIONS
- Is that just how Chito Ryu is practiced?
- Am I better off training Matsubayashi on my own and just learning their jiu jitsu?
- and, honestly, am I missing something? I’d hate to be ignorant.

I’m torn between my desire for martial arts knowledge, and fear of wasting my time/money.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My observations of Chito-ryu are far and away from what you've described. Anytime I've crossed trained with Chito-ryu practitioners at their dojo's, their training sessions were alive, and not dead whatsoever.

Their heavy in every aspect of training, whether it be Kata, which is quite a lot of training in, as well as their Bunkai, and Kubodo; a very solid training mix. The feeling of its Okinawan roots, to all intents and purposes by its exposure of traditional Okinawan Tode; perhaps that's why I was drawn to cross train with its practitioners as often as permissible. It's stamp of intimacy with Shibori and Tai Sabaki are predominant.

Remember, this is my observation, and in that, it should be possibly taken with a grain of salt; after all, my background, while it's Okinawan, it isn't Chito-ryu. Perhaps Chito-ryu practitioners here might chime in to set my observations correct.

From what you say about the Karate instructor, it tends to cause me to repeat one of my signature believes...

Not all black belts can teach, nor should they ever try.

Perhaps that instructor has solid techniques and the like, but has zero abilities to convey what's necessary for the students as a teacher.

As far as that particular Jiu Jitsu style, I've not much exposure to it, as much as I wish I had. Nonetheless, from what your OP speaks about that instructor, it appears that that instructor, that black belt, can convey what's necessary for the students as a teacher.

I gather that your core is Matsubayashi, and that there's no Matsubayashi dojo's nearby. Sure, continuing training on your own is important as to not acquire any undue rust, therefore, improvement/maturity in technique might occur, but to what advanced degree, is to be seen, especially while on your own, without the proper guidance of a qualified instructor on the floor with you.

Seems to me that the Jiu Jitsu class might be the top choice, and it's a shame that that Chito-ryu instructor isn't any better across the board as a teacher. That would've been my preferred choice because Matsubayashi and Chito-ryu is far more germane than with Jui Jitsu, had the Karate instructor a far better grasp of teaching.

Imho.

scohen0300
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Matsubayashi Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2020 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sensei8,

Thank you for that response! What you described in those Chito Ryu classes is much more similar to my Matsubayashi school. I’d still love to hear what other Chito Ryu practitioners have to say, but I might just stay clear of the karate classes at this place.

I do have my Shodan in Matsubayashi, but I’m well aware that the learning doesn’t stop there. Hungry!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: